The Golden Compass Trailer

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Northerner

Post by Northerner »

Daughter and I saw it yesterday, and thought it was a solid B. Changing the ending was a terrible mistake. Good acting, lovely effects and a good adaptation of a book that isn't terrible cinematic. I'd say you'd have to look hard to find any attack on religion in the film. Another half hour would have really helped to give the characters a bit more fleshing out. It reminded me of the theatrical cut of FOTR in that way.

Interestingly, from what I've read, it's doing great numbers in Europe and Britain, and only fair in the US.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

You'd have to either be really on the ball or have read the book to work out that the authority was God and the magisterium the church.

I think more should have been made of the whole politics within the magisterium thing. You know, the Oblation Board v. The College of Bishops and so on.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

It gets a solid B from SciFi.com

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/screen/sfw17553.html

Interestingly:
Gone are the downbeat events of the first book's last two chapters. Weitz actually shot and then cut them. So, in the event The Golden Compass tanks, be on the lookout for the most expensive DVD extras—or the most comprehensive director's-cut DVD—ever produced.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Well, I enjoyed it, although I didn't think it was brilliant.

Boy, the ending is truncated! But I wouldn't regard it as two hours wasted.

What I did love, madly, was the film's superb production design. Absolutely loved Alternative Universe Oxford and AU London!

Nicole Kidman is icy, menacing perfection as Marisa Coulter. What wonderful casting.

I thought Dakota Blue Richards did a great job as Lyra: as the central performance, this kid really holds her own.

As a character, Lyra is kind of annoying, a sort of cross between Lúthien Tinúviel and Harry Potter. I mean, the kid's practically Superwoman. But Dakota's acting is just dandy.

I liked the score very much: really caught the atmosphere very well.

And it's impossible not to enjoy Ian McKellan voicing an armoured bear!

Gosh, there are some creepy scenes: the scene where they try to separate Lyra from her daemon Pantalaimon is just horrible. Creepy.
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

And it's impossible not to enjoy Ian McKellan voicing an armoured bear!
Oh my goodness yes...

That man has an amazing voice... :love: :love: :love:
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Finally saw this with the kids yestarday, catching up on some family time after the show!

I really enjoyed it, and so did they. I think they captured the book wonderfully, even if alternative Oxford felt a bit "futuristic" rather than simply alternate reality. The effects were very good, but not up to Weta's standard in LotR. I found myself wishing for a little of PJ's "excess" during the Panzerbeorn fight, which was pretty tame, consisting of about three quick scuffles, a hurt paw and an out of nowhere killer blow. Whatever else you can say about PJ, he knows action. He'd have sent that scene back to Weta and told them to start from scratch.

I'm really genuinely puzzled as to why it flopped though. The only explanation I can give is that the Bible thumpers really made a difference this time. It seems bizarre to me, but I have to assume their negative publicity campaign worked. Cause this film deserved to be a success. Not on a LotR level, granted, but certainly on a Narnia level.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Quite possibly the worst movie I have ever seen. I am amazed at how bad I thought it was. If they really did "capture the book wonderfully" as Al says above, then I sure am glad that I never read the book.

What a waste of a perfectly good evening!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'd be interested to know why? Was it the plot, the characters, the imagery?

This surprises me a lot, for you to describe it as "Quite possibly the worst movie I have ever seen." is something I can't understand, particularly given your reaction to Vison saying the same thing about LotR. You described her reaction as hyperbole.

Now, I'm not saying this was LotR standard, but the worst movie you've ever seen? Sorry Voronwë, but either you've led a very sheltered life or you're indulging in a little hyperbole of your own.

Interestingly, I had intended to return to this thread to ask if the real ending was included on the Special Edition DVD. Anyone know?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Alatar wrote: Sorry Voronwë, but either you've led a very sheltered life or you're indulging in a little hyperbole of your own.
Probably a bit of both. ;) I don't see a heck of a lot of films, so when I do, I try to make sure that it is something that I am likely to like. I took a chance with the Golden Compass, despite the bad reviews and the fact that I thought the premise might not appeal to me, and it turned out badly. I can't recall disliking another movie that I have seen as much any time recently.

Let's see: what didn't I like about it? The premise, the plot (or lack thereof), the characters, the acting, the CGI, the battles, the pseudo-LOTR beginning, the pseudo-FOTR non-ending.

On the bright side, some of the scenery is beautiful. :)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Bought the DVD for my grandson and I to watch - he did not like it at all and it failed to sustain much interest for me either.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers