Are inaccurate movies a blessing in disguise?

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Are inaccurate movies a blessing in disguise?

Post by Alatar »

I finally watched Kingdom of Heaven last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it, trebuchets and all. It did raise an interesting question for me.

I always assume any movie has been Hollywood-ised, so I therefore assume that it bears only a vague resemblance to the facts. This naturally prompts me to wonder what really happened, which makes me go look it up or try to find out more. If movies were more accurate, I'd probably be inclined to treat them as "clifff notes" and be content with a vague idea of what happened. Instead I'm more inclined to assume its 90% fabrication, so I have to go look at a more accurate source.

In other words, Historical movies are not just fictional, they're sufficiently fictional to prompt further study. Is that a good thing?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I'm afraid you're in the minority, Alatar. I think the vast majority of those who have watched '300' or 'Braveheart' have assumed they've got it all straight from the horse's mouth.

There are so many people who believe advertising, after all. ;)
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I'm afraid Impy is right, Alatar. Most people accept the movie as fact.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I have to agree with Alatar. If a historical film fascinates me, I usually make some attempt to find out more about the time and the people—which usually involves finding out that the film was way off. This goes far back for me; I remember watching Anne of the Thousand Days and The Six Wives of Henry VIII as a young teen and going on an English history kick that lasted for a couple of years.

I don't know that the "history books" I read were necessarily that much better than the films—they were what I could find in the neighborhood library—but I certainly wouldn't have just spontaneously picked them up.

And I still do that to some extent. Though I haven't ever seen either Braveheart or 300.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm afraid I think that you and Alatar are the exception, rather than the rule, Prim.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Impenitent wrote:I'm afraid you're in the minority, Alatar. I think the vast majority of those who have watched '300' or 'Braveheart' have assumed they've got it all straight from the horse's mouth.
Braveheart, maybe. But only the very stupid would think 300 was accurate. The movie is borderline fantasy what with its trolls and mutants and such.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Well, you know it was ancient Greece. They had minotaurs and centaurs and Tauruses, so they probably had mutants and trolls too. :D
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Good point. 8)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, there are limits to the "historical" films I'll watch; brutal violence usually keeps me away in any case. I can handle it in books, but films are too much "in my face," even on DVD.

I like my historical films with lute playing, witty dialogue, and pretty costumes, not people hacking each other in half—even if the latter is more historically accurate. :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

I remember watching Anne of the Thousand Days and The Six Wives of Henry VIII as a young teen and going on an English history kick that lasted for a couple of years.
Exactly the same here. :shock:

Those movies started me on some serious Tudor-fascination. :D

But I'd still agree with Imp, that many people take the movies as fact. And even if not, the books they might go to from them are possibly not much better fare than the movies.
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

The movie "Amadeus" sent me in search of a decent biography of Mozart. The best one I read was written (I think) by Charlotte Daniels, who hated the movie with a passion! But the movie was fantastic in how it portrayed the dress and customs of the people, the class divisions and how Mozart's music reached past the upper class and was embraced by the masses. And of course, all the music was his. I use portions of it when I teach classical music...the kids are always amazed by how everyone wore a wig - men and women alike. (Mozart adored wigs and spent a good deal of his money on them!)

I think any "historical" movie is necessarily going to contain a lot of fiction an invented scenes. My criteria is: does it capture the "essence" of the event or time? If it is purely factual, then it's a documentary.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Interesting, hobby! Same films, same reaction. . . .

(Anne of the Thousand Days was the first "M"-rated film I ever got to see! My parents took me. It had sex in it! Well, people in bed without their clothes on, anyway. And someone said "virgin." Gracious!)

For me, history and historical fiction are both much more enjoyable if I have some clear image of how people dressed and lived at the time. Then I can visualize as I read. Even a very un-historical "historical" film usually gets that much right. (Not 300, I understand!)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Exactly Jewel, movies are entertainment, and their primary goal is to entertain, not to educate. Still, I think a lot of you are giving very little credit to the majority of the population. Surely its not true that we as a group are so much smarter than everyone else! Even my 8 year old daughter knows that movies aren't "real".
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I'm in Alatar's camp. Seeing a movie that either pretends to be historical or is set in a particular era always sends me scurrying to research what really happened.

Certainly a lot of people will assume the movies are completely factual, but even so, their interest might be stirred to the point that they read more about the subject -- and then discover the inaccuracies.

Consider "Jurassic Park," which sent every kid who wasn't already enthralled by dinosaurs to scour library shelves for information on them.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

All this is fine if one actually does go to a book to discover an accurate account. For the majority who don't the film version is the only one. I have seen several opinions over the years on message-boards that recounted a film/movie version account as reliable history, even cit!ting the film title as proof. Given that Brits are currently the Hollywood villain of choice this can become a trifle tiresome. (cf Mel Gibson)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, Tosh, someone who accepts a movie as accurate history has got a problem in any case. If there were no wrongo movies to cite, they would be citing History Channel or Discovery Channel TV specials, or junk pop history books, or their own unswerving but uninformed convictions.

It's unfortunate that such sweeping wrong impressions are created, but often the movie's mistaken version is already the popular impression before the movie is even made.

I have one unshakable opinion about history, and that is that I don't know a darn thing about history. I don't even know which books to trust, or which sources to trust for lists of trustworthy books. :P
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I see Alatar's point. I'm not sure I agree, though. For instance, I watched Painted Veil over the weekend. Until I read this thread, it didn't occur to me to wonder how accurately the movie depicted the situation in China in 1920s. It was beautifully filmed and the historical context was only their as a background to the relationship between the two principal characters. The movie didn't really make me go and seek out the accurate information on the subject, which is not in my immediate sphere of interests. Yet it is possible that at some point I might unconsciously substitute the facts as portrayed in the movie for the actual knowledge.

What is wrong with movies using accurate information to prod interest in historical research? :P
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Nothing at all, Frelga—but often the true story is much less thrilling and much less well known than the myths movies choose to depict instead. Heroes have feet of clay; noble aspirations can be traced to squalid motivations. It's not the story about ourselves that we want to hear or believe.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Alys, exactly! If the subject matter is (or becomes) near and dear to my heart, I might well do my own research. But I would have anyway! On something that is just of a passing interest, I'll take the movie-supplied info without bothering to challenge or verify it.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alys

Post by Alys »

Oh sorry Frelga! I deleted my post, I didn't think anyone would have read it... :oops: