The Kindle Books and Resources List

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

:D

I was hooked on the koan of 'what is the sound of one child napping?'
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

The sound of another child sneaking up to wake him up.

—Mother of Three
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well, it's been nice having a Kindle. After it went through an airline x-ray machine (carry-on), the screen went all stripy and the reset doesn't work. I called Amazon, and they told me it can't be fixed, but they can replace my device for a "service fee" of $85. I told them thanks, but no thanks. The reader lasted barely 14 months.

:burned:

Back to paper books.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yikes! I'm sorry to hear that, Frelga.

I looked online and it seems to have been happening a lot. It would have been nice of them to send out some kind of warning. Late last year, Gizmodo's guy suggested making sure the Kindle goes through X-ray inside a bag, because it might be a static charge that does the damage. But the word doesn't seem to have gotten out. :(
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I've seen the warnings, and I had Kindle inside a backpack, shut down. However, what I had was live working Kindle, turned off, got on the plane, turned on... dead Kindle.

According to the webz it MAY be possible to reset it after opening the cover. I waited to try that until after I called Amazon, in case their warranty would be any help.

I am displeased.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

You have every right to be. :x
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I'm sorry to hear that, Frelga. :(

Is this a new phenomenon? I have a good friend who travels constantly for work, and her kindle (second generation, I believe) must have been through those airport x-ray machines at least 20 times without ill effect. Is it the newer generations of readers that suffer from this in consequence of a difference in their technical builds?

Also...you can still read on the iPhone, you know (and your PC/tablet/etc) by downloading the free kindle reader. Not optimal (battery life; size and heft; backlit screen) but at least you still have access to your kindle library.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Haven't read it, but all reviews are 5-star, and the blurb sounds unique and funny.

Jew Boys on Harleys

http://www.amazon.com/Matzo-Ball-Harley ... ewpoints=1
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

You know, given that plane trips are one of the Kindle's major reasons for existing, you'd think they'd have tested that sort of thing...
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

"Well, the e-ink is sensitive to electromagnetic radiation, so it's not surprising..."
Amazon customer service on the phone with me.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

"Electromagnetic radiation" includes everything from gamma rays to microwaves to radio waves, including all forms of light. It's like saying they're "sensitive to gravity." He wasn't telling you anything, and you should not have been expected to deduce from that "information" that your Kindle shouldn't go through the X-ray machine.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Just found (and immediately downloaded) William Morris' "The Well at the World's End" :love:

Have been seeking it since I was 16 years old, having borrowed and returned the book to the library and have never seen it in print since.

Am happy. :D

Hope it lives up to my (teen) memories.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

If I get a Kindle that says it has wi fi capability- can I still plug it in to a computer to download stuff into it?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yup.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Thanks!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

The Complete Works of Agatha Christie Vol 1: The mystery novels

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WO ... &camp=1789&

Not free, but only 99c[/url]
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Today only, Color of Magic is 1.99. US only. Not the best intro to Pratchett, IMO, despite being the start of the series, but a fun trip nonetheless.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=tsm_1_tw_s_ ... =668010011

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Free for 24 hours: THE SCIENCE OF MIDDLE EARTH: Explaining The Science Behind The Greatest Fantasy Epic Ever Told

Don't know if it's any good, but I downloaded it any way; it's free and I can always delete it if it's rubbish.

http://www.amazon.com/THE-SCIENCE-MIDDL ... +Ever+Told
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The book has a pretty good reputation, so far as I know. I'll certainly go ahead and download it; as you say, what do we have to lose?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."