Frazetta LOTR Images and Fantasy art beyond Tolkien

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Fantasy art beyond Tolkien

Post by Primula Baggins »

This discussion was moved from the thread "Frank Frazetta Lord of the Rings Images" in the Shibboleth forum, because the topic had moved on from Tolkien illustrations.

Frazetta does garden-gnome hobbits, too, with feet bigger than their heads.

But nobody beats him for Barsoom. This is probably the iconic image:

A less static one:

I am not an artist, but I like these. They have color and energy and are faithful to the dear, pulpy spirit of the text. And he does pretty bodies so very well. The women are babes, of course, but muscular babes who know how to fight (just as they are in the books).
Last edited by Primula Baggins on Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Muscular, and yet well-padded. :D A fine combination if you ask me.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes, though my favorite Barsoomian heroine is Tavia the slave girl, who passes as a boy for a good part of her book . . . dressed like that. Granted, the noble narrator-hero is a bit thick, but still, she could not have been "well-padded."
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Well, it is fantasy AND fiction. :D
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Those remind very very much of Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell's work. I used to adore Vallejo's style, and through him discovered his wife's work. I love his use of almost photorealistic images in fantasy. I wonder if Frazetta was much of an influence on them.

Here's a famous piece called "The Vampire's Kiss"

Gallery is here
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Primula Baggins wrote:
Makes you wonder what she's holding on to.
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:rofl:

Awww, nowwwww. . . . .

They did get married later, if that helps.

Alatar, that is a creepy painting. I would have to say either there's some influence, or what they've been asked to paint (on a book cover, say) is so similar that their work can't help but be similar as well.

I've seen his work elsewhere, of course. I did look at part of the gallery as well. Some of it looked a little too sweet for me, but then a lot of it must be book covers.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Maybe my eye is just drawn to the edgier stuff, but I've never really noticed to much sweetness in Vallejo's work.

Here's another favourite.

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I was looking at some mermaidish stuff that definitely looked sweet, but perhaps they were covers for light fantasies.

That image is not sweet at all, of course. I have to admit that despite the "fantasy" element of the tattoo coming to life, I don't care for it much. It doesn't seem like a story I would enjoy reading.

And, er, he's too muscly, too.

It's rather odd, because I do read edgy science fiction—but I don't care for edgy fantasy. :P Tolkien's perfect; Burroughs is a fun escape.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

The discussion of Frazetta's non-Tolkien art and of other fantasy artists has been moved here. (link to come)
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

There's a Frazetta painting known as "Deathdealer", a black figure on horseback with red glowing eyes, that always makes me think of Tolkien's black riders.

Of course he did a lot of Conan the Barbarian, like this "The Snow Giants", as well as Tarzan.

The Frazetta that most captured my fancy was "Escape from Venus" which pictured a woman with a dagger standing in a swampy pool in the foreground and a ravenous tiger in the background. The colors, particularly the blue, are fantastic! (The poster was much more captivating than this small image.)

Here's a link to FrankFrazetta.com. If you're near East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania you can visit the Frank Frazetta Museum. :D