Rediscovering lost loves.

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Rediscovering lost loves.

Post by Alatar »

Just an idea for a thread. Have you ever left a particular artist or movie aside for a long time simply because you're busy with newer material and then for some reason you revisit the work and fall in love all over again?

I got tickets to The Police concert in October simply because I used to listen to tham a lot in my teens and I really wanted to see them live. However, for the last 20 years I'v hardly ever listened to the Police, except when they occasionally hit the radio. I listen to a lot of Sting, yes, but its very different music from a mature musician whose leanings are to Jazz-Rock fusion, as opposed to the Police's angry mix of punk and reggae.

God its fantastic. There's just so much great material packed into those 5 short albums. From the rawness of Outlandos D'amour and Regatta de Blanc, through the slightly more pop oriented Zenyata Mondatta, into the edgier Ghost in the Machine and finally the farewell album Synchronicity where we see the genesis of Sting as a solo tour de force.

So has anyone else rediscovered a lost love lately?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

Hall and Oates

I used to listen to them when I was a kid and even got the vinyl records to prove it at my parent's house. I really love their music back then but when they faded out for more than a decade I think I never really listened to their songs anymore. Then I heard this song "Do It For Love" on the radio, and the words really blew me away, since it was how felt about Princess but I never knew they were the singers of the song since I don't really listen to love songs unless Princess switches it to the easy listening radio stations at night. When the DJ said it was Hall and Oates, I say, that's why the song sounded familiar. So I bought tickets to their concert and fell in love with their music again eventhough it is more of the easy listening type instead of the ones I was used to back in the 80's, the CD is highly recommend.
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Lovely idea for a thread, Alatar. :)

Hmmh, I guess I could name the piano pieces I've started playing again after not having touched them in ten years or so. :D

And maybe opera - real, live performances, I mean. I'd not been for, oh, four years or so? I'd just lost the drive, somehow, even though I've always loved it.
Yesterday, I went for the second time within about a month, and found myself wondering why I'd not been for so long before. :love:

But now you've also made me want to listen to some old records/CDs again that I've neglected for years and years. :love:
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Sometimes there's risk involved in going back to an old love—you find that what enthralled you about it decades before has apparently evaporated, or that the reasons it spoke to you no longer apply. I think that's why there are some much-loved books I haven't revisited—I'd rather have the happy memories!

Of course, that's balanced out by the times you retry a book or film or music that went right over your head at 18 or 25 and discover, finally, what everyone was so excited about.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
BrianIsSmilingAtYou

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

I haven't heard a lot of Sting's latest stuff.

I did dig out some Police CD's that I hadn't listened to in a while, however, and they still stand up well.

Hopefully, I'll have more to say on this. I've been busy with getting Mom and Dad ready for the move, and many other things.

Good topic.

BrianIs :) AtYou

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I started re-reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. :love:
Why is the duck billed platypus?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I bought the Rolling Stones' classic album Exile on Main Street years ago (one of the very few classic rock albums I own, sadly). I had heard a lot about how acclaimed it was. I was surprised upon hearing to find it pretty bland. None of their big hits, little in the way of the catchy hooks and big crescendos from their Best Ofs. Bored, I mostly put it away and forgot about it.

In a recent urge to move outside my typically small realm of modern (ie. past 10-15 years) music, I decided to give it another shot. I've been hooked all week. It's got this restrained, dignified soulfulness that wasn't readily apparent at first but is there on closer inspection. It isn't quite like anything in my album collection and is quickly becoming a new love.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

tinwë

Post by tinwë »

The first album I ever bought, back when I was about eleven or twelve years old, was Elton John’s Greatest Hits. I was a huge fan of his for a few years, but by the time I got to junior high school he was considered seriously uncool, and although I still had his records I wouldn’t admit it to anybody. By the late seventies he had really become a caricature of himself, and I haven’t cared for anything he’s done in the last thirty years.

