Book recommendations for kids!

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oh, before I forget again, Cynthia Voigt! Jackaroo would work for an 11 yo. Izzy Willy Nilly is probably better for the 15 yo, same with Elske.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Rodia
Disjointed Tinker

Post by Rodia »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only one who can decide whether a child is too young for a certain book is said child :P The only real obstacle is vocabulary. And of course it depends what the kid likes...I know at age ten my favourite book was Attenborough's 'Secret life of plants'.

But yes, I know what you meant, so...for ten years old...

I was going to suggest The Borrowers for Cliodhna but I see Teremia already mentioned that one.

Astrid Lindgren's books are excellent, all of them- The Brothers Lionheart is written for children of about ten but it has all the emotional impact of LOTR.

The Worst Witch series is pretty cute, a book about a school of magic from long before HP...

The Moomin series by Tove Jannson . If you don't have them yet.

For fifteen I have no idea, I'd say some good historical fiction. Mika Waltari?
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

truehobbit wrote:Nin, yep, I couldn't believe it when I noticed that Moers of all people gets translated so much. (Not that I think he's bad, just that there's a lot of great stuff that doesn't. :) )

Another German classic that exists in English translation is "Krabat" (translated as "The Satanic Mill") - a somewhat mature fairy tale for older kids. :)

And speaking of German books, the ones by Michael Ende are good for ages 10 - 15, I'd say. :)
Why did it astonish you? I think he is awesome, but I wonder how he can be translated. There are so many word-games and so many anagrams in his books, if it's well-translated, the ranslator must be awesome too.
I really, really like Moers.

I second Krabat "The Satanic Mill". That's one of those books you never forget.
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

For the 15 year-old, how about any of Meg Rosoff's books?

- How I Live Now,
- What I Was,
- The Bride's Farewell
- Just In Case

http://www.contemporarywriters.com/auth ... iIg120E844
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Thanks guys, I ended up ordering the "House of Night" Series for the 15 year oild, but I've passed on your other suggestions to her Mum.

I'm still leaning towards the Inkheart trilogy for Cliodhna, as I find she has more interest in reading a book after seeing the movie.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Inkheart trilogy is great - my two eldest boys (14 1/2 and 13) and I each read the books over the past couple of years and they are far superior to the film, of course...
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Nin wrote: Why did it astonish you? I think he is awesome, but I wonder how he can be translated. There are so many word-games and so many anagrams in his books, if it's well-translated, the ranslator must be awesome too.
I really, really like Moers.
Well, like I said, I don't think he's bad, but I don't think he's particularly good, either. If as much German lit was translated into English as the other way round, I'd not be at all surprised he is among them. But given that hardly anything at all gets translated, I just wonder why Moers of all people. :)

(I only know a little of his "little arsehole" comics, though, and don't find them all that brilliant, and I tried to read "Captain Bluebear", but found it too boring and repetitive to finish it. After initially liking it, I got bored about a fifth into the book, but ploughed on, hoping to finish it, until about the first third of it, and then just had to put it aside. The basic idea is brilliant and original, but he works it to death within a hundred pages, I think. 250 pages would have been doable (and also a good length for a simple comical story), but 700 is way too much. But, then, I've never been a fan of repetition as a means of comedy. :) )
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I can't really give any recommendations on current stuff, but I can give recommendations on classics, if anyone needs them--particularly if you want classics (or Newberry or Caldecott books) arranged by historical period.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

So Clíodhna just finished the first Inkheart book. She has been completely engrossed, so much so that she asked if she could finish the last chapter in the car on the way to school. I asked her if it was the best book she'd ever read and she said "Definitely!". She stated that all her friends are reading Jacqueline Wilson books but she doesn't really like them. Naturally I asked why.

"They're all about teenagers and bitching. There's enough of that in real life. I like reading books about different worlds and things that can't happen in real life. What's that called?"

"Fantasy, honey. Its called Fantasy." :love:
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

:love: what a wonderful moment for you!

My ten-year-old is reading FotR at the moment, which I'm thrilled about. He loves the Hobbit and has of course watched the movie trilogy loads of times.

The two eldest (13 & nearly 15) have read LotR several times, and are steadily working their way through our fantasy library collection after covering most of the children's fantasy lit. Both have read David Eddings extensively, and I have just started the 13-year-old on Robert Jordan's THE WHEEL OF TIME after he finished hubby's Asimov FOUNDATION sci-fi series!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:love:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Alatar wrote:"Fantasy, honey. Its called Fantasy." :love:
:D What excellent taste she has. :)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
samaranth

Post by samaranth »

Alatar wrote:...
"They're all about teenagers and bitching. There's enough of that in real life. I like reading books about different worlds and things that can't happen in real life. What's that called?"

"Fantasy, honey. Its called Fantasy." :love:
Best.Answer.Ever. :D
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That was so precious!

In a good, totally non-Gollum-like way.

And the best thing about fantasy, IMO - good fantasy, at least - that among all that fighting dragons and Dark Lords there just might be a few lessons on how to handle teenagers bitching.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I'd like to recommend an Australian author, Morris Gleitzman - don't know if he's available at bookshops in the US, but he should be available in the UK.

Most of his books run on a sense of fun and a sense of humour - he's written short story books as well as some longer novels for kids and collaborated with another celebrated Australian children's author, Paul Jennings. The books are targeted to kids up to early teens.

The "Toad" series: Toad Rage, Toad Heaven, Toad Away - Very funny fantasy with a Cane Toad as a very sympathetic hero.

He's also written some excellent books centred on human rights issues:

The trilogy, "Once", "Then" and "Now" is an excellent introduction to the Holocaust and genocide for contemporary kids. Each is a stand alone story, but they also work as a trilogy. He uses the child narrator's comic innocence as a counterpoint in exploring some stark facts of history.

"Boy Overboard" was inspired by the harrowing experiences of refugees seeking asylum in Australia. Jamal and Bibi escape from Afghanistan with their family and try to make a home in Australia. Again, a contemporary story told from a child's perspective and a sense of humour.

"Grace" takes the reader inside an extremist Christian-based cult and the experiences of a young girl who dares to think for herself and ask questions. The consequences for our young narrator/protagonist are a lesson in the importance of questioning given wisdom. I hasten to add that Gleitzman is not anti-religion; he is anti-cult.

Here is his Wikipedia entry in case you want to check him out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Gleitzman
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.