Art or Entertainment?

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Well, Lawrence said "Seven Pillars of Wisdom", so maybe that's a clue?

Wasn't it Ruskin . . . .why, yes it was.
Dig deeper.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I know a wonderful dirty story about Ruskin.

* exits without telling it *
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

*is disappointed to see Whistler hasn't tried to answer the question*

I know you must have something remarkably wise to say, Mr. Whistler, because you were part of the reason I created this thread. I mentioned once before that I saw a difference between art and entertainment and you agreed which made me think I must be onto something. Now the question is, what I am on.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

*Taunts Whistler in an infantile manner because he (bt) has at least tried to answer yov's question, though inadequately, like that matters.

Goes to bed
.*
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

bt--

I would push that particular frontier back a few decades, to Duchamp. Once you display the urinal, you've changed the rules.

I probably should add that even though I can describe the generally held differentiation between Art and entertainment, I don't necessarily agree with the differentiation, since it inevitably leads to a definition-by-negation I've heard too many times: "Art is something I can't do."

I think the artistic impulse is quintessentially human, but that it's generally squeezed out of us at a young age, by "setting the bar" higher than is attainable except through professional study. This turns the vast majority of us into consumers of art, not producers, which I find dubious from a cultural and ethical point of view. The main purpose for keeping the bar high is to keep art a money-making commodity for galleries, record companies, publishers, et al.

I don't think you have to be a master draughtsman, or a gifted author, or a graceful ballet dancer, to paint, write or dance. The products of the artistic process are equally valid no matter what the level of training or even talent. That doesn't mean they are going to end up on your wall or in your iPod or on your bookshelf...unless of course you made them yourself and like them.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Yov, it is my opinion that the difference between art and entertainment reveals itself in people's minds over time, with or without the artist's cooperation or intent.

For example, it is impossible to even discuss Victoriana without mentioning Dickens. His world is somehow more "real" than reality itself, and if we could walk the streets of London in Dickens' day without encountering Oliver Twist or Ebenezer Scrooge, we'd be deeply disappointed.

Dickens never intended this. He was just writing stories, making a living. Yet people have made an investment in his work for which it is impossible to account. He has struck a nerve that we didn't even know we had. It's an almost mystical thing.

His work became art because we made it art, in our own hearts and imaginations. His work became something we need, though we don't know why we need it. It rings in our minds so strongly that we can't place it in the same category as work that amuses us briefly and is then forgotten. We have to call it something else, so we call it art.

That's a grossly general and inadequate definition of the term, and it ought to be. Art is something that defies clear definition and categorization, and that's what makes it art. We don't know what it is, but we darn sure know it when we see it.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:bow:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Thank you very, very much for that full response, Whistler. I've read it a couple of times and want to digest it for a bit before I share my reaction.

And what V-man said.
-The Decemberists

baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

Whistler wrote:Yov, it is my opinion that the difference between art and entertainment reveals itself in people's minds over time, with or without the artist's cooperation or intent.
Yes, Whist, time and cultural context matter enormously. Many works judged "great" soon after creation have become quotidian in the years. Great work in an Eastern context fails to move Western sensibilities.

And you are right: the artist loses his/her parental authority upon completion. We in the lit biz have long recognized that the least reliable authority regarding a text is the author. They forget or deceive themselves or simply don't know, but they still comment.

And this is the heart of deconstructionism as a critical theory. Time and context move on. The artist/writer stays back. "Deconstruction" does not mean "close analysis for a hectoring purpose". It is often used so, wrongly. It means removing the work from its original time and culture. It is a method of analysis that simply seeks to ignore the original relationship between the artist and his work, for it matters not.

Art tends to survive a dislocation of time and culture. Entertainment tends not to.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

So we've mentioned "timelessness" (for the lack of a better word, perhaps) a couple times as being an indicator of art. Is that always the case, though? Great comedy keeps coming to mind. Me and some fellow 20-something friends were cracking up watching the original Abbot and Costello "Who's on first" routine. Thing's still funny generations later. Is it now Art?
-The Decemberists

Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Oh, I don't think I can make a call on Abbott and Costello. I'll have to think about that one.

But I'll make a call on another comedy team: the Marx Brothers. When Salvador Dali was busy making ART, these clowns were making silly ENTERTAINMENT for the masses. Yet Dali perceived (correctly, I think) that the Marxes were doing much the same thing he was doing: dismantling the world and freely re-assembling it. Dali called the Marxes great Surrealists and held them in the highest regard as artists. The Marxes never took themselves seriously, and would have lost their anarchic charm if they had. But a serious artist saw in their work the timeless qualities that made them something more than entertainers.

Innumerable critics since those days have said the same, and the Marxes' place in the pantheon of greatness is beyond question.

They'd have responded to such acclaim with a honking horn and a squirt from a seltzer bottle, the last to understand their own importance. But as bt observes, the artist loses parenthood of his work when he takes it to the masses. Then it takes a life of its own, living or dying as a separate entity that even its creator might not recognize.
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

Comedy suffers most greatly from the time and culture test.

Great though it may be, outside of the references a cle the work will be flat. An audience 100 years out won't "get it."

The exception would be if the comedy is adequately generic: social circumstance, personal relationship, family dynamic.

Shakespeare's comedy survives 400 years of distance because it addresses these. Abbott and Costello probably won't, for it relies on mere mysunderstanding, though so does much of Shakespeare.

So long as Angalysshe est esprocken . . . .

. . . we can have fun with the mochen.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Thinking about it--an entire layer of Shakespeare's comedy has been lost to us in cases like Twlefth Night and As You Like It. We have women pretending to be men...they had boys playing women pretending to be men. There are references in the text that make a lot more sense in that original context.
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

Whistler wrote:I know a wonderful dirty story about Ruskin.

* exits without telling it *
He would enjoy Brazil, or at least Brazilians.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Ah, you've heard it!

What a jerk.

Ruskin, I mean.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Gracious!

I already knew that story. I thought you had a new one.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Who needs a new one when you have that one?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It has stood the test of time, true.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Does that mean it's art? (Whatever "it" is? :? )
-The Decemberists

Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Oh, it is emphatically not art.

Darned entertaining, though. In a creepy sort of way.

As a marshal it is now my responsibility to point out that this board is not be used for exchanging cryptic messages, especially when they derail a good thread from its original purpose.

Even if they're really amusing cryptic messages.

Now! What was the subject, again?