Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Another freebie:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M8SEE0/?tag=afbm-20

Escape from Mount Moriah by Jack Engelhard

Straight from the Amazon blurb:
The adventures of 'Tom Sawyer' with an ironic, Yiddish twist."

WINNER -- 2001 MPA -- "Excellence In Independent Publishing" Award

The adventurous, humorous, sometimes wonderfully strange exploits of a youth during his family's adjustment to a new world, these compelling boyhood memories are of an almost Tom Sawyer character, albeit with ironic Yiddish twists.

Fleeing from the Nazi invasion of France, the Engelhards, a proud and wealthy family, are forced to adjust to life as common refugees in Canada.

Highlighted by a youth's adventures as his eyes open up to his new world, the eighteen compelling short stories combine both the urgency of the family's circumstances with the ironic side of trying to fit into a new culture.

With themes of humiliation, intimidation, and alienation, this powerful book illustrates how the Holocaust did not end in 1945, but continued to reverberate through successive decades, even until the present day.
I seem to be recommending a lot of Jewish-themed books, but it's coincidental, I assure you.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Bummer. It's not free for the Nook. :(
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I'm sorry. :(
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Just let me know if it's very good. I'd consider buying it then.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Huh. Not free for me.
Kindle Purchase Price: $0.99
Prime Members: $0.00 (borrow for free from your Kindle) Prime Eligible
Since I schmooze off my cousin's prime, I don;t get these "extras".
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

My latest $0.99 purchase:

The Cthulhu Mythos Megapack: 40 Modern and Classic Lovecraftian Stories

I already have The Complete Works of Lovecraft, for the same price.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

*clickety click click* and done. :)

Mahima, I got it for free. Must have been a 24-hour deal. Sorry :(
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Impenitent wrote:*clickety click click* and done. :)

Mahima, I got it for free. Must have been a 24-hour deal. Sorry :(
Yes, how bad of you to miss a deal for me. The one who never posts any such deals or whatever. :nono:

:kiss:
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I hesitated to link to this, as it seems to deal with the ugliness of war in Afghanistan and all that implies.

However, the writer is Afghani, and apparently writes directly from his experience - and he is has been an advisor to western governments on the war in Afghanistan so he comes with credentials. The reviews are positive and moving. So...here's the link:

The Interpreter, by Shah Wali Fazli, currently free for Kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Interpreter-e ... roduct_top
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I'm having a bit of a slow start to Cotillion. I hope it picks up soon.

For one thing, some of the turns of phrase are so hard to wade through. (What exactly does "dicked in the nob" mean? :shock: I mean, I think it means something like touched in the head, but still. How am I supposed to read that without giggling?) And I'm constantly jarred by the use of "ain't" by people who are supposed to be high society. Is this true to life?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Lalaith wrote: For one thing, some of the turns of phrase are so hard to wade through. (What exactly does "dicked in the nob" mean? :shock:
:er:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Lalaith wrote:I'm having a bit of a slow start to Cotillion. I hope it picks up soon.

For one thing, some of the turns of phrase are so hard to wade through. (What exactly does "dicked in the nob" mean? :shock: I mean, I think it means something like touched in the head, but still. How am I supposed to read that without giggling?) And I'm constantly jarred by the use of "ain't" by people who are supposed to be high society. Is this true to life?
Lali, some of the idiom of the time can be opaque. "Dicked in the nob" does mean touched in the head and it's SUPPOSED to make you giggle.

The use of "ain't" and other expressions considered "common" was adopted by some of the young men in the "fast" set so they'd be considered daring and shocking. (Perhaps like some very middle class American kids adopt "gangsta" terminology?) It was a particular idiom adopted by the upper class undergraduates of Oxford, apparently, to be considered totally savvy and with it.

Unfortunately, Heyer did use a lot of Regency slang - more in some books than in others. You pick it up after a while. :D

Maybe this would help? Doesn't cover everything, and you probably know much of it anyway, but take a look. http://www.thenonesuch.com/lexicon.html

Don't give up on Cotillion! It gets marvellous from about ch 3 onward.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Thanks, Impy! :) I do know some terms from the Regency era, but it is challenging at times. There was some other phrase about tits. :er: I'm telling you. It's at least interesting!

Thanks for the link. It may just help. And I'll keep going; I think I'm about to chapter 3.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

You will absolutely not encounter anything explicitly offensive in Heyer.

Maybe situations to which one would not wish a lady whom one held in high esteem to be subjected.

But vulgarity at any important level, no.

I found Cotillion to be a lot of fun, and I really hope they put another slew of Heyer up for 99 cents. It's an unbeatable bargain for hours of entertainment.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I realized that, which is why I was startled by certain phrases. I also realized that I'm actually on chapter 6. (It is harder to keep track of where you are in a book if you're using a Kindle or nook, don't you think?) But she's about to leave for London, so I think it's picking up a bit. The governess' constant use of poetry actually made me laugh out loud last night. :D
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

There was an entire page that I couldn't make heads or tails of last night. The phrases were one on top of the other. I did not flinch, however, when I came to "dicked in the nob." I knew that one already! :rofl:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It does get a little wearing when the fashionable young men are chattering together. Gotta say. It makes me grateful that Jane Austen never used slang in dialogue. Probably partly because she didn't write about men off by themselves.
themary
Prettiest City I know!

Post by themary »

yovargas wrote:
Lalaith wrote: For one thing, some of the turns of phrase are so hard to wade through. (What exactly does "dicked in the nob" mean? :shock:
:er:
:rofl:
...the embers never fade in your city by the lake

The place where you were born
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

This one is for Inanna and River...or rather, for Mr Inanna and Mr River ;)

Crouching Father, Hidden Toddler: A Zen Guide for New Dads
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0054O6YPC/?tag=afbm-20

To be honest, I've no idea if it's any good, but the blurb made me giggle, and I know from experience that new parents welcome giggles. The blurb:

Crouching Father, Hidden Toddler contains the treasured wisdom that will help new dads master the Buddha-like patience required to be on the receiving end of projectile pureed spinach, sleep-deprived moms, and toys with Some Assembly Required. Experienced dad and aspiring guru C.W. Nevius expounds on the ancient concept of wu wei (i.e., going with the flow) as well as some handy tips picked up from kung fu movies. An array of short essays ponder on such koans as What is the sound of one child napping? Also revealed are such proven parenting techniques as apprenticing with a learned senseiGÇöthat is, the father of a child who doesn't bite. Whimsical illustrations and a winning compact format make this a perfect gift for Father's Day and co-ed baby showers. Warm and encouraging, Crouching Father, Hidden Toddler provides the one necessity for any samurai facing a Mt. Fuji of diapers: laughter.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I liked how "customers who bought this also bought Chicken Ninja" :D
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!