Pride and Prejudice: Adaptations of Austen

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
samaranth

Post by samaranth »

Count me in too please!

(as if I need an excuse to reread, but there you go...)

:)
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I've just recently re-read it, so, of course, I'm very ready to read it again. :D

With regard to scheduling:

Way back in the days I discovered A Tolkien Virgin, what I found most interesting is that the fellow reading it posted first and then others could respond to his post - insights, perceptions, questions - at whatever depth they wished. The beauty of this is that their was no context for the Virgin; he presented his perspective, chapter by chapter, just as it occurred, without feeling any pressure or expectation of any kind to express any particular sentiments, or to focus on one thing more than another. It was a blank slate for him.

That was wonderful for me as someone who knew and loved the story: to see this fresh perspective, to look through completely fresh eyes.

Perhaps, therefore, we could schedule a chapter by chapter reading, with Cerin and Alatar posting first before others provide comment? You (Alatar and Cerin) need not feel any pressure to summarise the chapter or any such thing - simply to share your impressions with us. The rounding out and commentary could come after, and we could look over preceding chapter and link things etc - but not touch on later chapters to avoid muddying the clear perspective of your new eyes!

But this is merely a suggestion. :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That sounds excellent to me, Imp. You've zeroed in on an aspect of Tolkien Virgin that made it very enjoyable.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I've lurked in Tolkien Virgin thread, and Impish is right, it was delightful to see the impressions of the newcomer. Especially when the first-time reader speculated about the future events, and even more so when they did that based on Da Movies.

When it comes to Austen, I'm a dilettante and I'm really looking forward to hearing from the pros.
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

That's an excellent suggestion, Impish. And it has the added benefit of making a reading schedule unnecessary. Cerin and Alatar can simply read at their own pace and post as they do it. The rest of us can follow their lead.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I ADORE that portrait of the pirate's daughter in your avatar! :love: What a talented girl is that Rodia!
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior

Post by SilverScribe »

Ethel wrote:That's an excellent suggestion, Impish. And it has the added benefit of making a reading schedule unnecessary. Cerin and Alatar can simply read at their own pace and post as they do it. The rest of us can follow their lead.
I have to agree . . . I didn't peek into Tolkien Virgin as often as I would have liked, but what I saw was delightful. A fresh set of impressions from the "Virgins" would be great . . .

I think the ensuing discussions will take on a completely different flavour than one that might occur between folks who know the book well.

:D
~.~
Actions speak louder than words, but on a messageboard, "you are what you type . . ."
~.~
Leoba

Post by Leoba »

What a lovely idea. :D I love living vicariously through someone else's first reading experience. :D

I re-read Pride and Prejudice only a few months ago but, given the speed with which I've chomped through the stash of novels on the bedside cabinet, I daresay there's time and capacity to re-read it again. Do count me in!
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

Well, it looks like we have a consensus around letting the "Austen virgins" lead the discussion. That is, if the "Austen virgins" in question agree. I think it could work quite well for you to simply read and post as the spirit moves you. If you would prefer more structure - some sort of reading schedule - please say so. Something like 50 pages a week usually lets one read at a natural pace but still allows plenty of time for discussion. But that will vary from individual to individual.

So unless we hear otherwise, shall we say that we'll wait for Cerin and/or Alatar to make the first post? I can then update the thread title to reflect the parts of the book under discussion.

Looking forward to it.

Impenitent wrote: I ADORE that portrait of the pirate's daughter in your avatar! :love: What a talented girl is that Rodia!
Indeed, she is a hobbit of many talents. I love this picture too. :) Thanks again, Ro!
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Please count me in as well! :D
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

That sounds good to me, so I guess it would be up to Alatar and myself to indicate what pace we would like, so that no one gets left behind.

I've not done this before, so I'm not sure what sort of pace is practical. Alatar, do you have any ideas on that?
Sister Magpie

Post by Sister Magpie »

I've been re-reading JA recently myself--a chapter a night. I did Emma, and now I'm in the second part of P&P, so I'd love to read along.

-m
"Brooding over quirks of mad Creation,
And puppets' dreams."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'm not sure really Cerin, but I can commit to reading a chapter at a sitting if that sounds right? We each read the first chapter, then discuss with the group, then set a time by which we should attempt to read the next chapter.

