It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 931 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:29 am 
Meanwhile...

Have you seen this series of captioned P&P gifs, detailing Darcy's struggles with anxiety? :D Dialog is canon, inner monologue is not. Warning for strong inner language.

Fitzwilliam Darcy's Inner Struggles

“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”

- Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:15 pm 

I've just watched 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' and thought it was quite funny, with many affectionate nods to the A&E production. The proposal scene did not disappoint. Anyone who's felt some frustration with these sisters might find it viscerally satisfying.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:55 pm 

I enjoy P&P&Z as well. The fight scenes were well done.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:01 pm 
Lali Beag Bídeach

I thought it was rather decent, too. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:10 pm 
Lán de Grás

Just curious: did any of you who don't normally like Austen check out The Lizzie Bennett Diaries that were linked to earlier? What did you think?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:10 am 

I watched the first half of the 2005 Pride and Prejudice film on TV last night. I appreciate what the film-makers were trying to achieve with an 'earthier' adaptation, but on the whole my reaction was the same as vison's and I was decidedly underwhelmed. It struck me as being humourless, more 'romantic' in the sense of the Brontes than the social satire of the book (someone on this thread, maybe Di, suggested that it came across as the Brontes' version of Pride and Prejudice, which I think is a fair comment). The leads were cast well, but I had no idea what was going on with Donald Sutherland's dark and brooding Mr Bennett (as fine an actor as he is), Wickham appeared as vapid rather than charming, and I found Mr Collins downright sinister.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:27 am 
Living in hope

I just received the "Keepsake Edition" Blu-Ray of the 1996 miniseries, which represents the fourth commercial version I've owned. Better resolution, different aspect ratio, and an hour of extra extras. I look forward to my next re-viewing, especially since the same son and DIL also gave me a snazzy new Blu-Ray player to play it on (the old one didn't work reliably).

Incidentally, my son mentioned that the disc cost him $4, so it's out there for easy purchase.

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:41 am 
of Vinyamar

Thoughts on Bride and Prejudice anyone? I have to say I loved it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:58 pm 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

That's the one in which the Indian actress is? Yes?

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude (as Merry)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:44 pm 
of Vinyamar

Yes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:01 pm 
Lali Beag Bídeach

I enjoyed it and have watched it a couple of times, actually. The whole Bollywood vibe is fun, imo.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:25 pm 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

I haven't seen it. That woman drives me up the wall.

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude (as Merry)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:42 pm 
Lali Beag Bídeach

I totally get that (not about her, specifically, but about certain actors/actresses).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:03 pm 
Meanwhile...

I don't remember much of it, but I think I enjoyed it.

“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:10 am 
Throw me a rope.

It was great fun and a very clever modern twist on the story, although there were some bits when the actors were so self-aware it annoyed me.

Posting on phone via Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:40 am 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

Impenitent wrote:
It was great fun and a very clever modern twist on the story, although there were some bits when the actors were so self-aware it annoyed me.

That sounds like Aishwarya Rai. :roll: Imp, didn't you see it just before I came to Melbourne? I remember M teasing me about Ms. Rai. ;)

I actually really liked the Keira Knightley version. I think I need to re-read the original P&P. With my new glasses on, so to speak.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:50 am 
Throw me a rope.

Inanna, you could be right! It was quite some time ago, though I didn't realise it was that long!

Posting on phone via Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:12 am 
Meanwhile...

This unfortunate WaPo headline is drawing fire from internet wits

Jane Austen was the master of the marriage plot. But she remained single

My favorites so far:

"You'd be surprised to hear how many mystery writers have never even committed *one* murder!"

"Was Mary Shelley actually a mad scientist who stitched dead people together to make tragic monsters??? We'll never know!"

"H.P. Lovecraft wrote about interdimentional beings of evil, yet ironically, he never became one of the Great Old Ones."

"Gabriel García Márquez was the master of magic realism and yet none of his sons were ever devoured by ants."

"Tolstoy wrote Anna Karenina. But he remained a man."

"JRR Tolkien never met a single Nazgûl."

"@MargaretAtwood writes about dystopian governments that damage the environment, oppress women and privilege the rich but she never lived during o—-oh wait. That one doesn’t work."

"Gene Roddenberry, by contrast, bested numerous lizard men in single combat."

Sometimes, I love Twitter.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:03 pm 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

Awesome. That article though is puke-worthy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:18 pm 
Living in hope

The link doesn’t work for me, on my phone anyway, but it sounds as if it’s not worth it anyway.

I think I always knew that about Gene Roddenberry, though.

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 931 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next