The Kindle Books and Resources List

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Thanks, Impish, good catch. :hug:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Thanks, Impy! Grabbed it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Thanks! I've got it on Kindle for PC now. :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Today's Kindle Daily Deal, for those interested, is all seven of C. S. Lewis's Narnia books for $1.99 each. They include the Pauline Baynes illustrations.

Link
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Thanks, Prim, that's awesome!
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I was hoping someone would see this! :D For anyone with a Kindle who loves these books, the whole set for less than $14 is awesome. They'll cost three times as much tomorrow (apparently the regular price will be $5.99 per book).

I don't even know where our family's copies are. A lot of the books the kids read and wanted to keep are boxed up.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I've got two boxed sets already, so getting them digitally would be overkill (especially as I won't be reading them).

But aren't those occasional deals fabulous! :D
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I rarely see something I want to buy (their "science fiction" selections are often gritty urban vampire novels, for some reason—nothing wrong with that, except that it isn't science fiction). But it's fun when something does pop up, isn't it? :D
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Currently free on kindle:

Five Minutes on Mondays: Finding Unexpected Purpose, Peace, and Fulfillment at Work [Kindle Edition] by Alan Lurie

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UL3AEG#reader_B001UL3AEG
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Also, for those who may be interested, the Hunger Games trilogy is available now for $5. Don't know that it's such a bargain, but it's certainly cheaper than $40 plus.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XJRQUQ/?tag=afbmc-20
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Hmm, Shows as $17 for me

Kindle Price: $17.70 includes VAT
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

:( Sorry Al. Perhaps it's at that price only on the US site?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Or was only $5 for that day, March 11?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Not for Kindle, but The Da Vinci Code is free on Google Play "for a limited time" and includes an excerpt from the new book. Worth every penny. ;)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Pratchett's latest Discworld novel, Snuff, is $1.99 on Amazon. Probably US only.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005FFW46 ... 74418002_8
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

*click, click, click*

Got it! :D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

The main Kindle Daily Deal today is Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon for $1.99. Link to today's deals

I actually have it on my shelf, but it's an enormous brick of a book and life's been really complicated. . . . The Kindle makes reading so convenient and so easy on the hands that I bought the Kindle version and maybe will actually get it read.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Stephenson is one of those authors who should sell hardbacks by the pound.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yet another daily deal unavailable here. :(
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'm sorry about that, Alatar! :(

Ax, yeah, he'd probably make more money. But his bricks are better bricks than most; the size is needed to contain his ideas, not to fluff up a crap story to blockbuster size.