What makes a photograph a rip-off?

Discussion of fine arts and literature.

This photo is...

A rip-off the famous work by the famous Gursky
No votes
An original idea by this not yet famous photographer
100%
A rip-off a photograph you took once but never showed anyone except your mum.
No votes

Total votes: 4

truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Thanks Prim - I've had a look at google. Yes, I think many of the pictures couldn't be copied without a plagiarism suspicion because the lighting is so imaginative, and I think you're right that the "sharpness" is amazing.
There are some images where the lighting seems so unreal that it would count as invention.
Still, I don't think anyone taking a picture of a leafless oak that succeeded very well in showing the tree's shape and outline would be plagiarising Adams, because, again, the beauty of the motive will easily strike anyone who halfways has an eye for photography.
(In fact, I wouldn't hang the picture of this oak on my wall if it said "Ansel Adams" in fat latters underneath - because I still think the marvel is the oak, and not the photo, which is quite realistic and straightforward.)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I saw a gallery display of Ansel Adams photographs mingled with photos of his contemporaries, done in the same style. Even though they were similar, there was something very distinct about Adams's photographs. There is a triangular arrangement about the photos that does not draw the viewer down into the center, as most classic paintings do, but flings the viewer out into the sky and the wider world. It's what made the photos so exhilarating and compelling. Or am I the only one that sees them this way? :scratch:

Examples can be found here:
Tetons
Redwoods
Ferns
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

You may be onto something there, narya. What I find is that his compositions make me very aware that the world continues beyond the edges of the photo. It gives his images a presence and a size beyond the limits of the image itself. It's never "Here is a stand of trees" but "Here is one edge of a forest. . . ."
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

Post by Rodia »

Ansel Adams' photos never really had an impact on me. I don't really know why, they just seem very ordinary to me. Granted, I haven't seen all of them.