Chocolate War

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Chocolate War

Post by Frelga »

My son was told to read Chocolate War in his class, and before I raised the issue with his teachers, I wanted to ask if this book was well known or distinguished in any way that would justify its assignment to middle schoolers.

It's not a bad book for adults, although it's awfully depressing, but I can't think of a less appropriate book for preteens.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

It's a YA classic, but I would hesitate before assigning it to many preteens, if only because of the harshness of the tone, plot and characters.

Still, I can think of waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more inappropriate books for them.

I'd peg it as okay for 14, personally.

Edited to fix page-stretching "way" - VtF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

But definitely no younger than that, and even that is pushing it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Really, a classic?

I'd peg it no earlier than high school. Certainly not preteens who are already anxious about the train of puberty coming down the tunnel at them.

I can think of books that are more violent or more sexually explicit but I really can't think of any book that would be more devastating at that age. It allows not a ray of hope or redemption for any of its characters, and the message it sends is that resistance is futile.

It's well written and all, and I'm not knocking the book itself, but the only useful lesson it teaches that I can see is that masturbation is normal.

P.S.: Ax, your waaaay stretches the page. Could you please make it shorter? Thanks!
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

From Wikipedia;
Because of the novel's language, the concept of a high school's secret society using intimidation to enforce the cultural norms of the school, and the protagonist's sexual ponderings, it has been the frequent target of censors and appears at number three on the American Library Association's list of the "Top 100 Banned/Challenged Books in 2000-2009."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I read hundreds of "age inappropriate" books as a very young kid, from about 8 years onward. I don't know that they ever hurt me.

But it's not my decision.
Dig deeper.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

So did I, vison. And in retrospect, some of them really did not do me any good.

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I actually kind of wanted my waa**aay to stretch the page, because there really are about 300,000 less appropriate books, including 99% of all romances ever written.

My takeaway from the book is that there are bastards in the world, and sometimes they are in charge, and sometimes they win. Which is all unfortunate but true. You might as well take all the great tragedies off the shelves if you want to shelter kids from that lesson.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I haven't read it, so I can't comment on this book in particular. I would echo Frelga's sentiment, though.
And in retrospect, some of them really did not do me any good.
And I might add that some of them did hurt me.

Perhaps his teacher would allow him to read an alternative book?