Gormenghast

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Gormenghast

Post by Alatar »

I know this book has as nearly many fans as Tolkien so I'm curious to know what people think of it. I was introduced to it by the excellent BBC Miniseries with Jonathan Rhys Meyer and a cast of Britains finest, and I enjoyed it thoroughly in all its wierdness.

As a result I picked up a single volume "Gormenghast Trilogy" and to my shame, I abandoned it halfway through the second volume. I find myself thinking about it again recently, after spotting a BBC Radio adaptation starring Sting as Steerpike, and I intend to listen to the Radio play, follow up with the DVD and then attempt another reading.

Any advice? Suggestions? Fans? Haters?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I saw the miniseries, too, but I've never picked up the book. Too many people I know have found themselves unable to get into it or through it. And my stack of books yet to be read is three feet high and climbing.

I also know people who love the books. But not nearly as many as love Tolkien's.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

This is my favourite Trilogy in the whole world ever...

I've only read it once, but I think I need to psyche myself up before I can even pick it up.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

You must be the one I'm thinking of, Crucifer. :D

What makes it your favorite?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

And did you enjoy the BBC adaptations? Radio and TV?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I've not yet read it, but have flirted with a curiosity to do so. I saw snippets of that BBC series perhaps 10 years ago and that was the first time I heard of it. I've hung back from picking up the book because the BBC series struck me at the time as being very dark.

I don't object to 'very dark' on principle, but for the last few years I've grappled with my very own 'dark' and I think I'll need to have a good dose of joy and resilience syrup before I can take on any more.

I'm still very curious to do so, though.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I love these books, but they're perhaps a bit in the category of "things one reads/sees once but is oddly reluctant to read/see again."

I think they're brilliant, dark & Gothic, Dickens plus Joan Aiken plus -- but now I'm crediting a Descendant for the work of the Ancestor -- China Miéville.

(Has anyone here read China Miéville? Perdido Street Station and The Scar are just brilliant beyond compare, I think.)

It is good sometimes to read things written by the Slightly Unhinged. Counteracts the glossy formulae to which we've all become numb.
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

I enjoyed the first two: they're very atmospheric and come to a conclusion: IIRC the BBC series covers those two. I started the third but never finished it.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

I have read two and a fraction books of it, too :D. I struggled to get started but after 100 or so pages, I found it readable ( always meant to read it again ) but I found the last volume was so awful that I just gave up after a bit, and never felt like going back - knowing that awful third volume was lurking there.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Teremia, I've been halfway through Perdido Street Station for a few years now ;) It's wonderfully written and evocative, but grim—and I've been off grim in recent years. But I still have it and consider it well worth finishing, as soon as my skin is a bit thicker.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Peake uses about 7 million words where he could use one.
I speak like he writes.
I love the world he created, the unending, pointless ceremonies that no one actually knows the real reason for.
I could go on for several days about what I love in this book.
While I was reading it, I chose one word that I read each day, and used it in conversation liberally...

In fact, the only problem was that I couldn't sleep at night while I was reading it, because I was kept awake by the richness and quality of the imagery.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
scirocco

Re:

Post by scirocco »

Teremia wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:15 am I love these books, but they're perhaps a bit in the category of "things one reads/sees once but is oddly reluctant to read/see again."

It is good sometimes to read things written by the Slightly Unhinged. Counteracts the glossy formulae to which we've all become numb.
Quite agree. I read them all many years ago before the BBC series came out (which I haven't watched yet), and have re-read a couple of times, but I'm not super-keen to do so again.

I believe that Peake did suffer from dementia and you can't help wondering if that affected what he wrote. Gormenghast has that slightly dream-like, tipping into nightmare, quality that surely must have reflected his mental state.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Re:

Post by narya »

Crucifer wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:18 am Peake uses about 7 million words where he could use one.
I speak like he writes.
I love the world he created, the unending, pointless ceremonies that no one actually knows the real reason for.
I could go on for several days about what I love in this book.
While I was reading it, I chose one word that I read each day, and used it in conversation liberally...

In fact, the only problem was that I couldn't sleep at night while I was reading it, because I was kept awake by the richness and quality of the imagery.
Sounds like my kind of book! I added the audio books to my wish list though it is increasingly improbably that I will get to all the books already on it.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus