Are single player games doomed?

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Are single player games doomed?

Post by Alatar »

I presume this is the right forum for gaming? Anyway, move if not!

Just got this link today from The Angel. Fascinating read....
Are single-player games doomed?

The entire video game industry’s history thus far has been an aberration. It has been a mutant monster only made possible by unconnected computers. People always play games together. All of you learned to play games with each other. When you were kids, you played tag, tea parties, cops and robbers, what have you. The single-player game is a strange mutant monster which has only existed for 21 years and is about to go away because it is unnatural and abnormal.

– me, at the Churchill Club

Well, that one set the cat among the pigeons…

After 24 hours, we see story after story after story after story after story on this, and of course, I also got a bunch of emails from co-workers, including the memorably titled “Are you serious?”

Yes, I am serious, but it’s worth digging into the topic a bit more thoroughly.

Historically speaking, single-player games are indeed an aberration.

Games are either symmetric or asymmetric. The vast majority of games are symmetric games: that is, games where the opposition to a player’s activity has the same choices to make as the player does. In tennis, both players get a racket, and a side of the court; in chess, both players get a side of the board and the same array of pieces, and so on. In the pre-electronic days, there were very few asymmetric games.

Some, like fox and geese, literally provided different pieces and choices to each side (the best-known modern multiplayer asymmetric game is probably Starcraft). Others, like solitaire, relied on randomization to provide the cognitive challenge to the player. Upon occasion, you would get asymmetric puzzles, as in crossword puzzles or the current rage of sudoku, but these aren’t really games in the strict sense.

It isn’t until the advent of the computer that we suddenly get widespread asymmetric design. The earliest computer games were symmetric ones — Pong, Spacewar. But quickly, the power of the computer meant that the opponent’s role was taken by primitive AI, and very quickly, developers realized that the very nature of computers meant that the opponent would likely have to have different choices than the player did. The result was games like Space Invaders, where the set of moves available to the player’s opponent is extremely different from what the player can choose from.

The videogame industry became set in an asymmetric pattern pretty early on, and has remained largely in that pattern for a variety of reasons.

* Human interface factors. It is difficult to get multiple people around a computer monitor.
* The invention of co-operative play, which permitted players to mimic symmetric sports games (both Gauntlet and the 100m hurdles share this structure; players play in parallel against the same opposition, which in the case of hurdles happens to be physics).
* As computers developed, it becamse easier to deliver stories using them. It’s notable than many of the objections to my sweeping statement centered around affection for story — not around affection for gameplay.

Taken as a whole, it’s clear that the computer enabled a vibrant new branch of game types to come into full flower — the asymmetric game flourished on the computer, and by and large is clumsy in person-to-person gaming.

However, it’s also worth noting that from very early on, electronic games were also employed in a multiplayer fashion. After all, computers, from very early on, were envisioned to be networked. Right when mainframes were first proliferating across campuses, Spacewar appeared in multiplayer form. Right when PLATO terminals appeared, they were promptly used for multiplayer gaming. Right when personal computers started to be deployed in homes, MUDs were invented to take advantage of early forms of the Internet. When those personal computers were at their peak with the Apple II, Atari 8-bit, and Commodore machines, they came with multiple joystick ports so you oculd play with your friends. Right when online services first began to provide walled gardens for subscribers, there were multiplayer games there to rake in millions of dollars.

The multiplayer game never went away. It especially never went away if you consider how much of even single-player gaming was played with an audience. The default mode of playing a console game today is with multiple people on a couch. In a very real sense, we regularly play single-player games as multiplayer ones, passing the controller around, spectating, and so on. Modern market research data shows that the myth of the solitary gamer bathing in the glow of their cathode ray tube is just that, a myth.

It can be argued that the major reason why so many games were designed for single-player play instead was because of who was doing the designing. If you survey personality types, you’ll find that the personality type of the gamer is strongly introverted. In 21st Century Game Design Bateman and Boon identify what is generally considered to be the core gamer market as mostly INTJ, ISTJ, INTP and ISTP in the Myers-Briggs typology. As they say of their “hardcore conqueror” segment,

The Myers-Briggs types that dominate this cluster (INTJ, ISTJ) are two of four types that research has shown to be common to programmers, and indeed, Type 1 gameplay dominates current game design assumptions in most developers and publishers. In some cases, it seems that this has been identified as the only style of “legitimate” gameplay…

The types of games these players prefer? Action games and computer role-playing games (which it should be noted have very little to do with face to face roleplaying, when regarded from a mechanical perspective, being mostly about acquisition and power fantasies).

These four Myers-Briggs types represent only 33% of the American population. More significatly, they represent only 19% of women.

According to Bateman and Boon, it’s actually the “participant” player type who represents the larger cluster in the general population. They go on to state, “In truth, we lknow very little about these players…”

It is therefore unsurprising to see commentary on my statement that reads like this:

Such optimism towards human interaction is just wonderful, but lets face it. Playing video games in any context will always be much more rewarding than actual human interaction.
-A poster on the Joystiq thread

What we see there, people, is the introvert in action.

It is hardly a major prediction to state that as games that reach these segments become available, that they will be connected in some fashion. And indeed, the major casual games sites, which have enormous female populations, are heavily community-oriented.

Today, even single-player games are played in “connected” fashion. The poster child for this is, of course, Xbox Live. Every single-player game on that platform has online profiles, special badges called “achievements,” awareness of other players playing in parallel — basically, all the qualities of playing games in a living room in parallel, all the qualities of playing in parallel in an arcade, all the qualities of a playground. Competing for a high score in Geometry Wars 2 is exactly the same as engaging in a footrace against the clock; you are playing a lengthy extended parallel symmetric game against other players, whilst you are also playing an asymmetric one against the direct opponent (the computer, in the case of Geometry Wars; physics, in the case of the footrace).

But this is hardly the only way in which this happens. These days, the forums attached to a game are part of the gameplay experience. The collaborative building of walkthroughs is part of the game. The sharing of screenshots is part of the game. The trading of user-created game assets is part of the game. These are all forms of multiplayer play. They have a direct impact on the gameplay experience. They often serve as badges, as profiles, and as awareness of other players playing in parallel.

Some have accused World of Warcraft of being a “massively single-player game” in that it enables solo play to such an extent that you can play much of the game by yourself. Unsurprisingly, many of the current hardcore gamer community cite the attraction of playing by themselves “near other people.” There’s that introvert again… and once again, what the game provides is badges of achievement in the form of levels, profiles in the form of avatars, and awareness other players playing in parallel, via chat channels. And the difference is…?

Half the PC game market revenue comes from games on networks. Casual games, found on websites with forums and chat channels and online scoreboards; and massively multiplayer games, which brings those things within the game. The dwindling segment is the single-player eloaborately architected authorial experience. Even there, vast swaths of the market demand multiplayer content now; try making an action game without it, even a heavily story-driven one. Even the elaborately story-driven experiences made by developers like Bioware and Bethesda come with tools designed to enable players to trade game content.

In addition, the console market will be 99% connected gameplay by the end of 2008 or so as current consoles are abandoned. The entire next-gen is going to a connected experience. Even the most heavily single-player driven experience, the RPGs and story games, will be intrinsically connected. You will never be playing alone; there will always be other players there right on the other side of a network adapter. You will be playing a single-player game only in the sense that a kid on a playground who is swinging on a swing is “playing alone” in the crowd of other kids playing near them, waiting turns, pushing them, and competing with them to see who can loop-de-loop the swing and be the first in the school to crack open their skull.

In the end, there are some fundamental trends driving all this.

* It’s now physically possible. It wasn’t before. But very soon, all gaming platforms will be on the Net.
* We’re actually getting everyone to play, instead of only the introverted geeks.
* This larger audience is partly driven by the fact that the geeks want games that are too damn expensive to break even given how few geeks there are.
* Lastly, even the introverted geeks want social approval, so they engage in wrapping their games with social content that demands connection, such as walkthroughs and forums.

None of this takes away anything from the immersive story-driven experience that many gamers love. The dense rich RPGs, the elaborate RTS campaigns, the lengthy searches for secrets of the platformer, these things will all still be there as long as we can afford to make them. But they won’t be the single-player game as we know it today. Some compare these sorts of experiences to books. But books are also enjoyed as social activities today — they are traded in book clubs, they are read in classrooms, they are recommended on television and argued about in newspapers. Few books are truly enjoyed as solitary experiences except on a truly momentary level.

Single-player gaming is doomed, because already today, the large crowd playing Solitaire is doing it online, whilst chatting in a chat room, because they can; because the RPG player is doing it whilst chatting with friends about the plot in a chat room, because they can; because fundamentally, the vast majority of humans want human contact even if only fleeting. We want to know where we stand compared to everyone else, whether what we like matches what the world likes, and whether or not others care that we are there.

That’s the connected future. You need to get used to it, because it’s halfway here already.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

So....what's the point, exactly? That more games adding online content as online becomes more widely available? Um...duh? But that doesn't change that SP games like Zelda, Metal Gear, God of War, Mario, ect ect are still amongst the most popular and anticipated games around. Do Xbox-like achievements or leaderboards really change that core gameplay? I'd say no.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Its a little more complex than that yov. The fact is that the return on investment is far higher for something like "The Sims" than it is on Half Life 2. Even dedicated FPS gamers like me are now playing MMO's almost exclusively. There will certainly remain a niche market for good quality single player games, but their time of dominance looks to be at an end. It's only a theory of course, but it seems pretty compelling to me.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Do I think there will be more non-introverted game designs and designers at work in the future, and thus more deeply interactive games? Yes. But turn the Meyers-Briggs numbers around. 33% of the population is a huge demographic, especially since it's a demographic proven to WANT games built by introverts for introverts. The single-player focus will remain a dominant force in game design so long as that's the case.

There's also a hidden advantage to SP games--time. Even for RTS games, if I play against one or more human opponents, it takes many times longer than if I play against computer AI. People take longer to make decisions than scripts. So if I want to sit down and play something like Civilization, I can set aside a few hours if I'm going to be on the computer, or..well, actually, I've never tried playing the PC version with other humans, because it would take forever. :D
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I don't think I buy it. The online content will continue to expand, certainly. But I think it's just that market expanding, not it shutting out the demand for SP gaming. The PC market is different - it's been changing for years, primarily because the console market has taken over it in so many aspects. Online is one of the few aspects that PC has long done better than consoles (along with sims and strategy games) so I think that's why the PC market shifted so strongly towards online. It's one of the few remaining areas it can still compete with consoles.

But in the console market, the SP game is still extremely popular. MGS4 is probably the most anticipated game for PS3 and it's solely SP to my knowledge. Ditto Wii's upcomin Metriod and Mario games. Not to mention the enormous popularity of online-less GTA and the loooooonglasting success of the FF series. You could go on and on. Even as the current gen of console get more and more online, series of that nature ain't going nowhere and show no sign of losing ground in the popularity game.
-The Decemberists

narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Modern market research data shows that the myth of the solitary gamer bathing in the glow of their cathode ray tube is just that, a myth.

I'm feeling quite mythical!

My favorite games have always been solitary - solitaire card games, Railroad Tycoon, Frac 3d and 4D (three-dimensional and four-dimensional versions of Tetris), and the word puzzles that the author brushes off as non-games. These games are mentally stimulating and make me feel a little "ah" of pleasure each time I am successful at a particular task. I get in the zone and forget about the rest of my life. They are relaxing and stimulating at the same time.

Like most introverts, I find interacting with people in a chat room atmosphere to be as unnerving, unpleasant, and unsatisfying as chatting at a cocktail party. It is like the proverbial problem of feeding an elephant one straw at a time - he'll be busy eating, but starve to death just the same. There is not enough going on to engage my mind.

On the other hand, when I can get several friends together to play bridge or hearts, I find the experience quite enjoyable. Instead of it being 4 people sitting across the table from one another in uncomfortable silence or forced small talk, it is four people concentrating on a game, relaxing, and letting a little small talk slip out. It's similar to sitting around the table eating - it gives us permission to have a slower rhythm and the excuse to be silent at times.

So games, for me, are for two different purposes:
1. Private amusement and brain stimulation.
2. A way to ease into social conversation without feeling awkward.

What I really dislike is sitting and watching someone else play a game of skill or worldbuilding on the computer. My stomach gets all tied up in knots and I have to resist making endless suggestions or grabbing the joystick for myself. The situation is too stressful for the game player to have any meaningful conversation, so it is neither fish nor fowl.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

There are levels of introversion and levels of social interaction people want around their games.

The author glibly dismisses puzzle games such as Sudoku as "not really games at all." Oh? But so many SP games ARE puzzles, from Myst to Solitair to yes, Sudoku. People who enjoy them don't need a human antagonist. There may be a community sprouting to discuss the best Sudoku-solving strategies, but it's not part of the game itself. In the same way, a community sharing guitar playing tips doesn't make the guitar a multi-player instrument (solo guitar, OK, let's leave out ansembles for now. ;) )

OTOH,
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

More obviously anti-that-person's-theory, it was that "introvert" gamer that has pushed and pioneered the multiplayer gaming, with it's first big push coming way back with Doom in the early 90s. Not to mention that the most hardcore gamers in existence right now are probably the massively multiplayer RPG gamers.
-The Decemberists

narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I just finished a delightful book, Susan Monk Kidd's The Mermaid's Chair. One of the characters mused about how he couldn't meditate for 2 minutes without the cares of the world overwhelming him, but he could lose himself in watching a baseball game, in the intricacies of the scoring and nuances of the game, and forget about all of his troubles.

