What makes a successful adaptation?

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

Just wanted to mention... it's not exactly what I'd call an adaptation, but for my money the best film version of "Emma" is "Clueless." I went to see it way back when without knowing its inspiration, and there was a point at which I nearly shouted, "This is Emma!" I have seen both the Gwynneth Paltrow and the Kate Beckinsale films, and each of them have moments. I think "Clueless" captures the essence better than either.

Still, it's not accurate to call it an adaptation. More of an "inspired by".

Yet. When Elton starts putting the moves on Cher... it's totally Emma.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

I love Clueless!!!! :D:D:D:D

Alicia Silverstone's finest hour. And a very funny, witty, charming screenplay. :)

The Gwyneth Paltrow Emma offers a far too chocolate-box pretty vision of England. Paltrow's Emma is very entertaining but even more of a cow than Emma is in the book. It's fun to watch, and anyway I would watch anything with Jeremy Northam in it, rrrrrooowwww. He makes a luvverly Mr. Knightley, despite his age being all wrong (Knightley is supposed to be twice Emma's age. He's my favourite Austen hero, btw. Totally rocks my world. He is to Jane Austen what Faramir is to Middle-earth. Swooooon. Ahem. I'm getting carried away here. :D)

The Austen film adaptation I prefer is Ang Lee's lovely Sense and Sensibility ... although Hugh Grant's Edward frankly makes me want to machine-gun him. What does Elinor see in him???? The man is a prat. Pratt by name, prat by nature. :D

I like the 1994 film version of Little Women. :) Very good casting - I really like Susan Sarandon as Marmee, Claire Danes is perfectly cast as Beth, and yep, Winona Ryder makes a pretty good Jo. I like the way the film so perfectly captures the right mood and tone of the times. I'd say it was pretty faithful to the original ... although I haven't read 'Little Women' since I was a child, it's the sort of story that stays with you. :)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal