100 Fantasy Books

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

I finished reading the first two Kingkiller Chronicle books (The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man’s Fear) earlier this year and liked them so much I promptly turned around and read them over again. I can’t wait for the final book to come out. The author, Patrick Rothfuss (who is a really neat guy) has stated that the book should be ready in 2012. He had originally submitted the entire series as a single book but his editor convinced him to split it into a trilogy. He took the opportunity to rewrite the story to fit that format and now insists that the delays in publishing are not a marketing plow but that he is really working on perfecting the story. Considering he spent seven years on the original manuscript ...

It’s a great story, fascinating characters and a fully conceived world. Look forward to the conclusion.

I’m reading the Song of Fire and Ice series now (Game of Thrones, etc...). Like it, but talk about long. I’m almost through the second book now. Needs to pick up the pace.
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

tinwë wrote:I’m reading the Song of Fire and Ice series now (Game of Thrones, etc...). Like it, but talk about long. I’m almost through the second book now. Needs to pick up the pace.
Sorry to say, but the pace slows to a grinding glacier starting in book 4. Book 2 is like rocket compared to books 4 & 5. These are slower than the last few Auel books.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

CosmicBob wrote:These are slower than the last few Auel books.
:scarey:

Goodness. I read the 5th Auel out of ... hmmm, well, I have this thing about finishing stuff I start, you see, and so I read the 5th book once, and argh. ( The 4th one was already a bit slow to say the least, but at least had some interesting parts. )

I have yet to read the last one. I'll pick it up in a second hand bookstore in a year or two. After paying full price for that brick of a 5th one ( what was it called? Shelters of Stone? ) I can wait. :)

So, I guess I'm saying I'll never survive Fire & Ice if it is even slower. :D
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

For me, a series ends when I can't bear to read it any more. Sometimes sooner--I retroactively forgot all of the Thomas Covenant books to make up for the trauma.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I read "Clan of the Cave Bear" in an anthropology class in college. I read the next one when it came out. I started the third.... and quit it part way. It was just getting silly.

I'm really loving the sequel to "Name of the Wind". It's going to be hard waiting for the third book. :) And the reader is awesome! Probably one of the best narrators I've ever heard. :)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I just put myself on the waiting list for the Kingkiller chronicle books. :)

Prim, I just read White Dragon - which was nice. But I wasn't able to read any others of McCaffrey's - dolphins of Pern, renegades of Pern series. You are right, she really went downhill. :P
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Yes. It's too bad; I loved those early books. I went on buying the paperbacks out of habit, but realized after only three or four occasions of being unable to finish the book :blackeye: that the part of the story I cared about had all been told. And that she wasn't writing as well, or wasn't being edited as well, as she had at first. She never was a brilliant writer, but she told good stories and I liked her characters.

I've read that Robinton the Masterharper was based on a real person, a dear friend of hers, and that after he died, she found herself unable to write stories set in Robinton's time any more; it was too hard.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

I hope the planned movie adaption turns out well; I enjoyed the earlier books too. The first one I happened to read was Dragonsdawn.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

And that she wasn't writing as well, or wasn't being edited as well, as she had at first. She never was a brilliant writer, but she told good stories and I liked her characters.
yes, the characters were nice, and the writing was decent. But later....in one of the books I tried to read, I was mentally wincing and editing so often that I just gave up. :P
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oi, I do that too! Mentally straightening convoluted sentences, substituting more precise (imo) words, crossing out whole paragraphs, and in extreme cases, chapters. Or even entire books.
:help:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Someone should send Mr. S. King these posts.

I have read 2 S. King books: Misery, which was sorta semi-OK. And then I toiled miserably through Tommyknockers. I would NOT give up.

Horrible, but not in the way he meant. :puke:
Dig deeper.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Frelga wrote:Oi, I do that too! Mentally straightening convoluted sentences, substituting more precise (imo) words, crossing out whole paragraphs, and in extreme cases, chapters. Or even entire books.
:help:
Me too. Actually, before buying a book, fiction or non-fiction, I open it about a third of the way in, and then two thirds of the way in, etc, and I read a few sentences. If they slide down my brain like nails on a chalkboard, I put the book back, no matter how promising it looked. The mental editing distracts me from the story, and I want the book so I can disappear into the story, see.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Reading for fun when you copyedit for a living can have a similar effect. :blackeye:

And when you write fiction yourself, there's the opposite problem: the feeling when you read excellent writing that you want to climb into a hole and pray that nobody ever reads any of your own books again. :help:

Good stuff is still worth reading. But it's hard to find a "beach read."

vison, I have enjoyed most of the King novels I've read—but I've never tried to read those two books. There were a number of years when he was drinking heavily and taking drugs; I wonder whether those were written then. There's at least one of his books that he says he has no memory of writing. (He's been sober for years.)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Misery wasn't so miserable as it was short.

And, you need never blush for your writing, Ms. Primula Baggins. You are an EXCELLENT writer and that you may tie to.
Dig deeper.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I thought the Stand was a good read. I read the unabridged version, which made me wince some, because he needs someone to tell him when enough is too much already.

Without revealing any details of the book, suffice it to say I was a bit displeased with the culmination. It was like having great sex for 900 pages, then drifting off to sleep for the last hundred or so.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Thank you, vison. Coming from you that means a lot. :hug:

I've read The Stand, because postapocalyptic stories are a guilty pleasure of mine. I have the unabridged one I bought quite a while ago, but haven't managed to screw up the courage—the edited version was maybe a tad bit the other side of long enough. . . .

I wonder sometimes whether the huge size of a lot of fantasy novels can be attributed to Tolkien. I do wish the newer writers had Tolkien's gift for making the reader wish there was more. (I'd bet they do, too. :twisted: )
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Primula Baggins wrote:vison, I have enjoyed most of the King novels I've read—but I've never tried to read those two books. There were a number of years when he was drinking heavily and taking drugs; I wonder whether those were written then. There's at least one of his books that he says he has no memory of writing. (He's been sober for years.)
A quick google search confirms that Tommyknockers is in fact one of (or maybe the) book that he wrote while drinking heavily and taking drugs. (I've never read any Stephen King, so I have no opinion either way.)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Griffon64 wrote:Me too. Actually, before buying a book, fiction or non-fiction, I open it about a third of the way in, and then two thirds of the way in, etc, and I read a few sentences. If they slide down my brain like nails on a chalkboard, I put the book back, no matter how promising it looked. The mental editing distracts me from the story, and I want the book so I can disappear into the story, see.
I do that too! The drawback to that is that sometimes I just keep going till the end. :blackeye: Actually, I find that many books are improved by this approach, especially those that I read just to keep up with my son's reading. I start half-way, scan through the rest, and if it looks good start over and read again. :help:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Primula Baggins wrote:vison, I have enjoyed most of the King novels I've read—but I've never tried to read those two books. There were a number of years when he was drinking heavily and taking drugs; I wonder whether those were written then. There's at least one of his books that he says he has no memory of writing. (He's been sober for years.)
A quick google search confirms that Tommyknockers is in fact one of (or maybe the) book that he wrote while drinking heavily and taking drugs. (I've never read any Stephen King, so I have no opinion either way.)
Thanks, Voronwë. I'm under the gun again, so did not take time to search. (I've got a very large book that turned out to be more complicated than anyone expected [not just me], and I have until Halloween to prove that they don't need to hire another copyeditor. If I can do it, that's a lot of money between now and the end of the year that I won't have to split with someone else. Like, a whole lot. As in, I have to do this.)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Good luck, sweets. You can do it. You WILL do it. :hug: