Eragon & Eldest. Book and Movie Discussion (Minor Spoil

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Eragon & Eldest. Book and Movie Discussion (Minor Spoil

Post by Alatar »

I've just started reading Eragon, by Christopher Paolini, mainly because the movie is due out soon and I prefer to read the book first.

Initial impressions:
In some ways it feels a bit like a "Mary Sue" fanfic, because the author was about the same age as the protaganist (15) when he started writing, although of course its set in his own world, not another Authors. That said, his world so far has been very familiar. A sort of generic "Fantasyland" with Elves, Dwarves and Humans. The Urgals are essentially Orcs (or Trollocs) and the Shades are essentially Nazgûl or Skullbearers. Still, imitation is the best form of flattery, so they say.

Niggles:
despite trying to write in a high fantasy style, some sections betray his youth/origins. In one section he says something like:

"He went back up the path a ways"

Now, this just screamed at me for some reason. It dropped me right out of the story. Is this something that a copy editor should have tried to fix? Prim?

Another scene talked about Eragon and his Uncle working the farm and mentioned rutabagas. Again, this stopped me cold. I just don't expect to find Rutabagas in a Fantasy setting. But that may be my own prejudices.

More later. Feel free to jump in, but no spoilers please. I've just read the section with Brom's tale about how the King kicked someone in the nuts. No. Really.
Last edited by Alatar on Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

"A ways" should so clearly have been fixed that I would guess they wanted it to stay for some reason. Maybe they wanted to deliberately puncture any "high fantasy" tone? Nuts and rutabagas would also support that idea. :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well actually he said a kick "in the fork of his legs". But its still a kick in the nuts as far as I'm concerned.
TIGG
ta'veren'

Post by TIGG »

:rofl:

I must say I never noticed either of those things.

I hauled 'Eldest' all around Europe last September as some light reading when stuck in airports.

I want the 3rd in the series to come out... now now now.
da TIGG is back and bouncin'
Face Book ID Kathy Roper ( New Zealand)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:D

Neither did I, but then I usually notice this stuff in the 2nd/3rd readings. And Eragorn & Eldest didn't come to that level with me. A large part of it does seem simply "picked" from Tolkien, and you will feel this more and more, as the story progresses, IMHO.

Still, as I told someone - there are no more Tolkien's left for me, will have to make do with other copies.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, I've read a bit more, and I have to say I'm enjoying it so far. Still a few wierd anachronisms though.

I'll give an example of the prose that seems uneven to me. Obviously this hasn't bothered others, so maybe this is a personal (or even generational) thing.
“I know, but the people here refuse to consider moving. This is their home—as well as mine, though I have only been here a couple years—and they place its worth above their own lives.” Trevor looked at him seriously. “We have repulsed individual Urgals, and that has given the townspeople a confidence far beyond their abilities. I fear that we will all wake up one morning with our throats slashed.”
Trevor nodded. “When you enter Dras-Leona, would you do us this favor? Alert the Empire to our plight and that of the other towns. If word of this hasn’t reached the king by now, it’s cause for worry. And if it has, but he has chosen to do nothing, that too is cause for worry.”
The style just seems inconsistent to me. To use words like "plight" and "repulsed" then followit with an obvious Americanism like "a couple years" jars badly for me.

I understand that languages change over time, but surely the correct usage here should have been "a couple of years"?
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I just finished this book about a month or so ago. I rather enjoyed it actually, and it's been a while since I have found a fantasy book that I liked. Yes, most of it is just a rip-off of Tolkien, but at least it was a decent rip-off, imo. I'll put it this way: I'm planning on reading the next books.

I think I just really like Saphira. She makes the book, imo. :)

I do agree, Alatar, that there are some phrases that take you out of the story, so to speak. Perhaps they were deliberate for some reason??

Overall, though, this was a pretty decent book. :)

Lali
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Ok, I finished both Eragon and Eldest. Enjoyable, and enough twists and turns to keep me interested. There's certainly some of visons "purple prose" in there, but not so much that its annoying. I have, however, found an explanation for some of the strange anachronisms that I mentioned before.

