Movies on TV--wrong or merely pointless?

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Ah. So they weren't special. It annoyed me too, and this time it's justified. Ta, vision.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

As someone who has worn armor, and made it, I can say with some certainty that there are a variety of armors shown in the movie that simply. wouldn't. work. It's not that only orcs and goblins would wear them because they were too uncomfortable--it's that wearing them would eventually saw off one's arms, whether human or goblin.

But they LOOK cool. And thus I live with them.

Same for the charge down the slope: the movies weren't made for people who know all that much about horses.

It's like being a local when they film something on location, and then when you see the movie, complaining that you can't turn in the direction someone turns and end up where they end up.

But we digress. *ahem*

Marx Brothers movies--since you can fast-forward through the obligatory romantic musical numbers, much better on DVD. :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Oh, yes. The warbly romantic numbers, and also any time Chico sits down at a piano or Harpo gets his hands on a harp. Zap.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Chico at the Piano and Harpo on the Harp are parts I enjoy most in any Marx Bros movie...
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I love Harpo on the harp! :love:

The warbly romantic songs are MFFs (must fast-forward). Except for the operatic arias in "A Night at the Opera." :love:

I don't care how unbelievable the charge is, it always makes me feel ... incredible. :)

The movies I prefer to see on the large screen are those, like "Lawrence of Arabia" and LOTR, where the broad expanse of landscape matters. Or where suspension of belief is essential; that is so much easier in a darkened theater than gazing at a little screen, surrounded by the knick knacks of everyday life.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I should clarify: I agree that Harpo and Chico are much better than the warbly bits. However, Mr. Prim is a Marx Brothers fan, and since 1975 I have seen all of Harpo and Chico's musical numbers about three hundred and thirty-seven times each. This constitutes a sufficiency for any lifetime, so, zap. :D

After all, the mirror scene is waiting. :love:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

The begining of The Lion King is lost on TV. And Twister lost some of its impact. There was a movie I was watching the other day and was very disappointed in the TV loss. I think it had more to do with sound than TV size. But then again I only have a 42 inch TV.

Remember when the biggest TV was 21 inch?

And I agree on the horse riding issue. Well I have some other issues with the LoTRs movies, that make me go :scratch: Like Froda, Sam and Gollum being able to breath wilst surrounded by lava, the toxic gas would probably do them in, if not that the heat would sear their lungs. I know people complained about SW and Anakin, but at least Ani caught on fire and did have his lungs burned. Sam and Frodo didn't even get a blister.

I have come to realize if the movie is a big epic type movie I better see it in the theaters. If its a comedy or non-epic movie, it can wait to be rented.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

The warbly romantic songs are MFFs (must fast-forward)
You better not try and watch a mainstream Hindi movie then. ;)

Am like Padme - big movie = theatre, else I'll prefer to see it at home. I saw "300" in the theaters and after 1hr was looking at my watch. Its very difficult for me to sit in one place and see a movie unless until its riveting. Like LOTR.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Ca Minx

Post by Ca Minx »

You say Marx brothers (whom I like very much ) ~ I must say Charlie Chaplin (whom I adore). And the song he composed for Modern Times ~ Smile.

Ooops topic! I like the big screen better ~ the sound, the comfy chairs ... the nachos!

Hmmm, I never have seen Lawrence of Arabia.
I purrr, therefore I am ...