Books similar to The Lord of the Rings

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

The only book that I have ever read that gave me anything approaching the same feeling as The Lord of the Rings is Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, even though it is a completely different type of book
Yup! It was the originality of vision and the inner coherence that did it for me.

I get the feel of Middle Earth from reading Norse sagas. Many are fine psychological studies too.
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

Wow thanks for all the help! I'm going to start off by reading The Song of Ice and Fire Series. :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

See you in three years! :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

:x :rage: man am I angry. After reading the first book of A song of Fire and Ice I find out that someone has reserved the second and third book till July! I won't even be here then! I'm therefore left no choice but to but the books! Aw well.