What are you reading?

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Maria wrote:I'm listening to "White Night" by Jim Butcher, read by James Marsters. I've read the book before, of course, but it's so much more when read by a good actor. :) He's the perfect voice for Harry Dresden. :)
I missed this the last time I read through this thread. You are absolutely right, Maria! In the past month I've listened to two of Butcher's books read by Marsters: "Storm Front" and "Fool Moon." They are both enjoyable books that couldn't have been read better.

A recent read that I'd highly recommend is "Eifelheim" by Michael Flynn. A friend hooked me into reading it by showing me Library of Congress' list of categories it could be filed under: 1. Germany - History - 1273-1517 - Fiction. 2. Black Death - Fiction. 3. Fourteenth century - Fiction. 4. Priests - Fiction. 5. Historians - Fiction. 6. Women physicists - Fiction. 7. Human-alien encounters - Fiction.

Plague and physicists and priests, oh my! I loved it.

Also recently read: "The Big Over Easy" by Jasper Fforde, about detectives solving the case of the dastardly death of Humpty Dumpty; "Black and White and Dead All Over" by John Darnton, about murder in a newsroom; "The Language of Bees" by Laurie R. King, a Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes mystery; and "The Dance of Life: Weaving Sorrows and Blessings into One Joyful Step" by Henri Nouwen, which is a wise and gentle book that isn't about murder. :)

Right now I'm reading "The Brain that Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science," which is about the plasticity of the brain, and I'm dipping into "Tesla: Man Out of Time" by Margaret Cheney.
None_Elf_Ear

Post by None_Elf_Ear »

Currently I started to wander a bit in less explored corners of Fantasy, i.e. Dark Fantasy and some of its neighbours. To be more specific I began reading the first book of the so-called Dark Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop, and I finished the first book/started the second book of Sarah Monette's Doctrine of Labyrinths series.

At the same time, courtesy of Nin, I do have Tintenherz (Inkheart) at my hands until Tuesday, but since it's in German I might not get very far - I intend to look it up afterwards though, it seems very nice!