Discussion of fine arts and literature.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Elengil's Tolkien Fanart

Post by elengil »

I did an art I want to share :D
Luthien before Morgoth Final.JPG
Luthien before Morgoth Final.JPG (694.8 KiB) Viewed 3324 times

Based on this passage: Then Beren and Lúthien ... came to the seat of Morgoth in his nethermost hall that was upheld by horror, lit by fire, and filled with weapons of death and torment. There Beren slunk in wolf's form beneath his throne; but Lúthien was stripped of her disguise by the will of Morgoth, and he bent his gaze upon her.

The text is translated into Ancient Egyptian by an amazing person I met, including the names using as close as possible to their meaning.

Read top to bottom, left to right:

first column: (Lúthien)| daughter of
second column: (Elu Thingol)|
third column: (Beren)| son of
fourth column: (Barahir)| Morgoth
fifth column: the wanker he stinks
sixth column: cuarthol (my 'signature')
seventh column: owly (the translator's 'signature')

Lúthien was translated as Daughter of Flowers
Elu Thingol was translated as Starman Moon-Cloak
Beren was translated as The Brave
Barahir was translated as Fiery Lord
Morgoth was translated as Black Enemy - no cartouche for Morgoth! >:(

:D
Last edited by elengil on Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: Lúthien Before Morgoth's Throne

Post by Jude »

Whoa. Seriously impressive.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Jude wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:12 pm Whoa. Seriously impressive.
:love: Thank you!
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That's supercool, elengil!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:20 am That's supercool, elengil!
:hug: Thank you!
was a 2020 planner.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Very cool but I question what Tolkien would make of this line :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
elengil

Post by elengil »

Alatar wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:43 am Very cool but I question what Tolkien would make of this line :)
He had a sense of humor, he'd probably agree :rofl:
was a 2020 planner.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

The wanker he stinks totally captures it!

Seriously though, it's a really impressive work!
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Impenitent wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:44 pm The wanker he stinks totally captures it!

Seriously though, it's a really impressive work!
:D The translator suggested that one because it was something she could translate! I loved it!
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'm glad I happened to go to the index looking for something otherwise I may have missed this (my tab usually opens to the notifications page). Nice job el!

I have an Egyptian stamp kit with characters where one can make their own cartouches. 'Fun with Hieroglyphs'. :D
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Ooh I had one of those stamp kits in high school! I :love:
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:47 pm Ooh I had one of those stamp kits in high school! I :love:
Was it this one?
Attachments
fw h.jpg
fw h.jpg (33.38 KiB) Viewed 3227 times
elengil

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:25 pm
elengil wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:47 pm Ooh I had one of those stamp kits in high school! I :love:
Was it this one?
:rotfl: That's the one!!!
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Can't go wrong with Metropolitan Museum of Art offerings. :D
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Wow, that is so impressive, Elengil!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil

Post by elengil »

Inanna wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:17 pm Wow, that is so impressive, Elengil!
:love: Thank you!
was a 2020 planner.

elengil

Re: Elengil's Tolkien Fanart

Post by elengil »

Rather than start a new thread I'll just add to this one:

Aztec inspired (Jaguar warrior) Beleg and (Dragonhelm) Túrin. Am currently waffling over whether I will paint this one or not.
BelegTurin3.png
BelegTurin3.png (673.76 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
was a 2020 planner.

Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

I really like both of these. Thanks for sharing them, elengil! :D
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Woah!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil

Post by elengil »

Eldy wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:25 pm I really like both of these. Thanks for sharing them, elengil! :D
Thank you! They were so fun to do!
Inanna wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:24 amWoah!
:D
was a 2020 planner.