But ... something recently got me looking at those old records again and I was kind of surprised to find that a lot of his earlier stuff was really quite good. The songs on that first greatest hits album, songs like Daniel, Honky Cat and Border Song sound as good today as they did back then. And the albums those songs came off of have some fantastic stuff on them. Tiny Dancer and Levon from Madman Across The Water; Honky Cat, Rocket Man and Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters from Honky Chateau; Daniel and Crocodile Rock from Don’t Shoot Me, I’m Only The Piano Player. And then there were albums like Tumbleweed Connection that had no hit singles but are still great albums. There was a seriousness to this music, unlike most of the purely pop stuff from his later works. Much of it has an almost folkish, Americana feel to it, reflecting lyricist Bernie Taupin’s fascination with American folklore and culture. And the lyrics were often thoughtful (if sometimes incomprehensible) as opposed to the merely sentimental found in his later work.

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road wasn’t his last good record (Captain Fantastic has that honor, in my opinion) but it did mark a change towards the sort of over-the-top flamboyance that lead to his descent into schmaltzy cheesiness. It was still a great record though, and my personal favorite of his. Great fun, and lots of good memories too. I’m enjoying rediscovering these songs.
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

* goes to dig out my old Jefferson Airplane LP's.*
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

When the truth is found to be lies
and all the joys within you dies
don't you want somebody to love
don't you need somebody to love
wouldn't you love somebody to love
you better find somebody to love
:love:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

tinwë wrote:But ... something recently got me looking at those old records again and I was kind of surprised to find that a lot of his earlier stuff was really quite good.
Have you ever listened to 11/17/70? It was a live album recorded in some radio station in New York on that date. I saw Elton John first in 1971 and then again in 1975. Even though he was settling into that outrageous Liberace-like personna the second time around, he still put on an amazing performance. I'll always remember how the concert started, in total darkness, with Funeral for a Friend playing, hauntingly disembodied, from the stage.

Hmmmmmm.....long lost loves? Well, last night we listened to Pontiac by Lyle Lovett for the first time in ages and ages......enjoyed it so much, that when it was over, we immediately put on Road to Ensenada. I had forgotten the spell that Lovett's smooth, honeyed voice can weave. :love:

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Lost loves. I found Elgar again on saturday. I'd forgotten how ineffably sublime Elgar was. :love:
Why is the duck billed platypus?
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

Ath! I should have known you would understand! No, I have never heard that live album. There are a few others from the early years of his career I haven’t heard either, but I’d like to.

The radio station we listen to at work likes to play Lovett’s “That’s Right You’re Not From Texas” quite often. It comes across as something of a novelty but it sounds fun anyway. Maybe I should give him a closer listen (I actually have that album on my iPod, although I’m not sure how it got there. Must have been something I got from my brother. Hmm...)

I’ve been rediscovering The Waterboys recently as well. Of course, I rediscover The Waterboys about once or twice a week, so I guess that doesn’t really count, huh? Only this time I actually have something new to discover. The Waterboys (for those who don’t know) are a rock band fronted by Scottish musician Mike Scott. They are best known for their 1988 album Fisherman’s Blues which was a mixture of traditional Irish folk music and rock, and was, in my opinion, one of the greatest albums ever recorded.

Scott went Ireland in 1986 to visit his band mate Steve Wickham and ended up staying for nearly four years. After two years of recording he put out the Fisherman’s Blues album and two years later he released Room To Roam, another album of Celtic and Irish rock. These two albums contain thirty songs, but Scott has said that they recorded over 150 songs altogether during those sessions. In 2002 an additional album was release titled [/i]Too Close To Heaven[/I] (or Fisherman’s Blues Part II in the US) with 15 more songs from the period. Finally, in 2006, a remastered collectors edition of Fisherman’s Blues was released that contained a second disc of 14 songs bringing the total released to 59 songs. :)

The expanded version of the album was just recently released in the US and I finally got a copy of it. It’s great, and I highly recommend it to everyone.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Its Queen at the moment. I have to say they never really went away. They've always been there.

I went to the Queen and Paul Rodgers Tour last year and it sort of reignited the old flame. A brilliant gig in its own right, but certainly got me digging out the old Albums too. (Yeah, the Vinyl ones)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End