Christopher Paolini started writing Eragon when he was 15 and once it was complete he rewrote it before showing to anyone. Then, his parents decided to attempt to self publish it. As a result, it was copyedited by his mother. The book was published by the family and promoted by Christopher through a statewide signing campaign in Libraries and schools. At some stage it came to the notice of an editor at Random house, who offered to buy not only Eragon, but the entire Trilogy. This explains a lot really. Eragon was already published before it recieved professional attention, after which it would have been difficult to alter it dramatically.

It does give me a healthy respect for the Paolini family, who were (apparently) within a couple of months of losing their house if Eragon had not started to turn a profit. They started with signings at book stores, with Christopher dressed in pseudo medieval garb to attract attention, then moved on to schools and libraries. Sounds pretty gruelling to be honest, but it seems to have paid off for them now.

The film, though. Thats another issue. I picked up a book in Atlanta airport entitled "Mythic Vision: The Making of Eragon" where I found out most of the aforementioned history. Anyone who has seen the trailers will be, like me, wondering where all this stuff came from that wasn't in the books. We're not talking "ring on a plinth" or "Boromir holds the Ring" here. We're talking the equivalent of scenes between Sauron and the Witchking. Perhaps they felt that LotR's keeping the main villain offscreen didn't work, or maybe its due to the fact that they got John Malkovich for Galbotorix and they want to give him screentime. Either way, it looks like a major departure. Also, SPOILER: Saphira doesn't breathe fire until the very last scene in the book, whereas here she's seen to be breathing fire before the battle.

Then there's the issue of sets. I'll try to find a few quotes from the "Making Of... " book.

"In a major departure from the city as presented in the novel, the production design saw Daret as a chance to create something totally different from the other locations - a city on a lake built on stilts"

""The big set" as Kroeger called it, was the stronghold of the Varden, a spectacular setting inside a hollow volcano called Farthen Dur, which included Tronjheim, the city of the Dwarves. Tronjheim would not be replicated as Paolini described it in the book. Instead it would be presented as the ruins of a once-glorious "white marble city""

Costumes:

"Barrett would recall with a chuckle that the work that had originally been planned for a couple of weeks on a few scenes and principle characters ended up lasting five months. "I had to redesign what had gone before. I had to take the flavor away and make like ten versions of that flavor and put it back in the world. It became in a way a very practical process. Actors I had never met would arrive at nine o'clock at night and were supposed to be working at six in the morning. So, overnight, I had to design something, make it and have a few options ready. I had to do my best as quickly as possible, with whoever was coming up a couple scenes ahead"

Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence I must say.

Regarding the screenplay:

"...the relationship between Eragona and Saphira, which flowered and unfolded across the length of the book had to be condensed for the film. in the book, a host of new characters and situations are introduced when Eragon and Saphira arrive at the Varden stronghold at Farthen Dur, while in the movie theVarden refuge comes at the top of the third and last act, too late to expect audiences to accept too many new characters. Thus events in the movie accelerate after Eragon arrives at Farthen Dur, with a battle between the rebels and Galbatorix's invading forces coming sooner than in the book. Some of the characters Eragon encounters later in his journey in the book made it into the movie, including the young swordsman Murtagh and Ajihad, a Varden General. But other characters, notable the Dwarf Orik, didn't make the cut."

Note, there's no mention of the time spent on added scenes that weren't in the book...

I don't think this will be a movie for purists. What remains to be seen is if it ends up being good in its own right or a disaster on the scale of the Earthsea tv miniseries.

Trailers here:
http://www.eragonmovie.com/
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

This international trailer looks much more hopeful:

http://www.shurtugal.com/content/mandm/ ... ler_hi.php
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I've picked up Eragon in bookstores a few times, but never gotten past the stilted opening. Eventually some kid of mine will bring it home, and I'll read the whole thing. :)

Judging from the boy's haircut and the girl's dress, I'm guessing "Earthsea" quality on the film. Too bad! <removes grumbly self from thread>
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

The official site has a lot of music, which is, I assume, from Patrick Doyle's score.

ttbk
Glowah, eee chop glowah.
Ya glowah pee chu nee foom
Ah toot dee awe goon daa.

Glory, we found glory.
The power showed us the light,
And now we all live free.

Celebrate the light; (Freedom!)
Celebrate the might; (Power!)
Celebrate the fight; (Glory!)
Celebrate the love.
Andri

Post by Andri »

I just finished Eragon last week. I had a very nasty cold and had to stay in bed. Eragon provided the ideal company - nothing too demanding with an easy storyline set in a fantasy world that was not very complex. (I am now reading a Robin Hobb book and the differenc and contrast between her world and the world of Eragon is stricking).

