Trollope...

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Trollope...

Post by Impenitent »

Well, Vison, in consequence of my regard for your judgement, I picked up Barchester Towers and Fromley Parsonage at my local pre-loved book store (they were the only two Trollope titles in stock), read them during our camping holiday and enjoyed them immensely!

Oh, that Obadiah Slope! And Mrs Proudie the insufferable! There's the insipid Griselda Grantly, the weak-livered Mark Robarts, Eleanor Bold the maverick and the wonderful Signora...and the archdeacon himself is so deliciously pompous! And I actually liked Sowerby very much, albeit he is a scoundrel. Crawley was too much a caricature (as is his wife) but ... gosh, Trollope is very good. More wicked than Austen, for the wicked are much more truly wicked and he seems to relish their wickedness. And

Anyway...not really going to present reviews, for I didn't take notes and frankly I'm too lazy, but I will re-read them and I'm very anxious to get the four missing titles in the set as I need to know all about Harding's situation and the Greshams are hinted at being featured elsewhere in the Barchester volumes...Just really wanted to let you know that I've taken Trollope to my bosom. :D
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I'm so glad!!!!! :) You have entered a wonderful world and you may never want to leave. :love:

You will meet Sowerby again, in The Last Chronicles of Barset. And much, much more of Mr. Crawley. AND Mrs. Bishop Proudie. Oho, yes indeedy. But no more Mr. Slope, although a similar fellow turns up in Rachel Ray.

I long to know how you will like Lily Dale (The Small House at Allington) and John Eames. Two of the best people ever created by an author other than God. :D And Miss Dunstable, and Hopkins the Gardener. And dear, dear eponymous Dr. Thorne.

There is always a silly romance, like Lucy Robarts and Lord Lufton, and you always know how it will turn out, but that doesn't matter, they aren't really that interesting, anyway.

If you can get your hands on The American Senator or Orley Farm, you will find two more of Trollope's many, many masterpieces. Just to meet Arabella Trefoil (in the American Senator) and Mrs. Mason of Groby Park (in Orley Farm) will fill you with delight.

Then, of course, you can enter the world of the Pallisers.

Divine.
Dig deeper.