Shannara Movies on the way?

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Shannara Movies on the way?

Post by Alatar »

I'd be curious to see how this turns out. Good move on jumping straight to book two. The first book was such a blatant LotR ripoff its hard to imagine a movie not looking like a cheap knockoff also.
Warner Acquires Shannara Rights

Warner Brothers has acquired screen rights to The Shannara, the best-selling fantasy book series by Terry Brooks, Variety reported.

Brooks is the second-biggest-selling living fantasy book writer, after Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling.

Warner has franchise hopes for Brooks' 14-book series, which is set 1,000 years in the future in a world populated by elves, trolls, gnomes and dwarves in a post-apocalyptic Earth.

The Shannara family is a half-elf, half-man clan with magical abilities and warrior skills who must save the world. The Shannara has never been optioned for film treatment because the author has avoided it until now. Warner intends to develop The Elfstones of Shannara, the second book in the series, as the first film.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

How are they, overall? The complaints about the first one turned me off the series.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I read the first three or four about 20 years ago and I remember very little. They were enjoyable enough for a teenager (as I was at the time) but I'm not sure how they'd hold up to my more critical adult opinion!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Alatar wrote:I read the first three or four about 20 years ago and I remember very little. They were enjoyable enough for a teenager (as I was at the time) but I'm not sure how they'd hold up to my more critical adult opinion!
Ditto on all of that (except change 20 to 10).
The first one in the series is the most blatant Tolkien rip-off I can remember ever reading, though it was still fun enough.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I never made it past the 2nd book.
The pretense of the story was fine. You could go and get lost in a world like any good fantasy, but Brooks really had nothing new to say and his entire world was a blatant ripoff.