Baseball doesn't do it for me, but other games do allow me to feel unalloyed happiness, for a while anyway. But they are all of the puzzle-solving, engineering, making-my-world-a-better-place type, not the first-person shooter type. In fact, the thought of someone deriving the same kind of simple pleasures from a shooting game gives me the creeps.

The multi-person games give me a similar pleasure, especially if they are cooperative. Unfortunately, though, I seldom have a group of people together and the opportunity to play games. Perhaps I should start going to Scrabble Night at the local coffee shop.

I play chess with random other people at Redhotpawn.com, but they are a bunch of nerds. Every single one of them. :D You should see their forum!
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Quite a few games have single and multiplayer options.
In fact some mmorpgs and the like can be played alone.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I hate Online games.

I enjoy multiplayer, but I orefer Single player games. You are relying only on yourself.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Which is strangely the attraction of online games. No Computer AI can recreate the dynamics of a wildcard human. :)
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Seeing that the article speaks of playing games in general (mentioning 'tag' etc)...

I'm an only child and have been playing single player games for as long as I can remember.

And that's more than 21 years.

:P

Of course, not computer games, but even in those (as far as I play - not real computer games, just normal games, only on the computer - LOL) I like the single player ones.
It's not about playing against the computer, but playing against yourself. Beating your own record can become quite an obsession, I have found. :blackeye:

I do enjoy playing with other people, but I'm not overly competitive if I do. I find it a bit impolite to be too eager to win.

Another problem is having people to play with around. When yahoo messenger had games available, I occasionally used to play their single player games, because I wasn't too interested to play with random people, and the people I know don't play (or not the kind of game I like).
I do, however, play online with real people when the site offers ways to interact with the person at the other end as with a real person, not just a non-AI opponent, so, like narya, I enjoy playing e-mail chess on a website. You get to talk to people a bit, even though the acquaintance usually ends with the game.
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Taurie

Post by Taurie »

It's been no big secret in the games industry that 'Multiplayer is the future' since Peter Molyneaux (creator of Populous/Black and white) proclaimed it in the early nineties. I personally think most games will be multiplayer eventually.

But there will always be a place for single player games for various reasons. Not only will retro gaming remain, but there will also be the hardcore that still want singleplayer games. Even now specialist devcos still produce 'old skool' 2D scrolling shooters for the dreamcast and the present consoles, although this is a very niche market. But more importantly, with more portable gaming devices around, the need for a 'quick fix' does not gel very well with all that goes in setting up a multiplayer session.

Matty.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I am not at all the kind of person game creators market to, but I must say I played Myst and its sequels alone and purely for relaxation.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

You played Myst for relaxation? :suspicious:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

When I wasn't obsessed with a puzzle, it was pleasant just to wander around and look at things. I really liked the design of those games. And the environmental sounds (wind, lapping water) were relaxing in themselves.

I like games where things don't leap out and try to kill you.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Primula Baggins wrote:I like games where things don't leap out and try to kill you.
:D

I like tetris and sudoku. I think I just like puzzles, nutting things out. I also like SimCity! I like that alot and I wonder whether it's the urban planner in me. :D
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Impenitent wrote:I like tetris and sudoku. I think I just like puzzles, nutting things out. I also like SimCity! I like that alot and I wonder whether it's the urban planner in me. :D
I :love: :love: :love: Tetris! Russia's best contribution to modern civilization. :P

I've never understood the appeal of person-simulator games like Sims (not that I ever played) or Second Life. Maybe it's because the avatars are so young and skinny. When they introduce size twelve grown up women, they can talk to me. :nono:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Primula Baggins wrote:When I wasn't obsessed with a puzzle, it was pleasant just to wander around and look at things. I really liked the design of those games. And the environmental sounds (wind, lapping water) were relaxing in themselves.

I like games where things don't leap out and try to kill you.
Yes it was fun to look around and it did have relaxing sounds, but those puzzles were killers! That is so not my idea of relaxation. Pretty much puzzles in general make me agitated.
Frelga wrote:I've never understood the appeal of person-simulator games like Sims (not that I ever played) or Second Life.
I really liked playing The Sims though really my favorite part was building and decorating houses. But it was fun to control other "lives"...manipulate them to do bad or good things and watch the consequences.