Amelia Peabody

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Amelia Peabody

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

It feels good, doesn't it?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Grrrrrrrrr. :x
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Eeeek

---------------
Sent with elvish telepathic powers with a dashed line above to make Jude happy.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Good Gad!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Who ARE all you people, and what are we doing in this hand basket?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Has anyone read her books written under the "Barbara Michaels" name? What's different about them?
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

Isn't that Peters' real name? I didn't know any others were published under that name.

I loved this series, but I'm an Egyptology freak.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Her real name was Barbara Mertz. She published under the names of Elizabeth Peters and Barbara Michaels.
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

That's it. But I didn't know she did any Amelia Peabody stories that weren't under Elizabeth Peters. I would love to read them.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I don't think they're Amelia Peabody stories - I imagine they're totally different than the ones she wrote under the "Elizabeth Peters" name.

But I don't know anything about them. I don't even know if they're mysteries. That's why I'm hoping someone on this board has read one or more of them...
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I'd they're available on Kindle, download a sample and evaluate whether you want to buy the book.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I'll definitely check them out, once I've made my way through the Jacqueline Kirby and Vicky Smith books.

I was just wondering what was different about them so that she chose to use a different pseudonym.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I have a vague idea that they are maybe supernatural romance type? Maybe horror? Although maybe I keep thinking that because of the vampire book by Barbara Hambley, who is a different writer but also very good, and I recommend both Those Who Hunt the Night and the Benjamin January series quite highly.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Just got book 1 and 2 in the georgetown series from eNYPL, will let you know how they are. :D

Thanks for this tip. I really like her books. Man, she was prolific.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Amelia Peabody

Post by Inanna »

Just finished book 1 & 2 in the Georgetown series. They are really murder mysteries, the 1 has a paranormal bent, but even then it's really figuring out who did what to whom. And 2 is a mystery with no paranormal stuff in it. They are a series in which the main characters actually change from 1 to 2, but with a continuous timeline. They are about as romantic as the Amelia Peabody series were - it's there, in relationships & backgrounds....

ETA: I enjoyed them. Page turners. :)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

So, I think I have read almost all of the books in Barbara Michaels series by now. They are " Modern Gothic" novels. And I learnt this through one of the books in which the protagonist is an Asst Prof in Goth writing by Women (something like that). So, now I know a lot about vintage, and goth and vintage fabrics and auctions.... :D Her books are an education (And in another book in this series, the protagonist is a woman who knows a lot about a lot of stuff, all through fiction books ;)).

ETA: they are as much "romance" as the Amelia Peabody series was.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Inanna wrote:ETA: they are as much "romance" as the Amelia Peabody series was.
Which sounds just about perfect to me. Amelia Peabody is about as much romance as my books are. Enough to get accused of it at times, but not enough to wreck the story (I think).
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

I am currently reading or rereading the entire series (in English). It's a pleasure.
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I think I like the Jacqueline Kirby books even more than the Amelia Peabody series. There are only four of them, but I like the dry humour and the absurdity of the situations she sometimes finds herself in, like the madcap characters that surrounded her in that conference for authors of romance novels.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That one is hilarious. :D