Who do you think will die in the last Harry Potter book?

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Not a note. some other sort of thingumajig. I was thinking along the lines of a pensieve.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

This is a Prim request, not a Marshal request at all, but—I assume we're all agreed that when the book comes out, spoilers should go into a separate, labeled spoiler thread, right? It's probably going to be several days after it comes out before I get my hands on it, and I really would like to read it unspoiled! And I'm sure I'm not the only person here who won't be able to start the book at midnight.

I would be so grateful if people would be extra careful about this.

I posted this in the other HP thread, too.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
TheWagner

Post by TheWagner »

Primula Baggins wrote:Well, here's my theory, Eru. Seven long books is a big arc of story, and all through that I'm sure Rowling has been having ideas occur to her that weren't part of the original plan.
We can see that in the books themselves. For example, in Stone, Hagrid says that he's going to return the flying bike to Sirius: but in Prisoner, Sirius told Hagrid to keep it! Rowling also has stated that originally she had Voldemort go after the Potters because they had the Philosopher's Stone: obviously, that got changed.

That being said, I doubt that there are big changes from Rowling's original idea. There still is only one protagonist and one antagonist, and the story centers around Harry's choices.
Primula Baggins wrote:As for the movie, I'll bet anything they would really rather have had it come out last Christmas, if they could. Box office nuts point out that the movie's going to take a huge hit on its third weekend, when most big movies are still making a lot of money, because so many people will be home reading.
All the book readers have seen the movie already! As of this weekend, it has sold 21 million tickets in North America. It will be a long while before there are 22 million people in North America who read the books. (Even by the time it sells 22 million copies, given the high rate at which books are not finished, there still will probably be fewer than 22 million readers!)

Although this is slightly off topic, the movie will plummet next weekend (it's second, not its 3rd) because that is how sequels work: the people who liked the prior movies rush out to see it (pushing their ticket sales forward) and the people who did not like it do not see it at all (removing their ticket sales). Because people who see the movie early are more apt to like the movie in the first place, the latter removes later ticket sales.

So, Order probably has sold nearly half of its tickets already. Yes, 7-8 million people will be reading it next weekend: but they already will have seen the movie by and large. The 5-6 million people who see the film next weekend will be people who would have seen it on the 2nd weekend any way, and who will not be rushing to read the books.

(Indeed, I wonder if it might not get a small spike in repeat viewers on Friday night, as the hardcore fans kill time by seeing the movie!)
Tyrhael wrote:A note? I hardly think that'll convince Harry. Maybe Aberforth will give Harry some of Albus' memories in the Pensieve that exonerate Snape?
Dumbldore knew that Draco was after him, and he also knew that Snape had made an Unbreakable Vow to help Draco. So, Dumbledore must have known that he probably would be dead soon, and that Snape would be culpable.
Tyrhael wrote:But no, we have to have Harry forgive/understand Snape
I agree: this will be a key moment that might very well be very important when Harry faces Voldemort in the end.
Shown the gun? Then shoot it! But remember that one shot has many effects.....
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I've decided.

Neville will die.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Snape is so dead.

:bawling:

HE. IS. SO. DEAD.

Harry had better realise how darn cool Snape is before the end.

Ya hear me, JRK? :rage:

:D

But, actually, even worse than Snape dying would be HARRY dying.

All bets are off until Saturday!
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal