Have you read...can you recommend...

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: Have you read...can you recommend...

Post by Jude »

I'm making my way through The Iliad. I have to say, I'm finding most of it rather dull. It seems at least 90% of it is graphic descriptions of what happens on the battlefield: who kills who, who injures who, technical descriptions of the injuries and how they were inflicted. I can imagine that for a people brought up on tales of military prowess, this sort of thing might keep them on the edge of their seat, but it's not doing much for me.

I'm putting it aside temporarily for a break to read some other stuff. If anyone's read it and enjoyed it, I'd be interested in any advice on how to approach it...
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Do you all know Brandon Sanderson? I saw him mentioned in the same sentence as Pratchett and Gaiman, but neither his name nor any of his books ring a bell. Usually, I am at least aware of who is whom*.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Nope, his name is unfamiliar to me.

Typed on a tiny phone keyboard on Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Never heard of him, either! Same breath as Pratchett & Gaiman? Was it “Sanderson will never be as good as Pratchett or Gaiman...”; * it’s still the same breath.

(* Douglas Adams’ reference)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Inanna wrote:Never heard of him, either! Same breath as Pratchett & Gaiman? Was it “Sanderson will never be as good as Pratchett or Gaiman...”; * it’s still the same breath.

(* Douglas Adams’ reference)
:rofl:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

He is, apparently, the writer who was hired to complete Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, which is not necessarily something that everyone would consider a recommendation.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

V, is there a "not" missing in that sentence?

Inanna, the context was, "every time I ask for recommendations in fantasy, people jump in with Pratchett, Gaiman, and Sanderson." And to me, one of those things is not like the others.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

No.

(Not anymore)

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Verrry sneaky, V, verrry sneaky.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

This is a great sentence:

“At the beginning of time the Sun was a swaggering oaf.” - NK Jemisin.

(She really is a great writer. Of course, Prim was never wrong about writers.)
elengil

Post by elengil »

Yeah, I got her 5th Season book that I've just started. (Thick book!!) Enjoying it so far but it's definitely heavier stuff, and still world building just yet. It's a fascinating world, but a lot to introduce the reader to.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

The Broken Earth trilogy, right? I finished the series last month. It’s AMAZING.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I reserved it from my library when it was first mentioned. The book has finally come in this week, so I'll start it over the weekend.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Excellent. I look forward to chatting about it with y'all.
Prim really liked Jemisin, and for very good reasons. Her writing is gripping.
eborr

Post by eborr »

Jude
regarding the Iliad - whose translation did you read, they are of variable quality, I would recommend Lattimores, and if you can get them have some of Malcolm Wilcock's commentaries to hand.
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Brandon Sanderson is a decent author in his own right which is why he was asked to complete Wheel of Time. I wouldn’t put him with Pratchett and Gaiman though. Neither in style nor substance.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

But sometimes you have to settle. So, is he worth an attempt, Al? Did you like his books, at least?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I only read the first few Mistborn novels. I enjoyed them at the time but I don’t remember much about them which maybe tells it’s own story!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Inanna wrote:But sometimes you have to settle. So, is he worth an attempt, Al? Did you like his books, at least?
Why settle when you can reread Pratchett?

elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:
Inanna wrote:But sometimes you have to settle. So, is he worth an attempt, Al? Did you like his books, at least?
Why settle when you can reread Pratchett?
Yes but if you never tried any new authors, you'd have never found Pratchett to begin with, no? We all eventually have to read something new otherwise our experiences just stagnate.
was a 2020 planner.