I still haven't read Eldest - I'm saving it for a future attack of flu. :P

It's a shame the film will not depict Tronjheim as it was described in the book because I really liked the image. I was curious how they would do that but they chose the easy way out. I think that the Tronjheim presented in the book is more impressive than a city in ruins.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I've read both, and I will pick up the Third. I think it's because of the Dragons. I really love Dragons...

I had no idea that they were planning to make it into a movie, though... it sounds a bit awful, but since I am not a BIG fan of the book, I guess I'll enjoy the movie.

Interesting point, I bought the proper copy of the first book, a horrid cheap pirated one of the second (left both behind in India), and am planning to use the library for the third. :P
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

Patrick Doyle's score album is currently streaming on AOL:

http://music.aol.com/album/eragon/943772

(I haven't had a chance to listen yet)

ttbk
Glowah, eee chop glowah.
Ya glowah pee chu nee foom
Ah toot dee awe goon daa.

Glory, we found glory.
The power showed us the light,
And now we all live free.

Celebrate the light; (Freedom!)
Celebrate the might; (Power!)
Celebrate the fight; (Glory!)
Celebrate the love.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Here's the thing for me: I think the kernel of the story is good in despite of the writing. It is so obviously written by someone very young and yet...he's managed to come up with a good plot and some very believable characters on the whole.

Eldest is better in terms of depth of understanding, though the writing is till very youthful.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Ok, so I saw Eragon. All I can say is that Tolkien purists should be out kissing PJ's feet.

Its as bad as, or worse than, the SciFi channels Earthsea miniseries. Contrary to most, I feel that Ed Speeler did an admirable job as Eragon, while John Malkovich has finally eclipsed Jeremy Irons D&D role as worst villain ever. He must be so embarassed. All of his scenes could have been filmed in an afternoon, and probably were. Still, he really didn't have much to work with. His opening line was "I suffer without my stone, do NOT prolong my suffering..." which was delivered in an American accent. Please, people. For once and for all realise that America is a NEW country. American accents do not work in Fantasy movies. Never have, never will.

As for the screenplay? The story was butchered, the characters were butchered, even the sets were butchered. I wonder why they bothered paying Paolini any rights at all to be honest, cause that wasn't his book on screen.

I really have no particular attachment to the Eragon books, but they deserved better than this. Hell, anything deserves better than this.

Its currently at 13% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, which is a little generous to be honest.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Wow. Glad I avoided it. :P
Glawariel

Post by Glawariel »

I saw the movie couple of weeks ago and actually really enjoyed it. While I agree with your feelings about John Malkovich I liked Jeremy Irons as Brom. I think he plays these mentor roles really nicely. And I, too, was fine with Ed Speeler's Eragon. While it wasn't the highest quality film I had ever seen I left the theater having had a good time.

However, I just finished reading the book (which I was encouraged to read by my nephew who read the book before he saw the film), which I thoroughly enjoyed as well. Moreso towards the middle and end than in the beginning. I'm still in the middle of Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series so I was struck by the contrast in writing when I first started Eragon almost to the point of not wanting to continue (I've come to realize that Martin's writing truly is exceptional). And right now I'm wondering what book the filmmakers were basing their movie on when they called it Eragon because it most certainly was not this one. I understand that necessary changes need to be made when books are adapted to film and I've made my peace with, and even appreciate, the changes in LotR. But many more things deviated from the book than were kept consistent. I question many of the choices they made in how to portray the story in a film-friendly way. Yes, it had to be condensed and streamlined but I mean, come on! You just have to ask what were they thinking?

All that said, I still think that is was an enjoyable film but I'm glad that I read it after I saw it.

Now on to Eldest...
Home is behind, the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow til the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight
Mist and shadow, cloud and shade
All shall fade, all shall fade
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Daughter saw it with friends.

Came home indignant (she's such a purist. :D )

She disapproved of the rearrangement of the plot but even more particularly felt that the characters had not been done justice.

She gave me a list. :D

I think I'll skip it.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:D

I can so imagine S ranting about it. :)

I am such a purist, that even though I did not really love the book, I shall still avoid the movie.