The Kindle Books and Resources List

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

This book was great. Reminded me of vison.

Invisible (Ivy Malone Mystery Series #1)
http://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Ivy-Mal ... 14&sr=1-46
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Einstein's Refrigerator: And Other Stories from the Flip Side of History is currently available free on Amazon.

I have not yet read it (only glanced at the first chapter), but as these free offers don't last long, I thought I'd tell you about it immediately rather than wait until after I'd read the book, by which time the offer may have expired.

According to the blurb:

[Author] Steve Silverman was looking for a way to add some spice to his high school lectures when he realized that weird and bizarre true-life stories would capture his students’ attention. In fact, they worked so well that the science teacher then began posting his discoveries to his own web site, which he dubbed Useless Information. Well-researched and clearly sourced, Silverman’s unusual tidbits have gained a wide following.
In Einstein’s Refridgerator, Silverman collects more than 30 of the most fascinating stories he has gathered – tales of forgotten genius, great blunders, and incredible feats of survival, as well as answers to puzzling questions. Einstein’s Refridgerator is a remarkable book with spellbinding stories. Whatever happened to the refrigerator Einstein helped invent? While it never became a commercial success, its underlying concepts became the basis for cooling nuclear breeder reactors.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001S2QNZ0/?tag=afbm-20
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

* grabs *

Thank you, Impish!

I have not discovered any amazing deals, but I did find a lot of old favorites among the free classics. My latest was The White Company by Arthur Conan Doyle. Like Walter Scott, only without all the verbiage.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Some more free stuff which may interest halofirians:

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&node=15 ... ag=afbm-20

(Phew! that is one very long string!)

Above is a link for Vooks on Amazon - all of them are non-fiction, and range across subject areas as diverse as macroeconomics and intellectual property law to the history of the Renaissance. Vooks are thus described on Pixel of Ink:

There are currently 56 FREE Kindle Books available from Vook.
A vook is an innovation in reading that blends a well-written book, high-quality video and the power of the Internet into a single, complete story. You can read your book, watch videos that enhance the story and connect with authors and your friends through social media all on one screen, without switching between platforms.
Some of the books in this collection have material that will only be available on an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch, but it appears as though many of these are just fine for the Kindle.
Be sure to grab these today if you can – there is no way to know how long this offer will be valid.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Now available free from Amazon, THE ROMANCE OF TRISTAN AND ISEULT
Vincent Nicolosi (Author, Editor), Joseph Bedier (Author), Hilaire Belloc (Translator)

It is complete, with Gaston Paris' original Preface, Joseph Bedier's milestone essay on French elements of the story, Vincent Nicolosi's luminous introductory notes on Celtic aspects of the legend of Tristan and Iseult, and many words omitted from previous English versions have been restored.

http://www.amazon.com/ROMANCE-TRISTAN-I ... gital-text
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Free on Amazon

How Can I Talk If My Lips Don't Move? by Tito Rajarshi Mukhopadhyay
Mukhopadhyay was diagnosed in early childhood with severe or low functioning non-verbal autism. He communicates primarily through writing and has learned to develop his reading, writing, and thinking abilities.

From Publishers Weekly
In short chapters, some including evocative prose poems, Mukhopadhyay introduces the reader to his daily inner life. Sometimes his thoughts are compulsive—he misses an entire film while mentally drawing diagonals across every one of the design squares on the cinema's ceiling—and sometimes fragmented, as when looking at a bucket: I might easily get distracted by its redness, since it would remind me of how my hands bled when I had fallen from a swing, how I was so absorbed in that red that I had forgotten about my pain, and how that red resembled a hibiscus.... Mukhopadhyay reflects on autism without romanticizing it. Occasionally, his writing is somewhat sketchy, but for the most part this is an eye-opening book on a serious disorder.

Amazon is also offering a number of classics for free (Little Women, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Treasure Island, Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, etc )

I particularly recommend Uncle Tom's Cabin, if you have not read it, though I suspect most Americans have read it during their school years (probably one the curriculum). If you have not, however, I urge you to read one of the earliest and most powerful fictional works on slavery in America.

BTW...are these recommendations helpful or irritating? I receive emails from Pixel of Ink daily and sometimes become so excited by the offerings I can't help sharing them, but I'm not so arrogant as to continue with them if others find them presumptuous. :)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Helpful, Impish, without a doubt. :hug:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Absolutely helpful, Impy. You give information I might not dig out and make the puzzling suddenly interesting.

I've never read Uncle Tom's Cabin. Having a Kindle (if and when*) might make that easy.

*I was definitely getting one, but our dishwasher died. Six hundred bucks, poof. :x
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I got Kindle. Now the door of my dishwasher is broken. Coincidence?

I read Uncle Tom's Cabin in Russian. It's a powerful story, although I understand the translator left out a lot of religious text.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Impish, thank you *SO* much. I missed the Einstein one (been so busy with parents), but got some of the others.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Anthony Trollope!

All of his books (including his autobiography) are available here:

http://freekindlebooks.org/Trollope/trollope.html

ETA: Prim, if you download the "kindle for Mac" software, you can then download kindle books to your Mac while they are free, and subsequently transfer them to your kindle when you buy it. As long as the two (Mac and Kindle) are registered to the same Amazon account, you can swap files between them.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Amazon just launched a limited time offer sale, calle The Big Deal, a special sale on more than 900 Kindle Books – all less than $3.99.

A mixed bag by the looks of it - I haven't gone through them but I'm assuming someone may find something of interest.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/? ... 1000705681
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Impy, I've been doing that since I first decided I was going to get a Kindle, and I've got a pretty decent selection of the free and ultra-cheap stuff, including some books I loved as a child that aren't easily available any more. I just like the idea of traveling with a big load of books.

I've heard you can move PDFs onto them, and I have a PDF of Habitable Planets for Man (an out-of-print classic for worldbuilders that's now being given away), but I haven't figured out how to get the file into my Kindle library. Need to look into that.

Now off to cull your link for nuggets. Will post what I find!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell for $2.99. . . .
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I wonder whether the ebook format would be an advantage or disadvantage for a book that has so many long, detailed footnotes. Not having a Kindle or similar devise, it is hard for me to say, but I would think it would be a positive, because it should be easy to go back and forth between the main text and the footnotes. No?

(On the other hand, I think that the format would be very difficult for a book like mine, with the many detailed tables.)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Thanks Prim! I bought it.

And also found The Grand Sophy - one of my favourite Georgette Heyer's - is also $2.99.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I bought both. I haven't read The Grand Sophy, and I'm heading for the beach in August. And I have to read Jonathan Strange.

I may be buying a Kindle after all; I've had a work-related surprise today, actually a pleasant one, that means I'll be earning more than I expected over the next six weeks or so (though also of course working more). It will cover a dishwasher and a Kindle several times over.

Voronwë, I also wonder how well your book would work in that format. The Kindle books I've bought have all been literature (of course with the exception of my own books :P ) and rather rudimentarily formatted.

Although if it were searchable, that might be a wonderful extra tool.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Wait, wait, wait! Your books are available in eformat? :shock: Where? I've looked on Amazon and came up empty.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Ditto.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

They were. I think the rights have reverted to me now that the physical book is officially out of print. Which means nobody's using them now. I could try to sell them again, or I could put the books up for sale myself at a low price, most of which I get.

I need to talk to my agent, but I really think I need to have something new to talk to him about first.