Quicksilver

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Quicksilver

Post by Ethel »

Cross posted from TOB, in hopes of finding someone else who has read it...

I recently finished this historical novel by Neal Stephenson. I actually started it about a year ago, when I was exiled to a conference in Las Vegas, a place I loathe. I liked the book very much, but put it down when I got home for something easier. For this is not an easy book - none of Stephenson's books are. His prose is dense with ideas and imagery, and I often feel it takes every bit of intelligence I have just to follow him. But there's something rather wonderful about that, is there not?

Anyway, I recently took it up again, and finished it, and loved it. It is the first of three books in what Stephenson has chosen to call "the Baroque Cycle." After a pretty successful career writing edgy science fiction (Zodiac, Snow Crash, The Diamond Age) Stephenson has turned his attention to the past. There was a transitional book called Cryptonomicon which probably deserves its own thread. If any of you have read Cryptonomicon, you will recognize some of the characters in Quicksilver: there are several Shaftoes - evidently ancestors of those in the later book. Enoch Root shows up at critical turning points. And there's a Daniel Waterhouse who is evidently the ancestor of Lawrence Pritchard Waterhouse. Oh, and there is further mention of Qwghlm.

Quicksilver is about... the flowering of human understanding in the 17th century, and how what happened then continues to resonate in our world. Among, well, other things. Many of the characters are historical: Isaac Newton, Gottfried Leibnitz, Robert Hooke, Christiaan Huygens, Samuel Pepys, Louis XIV of France, Charles II of England, William of Orange, and many others. There are also plenty of fictional characters of all types.

I think I understand its genesis, at least in my own way. As a college student, studying calculus, I spent many hours meditating upon Isaac Newton - the man who, during a summer in the plague year of 1665, invented the system of mathematics I spent years learning. I cannot think of him without awe, but in truth the world has not produced many stranger men. It has been speculated that he was borderline autistic. He was an alchemist, a religious fanatic, and, eventually and rather bizarrely, the Master of the English Mint. He never married, and was never reported to have any sort of romance. He probably died a virgin. Yet this odd, troubled, lonely man was arguably the greatest physicist and mathematician who ever lived.

I think Stephenson has thought about Newton a great deal too. But he went further than I did -- this book is a meditation upon the whole age: its fancies, its follies, its greatness. And its adventures. For the world was still a very wild place in the 17th century. The book ranges from England and France, to Germany and Austria, to the Massachusetts Bay Colony. There is brief mention of the Barbary Pirates, of whom we see more in the second book in the cycle, The Confusion. Quicksilver covers, among other things: the Plague Year and the Great Fire in London; the flowering of modern business practices in Amsterdam and The Hague; the court of Louis XIV; and, as the brochures say, much, much more. There is much discussion of contemporary science, both its brilliance and its silliness. We also spend quite a bit of time with the "King of the Vagabonds" in pure adventure mode.

I think this is a work bordering on genius, and I recommend it without reservation. Well, not quite without reservation. It is not an easy read. The prose, though delightful, is dense - packed with ideas. Plan to furrow your brow from time to time if you decide to take it on.

I'll quote a few passages just to give the flavor of the writing.

From Quicksilver - a description of an alchemical meeting:
Smudged faces turned towards Daniel, sequins of perspiration tumbled from drooping eyebrows. He immediately recognized Robert Boyle and John Locke, Fellows of the Royal Society, but, too, there were certain gentlemen who tended to show up at their garden-gate at perverse hours, robed and hooded -- as if they really needed to conceal their identities when the King himself was practicing the Art at Whitehall. Viewing their petulant faces by firelight, Daniel wished they'd kept the hoods on. For, alas, they weren't Babylonian sorcerers or Jesuit warrior-priests or Druidic warlocks after all, but an unmatched set of small-town apothecaries, bored noblemen, and crack-pated geezers, with faces that were either too slack or too spasmodical. One of them was markedly young -- Daniel recognized him as Roger Comstock, he of the so-called Golden Comstocks, who'd been a scholar along with Daniel, Isaac, Upnor, Monmouth, and Jeffreys. Isaac had put Roger Comstock to work pumping a bellows, and the strain was showing on his face, but he was not about to complain. Too, there was a small and very trim raptor-faced man with white hair. Daniel recognized him as Monsieur LeFebure, the King's Chymist, who'd introduced John Comstock and Thomas More Anglesey and others -- including the King himself -- to the Art, when they'd been exiled in St.-Germain during the Cromwell years.

But all of these were satellites, or (like Jupiter's moons) satellites of satellites. The Sun stood at a writing-desk in the center of the room, quill in hand, calmly making notations in a large, stained, yellowed Book. He was dressed in a long splotched smock with several holes burnt through it, though the hem of a scarlet robe could be seen hanging beneath. His head was encased in a sort of leather sack with a windowpane let into it so that he could see out. Where Daniel stood, that rectangle of glass happened to be reflecting an open furnace-door, so instead of the bulging eyes, he saw a brilliant sheet of streaming flame. A breathing-tube, comprising segments of hollow cane plumbed together by the small intestine of some beast, was sewn through the bag. Isaac had tossed it back over his shoulder. It dangled down his back and ran across the floor to Roger Comstock, who pumped fresh air into it with a bellows. So they must be doing something with mercury this evening. Isaac had observed that quicksilver, absorbed into his body, produced effects like those of coffee or tobacco, only more so, and so he used the breathing apparatus whenever he had begun to feel especially twitchy.

From Quicksilver - a conversation between Jack Shaftoe, the King of the Vagabonds, and Eliza, the English (actually "Qwghlmian") girl he rescued from Turkish slavery:
"Oh, I'll hold up my end of the partnership. Years of dangling from hanged men's feet taught me the value of honest dealings." Jack stopped talking for a moment to stifle his mirth. Then, "Yes, the advantages of being on the road with Half-Cocked Jack are many: no man is my master. I have boots. A sword, axe, and horse, too. I cannot be but chaste. Secret smugglers' roads are all known to me. I know the zargon and the code-signs of Vagabonds, who, taken together, constitute a sort of (if I may speak poetically) network of information, spreading all over the world, functioning smoothly even when damaged, by which I may know which pays offer safe haven and passage, and which oppress wandering persons. You could do worse."

"Why then did you say I might be better off there?" Eliza said, nodding toward the great nunnery with its wings curling around toward the road like a beetle's tongs.

"Well, some would say I should've mentioned this to you earlier, but: you've taken up with a man who can be hanged on arrival in most jurisdictions."

"Ooh, you're an infamous criminal?"

"Only some places -- but that's not why."

"Why then?"

"I'm of a particular type. The Devil's Poor."

"Oh."

"Shames me to say it -- but when I was drunk and battle-flushed I showed you my other secret and so I've no way, I'm sure, to fall any lower in your esteem."

"What is the Devil's Poor? Are you a Satan-worshipper?"

"Only when I fall in among Satan-worshippers. Haw! No, it is an English expression. There are two kinds of poor -- God's and the Devil's. God's poor, such as widows, orphans, and recently escaped white slave-girls with pert arses, can and should be helped. Devil's poor are beyond help -- charity's wasted on 'em. The distinction 'tween the two categories is recognized in all civilized countries."

And this from The Confusion, just because I think it's a lovely anachronistic joke (probably helps to have been in one of those hellish corporate 'figure out a mission statement' sessions :P):
"Then what do you mean when you say you understood his plan?"

"I understood his basic principle: that a group of slaves who, taken one by one, were assigned a very low value by the market, might yet be worth much when grouped together cleverly... " Vrej rolled up to his feet and grimaced into the sun. "The wording does not come naturally in this bastard language of Sabir, but Moseh's plan was to synergistically leverage the value-added of diverse core competencies into a virtual entity whose whole was more than the sum of its parts... "

Jack stared at him blankly.

"It sounds brilliant in Armenian." Vrej sighed.
Has anyone read this book? I really need to talk about it. Will probably crosspost at HoF in hopes of finding another fan...
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Oddly enough, I just picked up this book last week. It's next on my list of books to read while avoiding reading my textbooks. :roll: I really enjoyed Snowcrash - it was a wild ride. I look forward to reading this book and will let you know when I'm done with it.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Glad you're enjoying it, Ethel. I tried it and gave up!
Dig deeper.
Meneltarma

Post by Meneltarma »

I loved this series. I love how excited Stephenson seems...at times he goes on (and on and on and on!) and it gets tedious, but you get the feeling he's genuinely excited by his knowledge of the period and really wants to share it with his audience.

This is now one of my favourite historical periods. We have quite a bit of Restoration and Enlightenment literature this year and next, and reading this really helped me to understand the texts and why this period was so special. This has led to strange discussions with friends...me shouting "can you not see what's happening here? Why it's important?" and flailing my arms around wildly, and them trying to pat me on the shoulder and calm me down.
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

narya wrote:Oddly enough, I just picked up this book last week. It's next on my list of books to read while avoiding reading my textbooks. :roll: I really enjoyed Snowcrash - it was a wild ride. I look forward to reading this book and will let you know when I'm done with it.
If you liked Snow Crash I think you'll like this one too. It does start a bit slowly - we don't really switch into adventure mode until Jack Shaftoe, King of the Vagabonds, shows up in Book Two.

vison wrote:Glad you're enjoying it, Ethel. I tried it and gave up!
Understandable. Some of those early chapters are tough going, especially the one about vivisection - which, apparently, was something scientists of the time were given to. :shock:

Meneltarma wrote:I loved this series. I love how excited Stephenson seems...at times he goes on (and on and on and on!) and it gets tedious, but you get the feeling he's genuinely excited by his knowledge of the period and really wants to share it with his audience.
Yes, Stephenson is a bit guilty of wanting to use all his research, isn't he? :D But his enthusiasm is infectious, and once I really got into the book I found I enjoyed it very much.
Meneltarma wrote:This is now one of my favourite historical periods. We have quite a bit of Restoration and Enlightenment literature this year and next, and reading this really helped me to understand the texts and why this period was so special. This has led to strange discussions with friends...me shouting "can you not see what's happening here? Why it's important?" and flailing my arms around wildly, and them trying to pat me on the shoulder and calm me down.
It has always been one of my favorite historical periods - I wish you were nearby so we could have a good natter about it. I mentioned the awe in which I hold Isaac Newton, weirdo though he undoubtedly was. But it wasn't just him. There was also Robert Hooke, the first to understand that living matter was made of cells; Christiaan Huygens who first described light as a wave, invented the pendulum clock, and discovered Saturn's moon Titan; Robert Boyle of Boyle's Law fame; and Gottfried Leibnitz who invented the calculus more or less simultaneously with Newton, and whose notation we still use today (it is much better than Newton's.) And so many others: people doing real science for the first time since - I don't know - Pythagoras or something. (Oh, I know we need to include Gallileo and Keppler who came a bit earlier, and of whom Newton once wrote, "If I have seen further it is by standing on ye shoulders of Giants.")

Politically it was a very lively time as well. The New World had been discovered, and its gold and silver had made Spain rich in a way it never was before or after. Charles II of England was surely one of the most amusing monarchs any country ever produced. (I once stayed at an inn in Salisbury which claimed he had slept there on the run from the Roundheads - I take this with a grain of salt. I suspect it's the English equivalent of "George Washington slept here." ;))

I'm about a third of the way through the 2nd book at this point. I was pleased to find much about Jack Shaftoe in it, for he is one of my favorite characters. (This character was apparently based in part on the dashing English outlaw John Sheppard, also known as Jack Sheppard, "Gentleman Jack," and "Jack the Lad.")
Meneltarma

Post by Meneltarma »

There's an incredibly boring chapter in the second book where Eliza teaches the French court about economics. Skip it. :D

I've always found the period fascinating legally and scientifically as well. Stephenson makes me think about commerce (money flowing in from the new world). Plus, Dryden! Milton! Behn! Pope! The Earl of Rochester!

There's lots of Jack Shaftoe in this book, but really not enough of Daniel Waterhouse. This is a pity, because I really like the character. Sigh.

I plan to read Cryptonomicon sometime this summer.
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

If you are interested in somewhat tedious books about commerce and the New World, try "How the Scots Invented the Modern World". It seems, in short, that they were drug lords. They got fabulously rich while getting Europe hooked on tobacco from the New World, then used that money to further the "practical arts" like weaving and silversmithing, and eventually the Industrial Revolution. According to the author, anyway.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Read the cycle and the Cryptonomicon.

Stephenson is a strange and interesting cross between Heinlein and Michener. Lots of the larger-than-life-and-more-accomplished-than-you-will-ever-be heroes like the former, genuine historical sweep like the latter.

He can't write a sex scene to save his life, though. :D
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

I'm still plugging away at Quicksilver. I should be done in a week or two.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

axordil wrote:Read the cycle and the Cryptonomicon.

Stephenson is a strange and interesting cross between Heinlein and Michener. Lots of the larger-than-life-and-more-accomplished-than-you-will-ever-be heroes like the former, genuine historical sweep like the latter.

Neither could Michener or (shudder) Heinlein.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

axordil wrote:Read the cycle and the Cryptonomicon.

Well... there was that one scene in Quicksilver between Eliza and Jack. In the hot springs. Very odd, I grant you. :shock:

I think Stephenson isn't much interested in sex. He's interested in ideas.
Meneltarma

Post by Meneltarma »

There was also the rather silly scene between Daniel and...Tess, was it? In the first book. About the moral relevance of sheepgut. :D

I agree with Ethel, ideas are the real subject of the trilogy.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I actually preferred Daniel as a main character, BTW. For one thing, he actually developed over the course of the story, whereas Jack is inalterably Jack from beginning to end.

But Eliza is better than both.