But Mr. Darcy, shouldn't we be taking precautions?

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

This article in the Guardian made me laugh!

It even mention The Hobbit:
And not just through that genre – much more damaging, concerned parents might think, is the complete disregard for reproductive health awareness in literature for younger readers. Perhaps we can forgive this carelessness in a story such as The Hobbit, though its publication coincided with a good deal of unsafe sex; or The Secret Garden, despite the charged relationship between Mary and Dickon.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Also featuring this penetrating observation in the comments:
I'd also like to point out that Hannah Montana has little educational to say about the Higgs Bosun, and as for Glee, I have learned almost nothing from it on Japanese fish farming of the 17th century. Really, this NOW stuff was just the tip of the iceberg - Media & Entertainment are going to the dogs.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:rofl:
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Higgs Bosun? :scratch: Sounds like a bit player in H.M.S. Pinafore, if you ask me.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King