Actually, I have just checked and there are 61 chapters which would make this approach less than ideal. Say we read 5 chapters at a time? That would have us reading the book in 12 sittings. An online version is available here for those interested:

http://www.online-literature.com/austen/prideprejudice/
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

Twelve "sittings" - one or two a week depending on RL and so forth - seems just about right, Alatar.

Here's another etext of P&P: http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/pridprej.html

Not that it's a particularly pleasant way to read (imo) - and surely P&P is one of the most easily available novels in English - but it can be nice to have etext to browse when you're looking for a quote or need to check a detail.

This one has a fair amount of hypertext cross-referencing.
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

Thanks to Alatar's online P&P I am saved!

I had a copy somewhere. At least I thought I did.
Apparently not. So until I make it to the bookstore (which I am trying very hard not to do because I can never, ever, walk out with just one single book!) :help: I can read along with everyone.

I can't say that I remember much though. It must be over 35 years since I last attempted Austen.

When do we begin?

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

I would like to toss my hat in this arena. I have read Austen's Emma, and S&S, but I have never read P&P...should be fun.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Great! :) We're getting quite a crowd. All that focused Austen energy ought to improve deportment worldwide.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, I have read the first four chapters and decided to give a quick account now. I started to read the fifth, but it feels like a new section while the preceding four were very much linked. I may be wrong in this, but it felt like a natural section to deal with as a whole.

I admit I am very surprised at the writing style. I expected something like George Elliot in style but it's more like Wilde's "Importance of Being Earnest". I did not expect the amount of conversation. The first two chapters contain practically no descriptive narrative aside from what is gleaned from the conversations. The first real section of descriptive narrative is in the third chapter. In the fourth we begin with yet another conversation followed by a "wrap up" of sorts.

Of course, the scene is well set as far as character is concerned, but as a novice I have no idea of the Bennets social status. Obviously they have sufficient status as to be within Bingleys sphere, but not wealthy enough to be financially independant without marriage. There is no description of their house, clothing or even their general appearance. As such I have almost indiscriminately attached faces to names that may well prove to be completely wrong for their character. Through some perverse trick of the mind I am seeing Keira Knightly as Lizzie, but Colin Firth as Darcy. I have not yet seen the new movie, but I'm aware that Keira is playing the part and that Firth played Darcy in the BBC version so I suppose thats a simple enough reason. I see Mr Bennet as a Jim Broadbent style character, with an easy humour and the ability to keep it in a houseful of women :). Bingley I imagine as a thoroughly likeable but empty headed chap in the vein of a Hugh Grant or Hugh Laurie. The other sisters have so far made no impression except for the eldest who I see as a sort of trophy blonde. Mrs Bennet I could imagine as a Judi Dench.

What is obvious almost immediately is Austens ability to write sardonic wit very well. I find myself very much identifying with Mr. Bennet and smiling along with his teasing and deliberate obtuseness. It's hard to imagine how or why he ended up married to an apparently social climbing harridan like his wife, although there is a sense of genuine affection there. I wonder a little at the first line. "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife." I'm not sure if this is meant to be ambiguous or if that's merely a modern reading. I mean by this that it could mean he needs a wife, that he wants a wife or simply that he does not have a wife. Is this a clever play on words or simply a result of less precise modern language? I have no idea. I like the idea that it's intended to be ambiguous. That any man who does not have a wife, must therefore want and need one. If so, it's very clever and plants the notion firmly in our minds.

I found the Ball a little staged. It seems like were are being manipulated to like Bingely and dislike Darcy without being allowed to make up our own minds. I would have preffered this to be a little more ambiguous. Of course, it may simply be that this model has been copied so often that it now appears unoriginal, but I found myself thinking of Renee Zellweger and Colin Firth's first meeting in Bridget Jones Diary. However, it's more than made up for by Lizzie's shrewd assesment of the entire setup in chapter four.

One point. This may have been mentioned, but without going back to read, I have no idea where Lizzie fits in the family from a marriagable point of view. My impression is that she is not the youngest, possibly the third or fourth child?

I'm sure all will be made clear as I progress.

Alatar
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Ack.

Me fingers is itchy. ;)
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Mine, too.

Thank you, Alatar! Very interesting.