Terry Goodkind - Phantom (and related philosophical matters)

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Terry Goodkind - Phantom (and related philosophical matters)

Post by nerdanel »

Anyone still reading the Sword of Truth series? I just remembered that a new book was due out this summer, checked the official site, and realized that Phantom (Book 10) in SoT is out as of July 18th. (Jeez, where have I been this past week? :roll:) I'm not sure whether anyone else will be interested in discussing it, but I'll probably have some thoughts when I'm done. (headed to Borders to buy, then the park to read, right now :D)

I bought and read Chainfire (Book 9) the day it came out in Jan '05 but I haven't looked at SoT since then, so I've probably forgotten all the important details. Still, assuming that Goodkind leaves off the preaching about objectivism/Ayn Rand that he started in Faith of the Fallen (6), it should be a pretty fun read.

If people aren't interested in discussing SoT specifically, an related discussion topic:

To what extent is it appropriate for a fiction author to advance an ideology, whether secular or religious? Do you ever enjoy such novels? Does your enjoyment vary based on whether you agree with the ideology in question? Has a work of fiction ever swayed your ideological views? Strengthened them?
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: Terry Goodkind - Phantom (and related philosophical matt

Post by yovargas »

nerdanel wrote:Anyone still reading the Sword of Truth series?
Nope. I gave up at book 5, iirc. Was absolutely loving book 4 (porb my fav non-Tolkien fantasy) until I realized he was gonna drag this on foreeeeeever. If the story ever officially ends, I might try again.

If people aren't interested in discussing SoT specifically, an related discussion topic:

To what extent is it appropriate for a fiction author to advance an ideology, whether secular or religious? Do you ever enjoy such novels? Does your enjoyment vary based on whether you agree with the ideology in question? Has a work of fiction ever swayed your ideological views? Strengthened them?
Well, years ago, upon readin Rand's Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, I became an intense, nearly-religious follower of her ideals (I also read her non-fiction work). I eventually got over most of her ideas though her influence is still felt. I think that Fountainhead is a good novel despite the philosophy but Atlas should be avoided at all cost if you're not interest in learning her philosophical views. If you are, the format is effective.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

yov,

You do realize he's about to end the series? The Chainfire trilogy is going to bring it to a close. Phantom is book 2 of the trilogy, so there is only one more to go. Since it doesn't sound like anyone else is reading, I'll interject a generic spoiler - Goodkind is exploring the ramifications of tampering with people's memory surrounding a single, previously well-known fact, which he terms a Chainfire event because of the staggering consequences of said tampering, particularly in a magical world. I think it's a fascinating concept and I'm interested to see what he does with it.

So Temple of the Winds was your favorite? I really enjoyed Stone of Truth and Blood of the Fold (love Berdine and Raina!)

If you are comfortable with objectivism, you will appreciate Faith of the Fallen, which is IMO brilliant; it integrates the philosophy with a compelling, almost exhilarating story. One of my least favorite things about Goodkind is his (IMO) excessive descriptions of the violence of war, and in particular, sexual violence. I tend to finish each book of his feeling a tad depressed, although definitely entertained. But FotF manages to leave the reader feeling uplifted and profoundly moved.

In FotF, however, Goodkind comes down vehemently against faith in favor of reason, and suggests that the two concepts are diametrically opposed. Although I disagree mildly with his view, I do not find it offensive. However, a lot of others understandably would. I would caution anyone who believes strongly in the goodness of faith unsupported by rational thought, against reading the Sword of Truth series, as I imagine that they would take repeated offense to Goodkind's philosophical ideas.

Actually, though...I recall hal saying on TORC that he was reading SoT. I wonder if he still is, and if so whether Goodkind's philosophy has troubled him.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

So now that the series is over, any commentary on it as a whole? As I said, I loved 1-4 but was really disappointed by 5 (in part because I felt like #4 had a great opportunity for a badass ending). I always kept it in mind though just in case the series managed to get back to the awesomeness of its 1st volumes.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists