Harry Potter (No book 7 spoilers, please)

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

TheWagner I was not planning to embarress myself with a name but I found this one irresistable: HP and locket of RAB???
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Harry Potter and the Final Windfall.

:llama:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:rofl:
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
TheWagner

Post by TheWagner »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:Harry Potter and the Final Windfall.
heheh, outstanding! That is up there with "Harry Potter and the Death of All Trees" (proposed by someone after the large size of the fifth book).
Shown the gun? Then shoot it! But remember that one shot has many effects.....
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

TheWagner wrote:That is up there with "Harry Potter and the Death of All Trees"
Very vice I love it!!!
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Harry Potter and the Horcrux of Doom

(I was going to write "Ring of Doom", but thought that might be a liiiittle too obvious ;))

Let's see, titles thus far:
  • Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
    Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince
Hmmm, I'll vote for "Harry Potter and the (noun) of (proper noun)"

Any patterns?

I agree that Dumbledore did know about the Unbreakable Vow. He did not seem surprised when Harry told him about overhearing Snape, which suggested that Snape and Dumbledore had already discussed it. But he told Draco that it wasn't real. Which means....he was either rather dense, or he was lying to Draco. He made a point of declaring his absolute faith in Snape to Draco before Snape arrived on the scene. My guess is that that was planned and deliberate...so it is meant to get back to LV.

Snape's life as a spy just got rather tricky....
TheWagner

Post by TheWagner »

MithLuin wrote:et's see, titles thus far:
  • Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
    Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince
Any patterns?
With one exception, the title of each book has been completely unguessable given the prior books. Azkaban had been mentioned as a prison, so that title was remotely guessable.

So, our best bet is that the title will revolve around something we've never seen before.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Harry Potter and the Petulant Possum
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
TheWagner

Post by TheWagner »

For those that have not read it, JKR's publisher is expecting a 2007 release for VII. JKR herself stated earlier this year that she was on the same pace as she was for HBP at that time two years prior.

So, we probably have another 14 months of speculating, and then a lifetime of "why the BLEEP did JKR do X, Y and not Z?!?!?!?"[/url]
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Thanks, TheWagner!

This would be a summer release like the other ones, then? Makes sense. Kids have all day to read.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
TheWagner

Post by TheWagner »

Primula Baggins wrote:Thanks, TheWagner!

This would be a summer release like the other ones, then? Makes sense. Kids have all day to read.
The publisher gave no word on the dates: 31 December 2007 would make her just as correct as any other date!

JKR's comments implied a summer release, assuming that she keeps to her schedule and does not encounter writers block or something. She told Robbie Coltrane in an odd "two celebritie's interview each other" thing that she's nearly decided on the title for VII. If I recall, we got that in late autumn 2004 for HBP, but we had it for well over a year for OotP, so that does not mean too much.

Of course, the OotP movie is mid-July. The book won't be that weekend, or the weekend after. However, any other weekend seems like fair game.
eborr

Post by eborr »

TheWagner wrote:
JKR's comments implied a summer release, assuming that she keeps to her schedule and does not encounter writers block or something. She told Robbie Coltrane in an odd "two celebritie's interview each other" thing that she's nearly decided on the title for VII. If I recall, we got that in late autumn 2004 for HBP, but we had it for well over a year for OotP, so that does not mean too much.

I have it on good authority that the part of the title she has decided on is

"Harry Potter and"
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

WampusCat wrote:Harry Potter and the Petulant Possum
Perfect!
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Harry Potter and his Death and Funeral?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Mith, sorry not to have been back before now! :oops:
I was thrilled to see you change the title to "no book 7 spoilers", and thought that as soon as I'd have time to catch up reading I'd get back into the discussion.
But now that I've read the last two pages, it seems that speculation about book7 is all that interests people. In a way, I understand that - if I think about HP, I almost always just wonder what will become of Snape and whether Rowling really can resolve the whole thing in one more book.
So, I think it's not possible to avoid spoilers, and much easier if I just stay out of the thread. :)

So, we'll have to wait till next year? Darn. :(

My own theory is that book 7 will actually be the start of a new series: Harry has announced he'll not be back to school, so book 7 will start Harry's life outside school, and will mean no end of further books to provide income for Rowlings. A new book for each year of Harry's life, which can go on at least as long as the author's own. Seems logical, as it's hard to imagine the whole remaining problem can be solved in one book, and as it would be the best business decision anyway. ;)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

truehobbit wrote: My own theory is that book 7 will actually be the start of a new series: Harry has announced he'll not be back to school, so book 7 will start Harry's life outside school, and will mean no end of further books to provide income for Rowlings. A new book for each year of Harry's life, which can go on at least as long as the author's own. Seems logical, as it's hard to imagine the whole remaining problem can be solved in one book, and as it would be the best business decision anyway.
Seems like a good idea to me.:) But somehow I recall hearing somewhere that book 7 would be the last book with Harry as the main character...
TheWagner

Post by TheWagner »

truehobbit wrote:My own theory is that book 7 will actually be the start of a new series: Harry has announced he'll not be back to school, so book 7 will start Harry's life outside school, and will mean no end of further books to provide income for Rowlings. A new book for each year of Harry's life, which can go on at least as long as the author's own. Seems logical, as it's hard to imagine the whole remaining problem can be solved in one book, and as it would be the best business decision anyway.
To follow up on superwizard, JKR has said that this will be it for Harry Potter: 7 books and out.

As for a year being a long wait, JKR spoiled people with a book per year early. Two years is not that long of a wait. Also, once it is done, then it will be over!

I posted this elsewhere, but I finally have an answer that I like to the question: "what is the story of Philosopher's/Sorceror's Stone?" My wife provided it: the choice of desires.
superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

TheWagner wrote:I posted this elsewhere, but I finally have an answer that I like to the question: "what is the story of Philosopher's/Sorceror's Stone?" My wife provided it: the choice of desires.
Very nice TheWagner, I like that answer very much :)
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

You could look at it this way: what does the Mirror of Erised tell us about someone? What they most want.... What does Voldemort most want? To be powerful and immortal (or something along those lines). What does Harry most want? A family (to love and be loved). [What do Ron and Dumbledore most want? It goes on...]

In a way, it is an appropiate subject for the first book. She is introducing us to her characters and her world. We are still getting a feel for who they are. By learning what they want, we understand the actions they take in an attempt to get it. Draco bullies his dad into buying broomsticks to get him onto the Quidditch team. Hermione is obsessed with learning about the wizarding world and magic so that she can fit in, 'earn' her place (since she is a Muggleborn, and therefore an outsider). Ron wants to outshine his brothers, which will lead to conflict with his very famous best friend. Etc.

Then in book 3, we get Dementors and Boggarts, which tell us what people fear. The mirror of the Mirror, if you will ;).

Dementors and Pensieves give us memories - the past, and how it impacts the present.

From all of this, we learn the consequences of the desires and choices from earlier on. Hermione is terrified of academic failure, because she ties her self-worth (or place in the wizarding world) to it....she is "the cleverest witch of her age," or nothing. And yet, she is also most sensitive to the plight of the House Elves (even if not so wise about figuring out what to do about it!) Harry works hard to protect people he loves, even keeping information from them if he thinks that is best. He does not fear his own death - he fears reliving his parents' death.

I think these devices are important, because they reveal something about the characters. She won't tell us Snape's Boggart (nor will she tell us his Patronus), because she thinks it gives something away. I agree...though I think it's just were-Lupin.

This does leave a question, though - what did Dumbledore really want in life? The socks thing might speak of creature comforts, or of being valued by friends (someone like Molly Weasley gives you warm socks as a gift)...but I honestly think he was making light of it when he told Harry that. Surely, he has a deeper desire in life. By now, we understand that he is a proponent of love...and that he cares deeply about Hogwarts students, and treating everyone well - respecting mermaids, and earning the respect of centaurs, even.

But what is his deepest (well, truest) desire?

Pssst, The Wagner - your wife is both wise and clever :)
MithLuin
Fëanoriondil

Post by MithLuin »

Playing in fanart again today....

And found this series of t-shirts for Harry Potter characters...HILARIOUS - Enjoy!

Dumbledore: Young at Heart

The Trio
Harry
Ron and Hermione, bickering as always

Neville, who didn't really fit any category, poor guy

The Weasleys
Mr. and Mrs. Weasley
Bill
Fleur...well, soon to be, anyway
Charlie
Percy
Fred and George
Ginny

Hogwarts Profs
Slughorn
Trewlaney
Sirius and Remus
Lockhart and take 2

And if you thought *they* looked funny in t-shirts....

Death Eaters
Lucius Malfoy
Draco
Snape
Young Snape, in contrast to Harry ;)
...and last but most certainly not least.... Lord Voldemort!

Enjoy :D
Last edited by MithLuin on Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.