The Hunchback of Notre-Dame

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Túrin Turambar

The Hunchback of Notre-Dame

Post by Túrin Turambar »

This is one of those books that I read and thnk about occaisonally. I wouldn’t call it one of my favourite books, but I never fail to find the story a powerful one.

It tells the story of those who live at the bottom of medieval society - the gypsies, the deformed, the homeless - and manages to do so frankly without being sensationalist. As with most of Victor Hugo’s work, it is concerned with social justice. It is also notable for its extremely intense love quadrangle (?), and the different passions that three men have for one woman. The soldier, who has a passing desire to sleep with her but otherwise loses interest in her despite her love for for him; the Archdeacon, who feels a burning passion for her, frustrated by his vows of celibacy, that drives him into madness and revenge; and the hunchback, who genuinely loves her for her compassion for him but has no hope of being loved in return. And finally, it revolves around the Cathedral and its role in the life of Medieval Paris, almost making it into a character in its own right.

It appeals to me for the parallels that it draws between the characters. While Phoebus de Chateaupers is handsome and dashing, he is shallow, selfish and amoral. And while Quasimodo is deformed, he has a clear sense of justice and shows courage when it matters. This is the classic parallel, that is illustrated the famous scene with the two vases of flowers. But by far the most interesting character is the Archdeacon, Claude Frollo. He is an intelligent and educated man who shows great compassion when he takes the orphaned Quasimodo in, but also a dark recluse who falls into evil as the novel progresses, unable to rule his own passions. As the people of Paris observe, in the end his soul is proven to be as crippled as Quasimodo’s body.

This book is probably now best-known through the Disney version, which I imagine must give purists apoplexy. I’ve got no idea who said first ‘hey, let’s take this book about how two men’s lives are destroyed by their lust for a woman and turn it into an animated children’s movie’, but it led to studio’s darker and more adult works. Frollo is simplified to become the villain, Phoebus does a near one-eighty to become a hero, and the result, while not Hugo, is interesting. And who can forget the highlight of every family cartoon, the scene where the villain sings about his sexual obsession for the female lead, and how he feels that only by burning her to death in life will he save his soul from the fires of hell? I’m more than a little impressed that they had the guts to go through with it.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

How did I miss taking my kids to see this one in the theater? They were 3, 6, and 7 when it came out—perfect!

The book, now—I've never been tempted to read it before, but I am now.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Prim, you must read it!

I came to the story through Maureen O'Hara's & Charles Laughton's portrayals in the 1939 film when I was a kid. I was incredibly moved by the film, especially the flogging scene - I remember tears streaming down my face!! - and I devoured the book as soon as I could get my hands on it.

Like with Les Miserables, the novel is darker. One of the best tragedies ever written, especially if you like to shed some tears while reading. It's heart wrenching and thought provoking. :cry:

The story envelops unrequited love, loyalty and betrayal, gratitude and unrelenting coldness. It's like going back in time to the 15th century, we can see masquerades roaming the streets of France. A lonely bell ringer with a hunched back ringing bells, longing to see his beloved girl. The archdeacon, who, by nature may not be evil, But the endless temptation made him an absolute devil. An absurd love triangle that was almost funny, and yet resulted only in tragedy. A gypsy prostitute filled with remorse and anger, and yet.... everything turned to nothing. The ending is a lot more emotional and protracted than the film, too.

The famous Quisimodo is probably the ultimate symbol of an ugly face with a kind heart. He is one of the bravest protagonists I've ever encountered. He has a heart of gold. And yet he received nothing. That was Hugo's tragedy at his best.

btw, Hugo never wrote a book called "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"! It's called Le Notre Dame de Paris ;)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I read this book when I was about 11? Something like that. I must give it another shot. :D I missed a lot, seemingly.
Dig deeper.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: The Hunchback of Notre-Dame

Post by yovargas »

Lord_Morningstar wrote:And who can forget the highlight of every family cartoon, the scene where the villain sings about his sexual obsession for the female lead, and how he feels that only by burning her to death in life will he save his soul from the fires of hell? I’m more than a little impressed that they had the guts to go through with it.
Haha, I remember being rather dumb-founded by that - a moody little Disney cartoon number about lust-fueled murder! What the hell were they thinking?? :help: :D
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Túrin Turambar

Re: The Hunchback of Notre-Dame

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Elentári wrote:btw, Hugo never wrote a book called "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"! It's called Le Notre Dame de Paris ;)
If you read French it is ;).
yovargas wrote:
Lord_Morningstar wrote:And who can forget the highlight of every family cartoon, the scene where the villain sings about his sexual obsession for the female lead, and how he feels that only by burning her to death in life will he save his soul from the fires of hell? I’m more than a little impressed that they had the guts to go through with it.
Haha, I remember being rather dumb-founded by that - a moody little Disney cartoon number about lust-fueled murder! What the hell were they thinking?? :help: :D
It's on Youtube - the song is called, of all things, Hellfire. Tony Jay's distinctive baritone voice certainly gives it some added kick. It also has to be the first use of the word 'liscentious' in a Disney film.

I also need to try out 'choose me or...your pyre' as a pickup line one of these days...
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:D Do let us know how that comes out. . . .
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

L_M wrote:
Elentári wrote:
btw, Hugo never wrote a book called "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"! It's called Le Notre Dame de Paris

If you read French it is . ;)

What Hugo wrote was a book called NOTRE DAME OF PARIS (in French: NOTRE DAME de PARIS). Some early translator gave it the name THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME. This is not a book that is primarily about a hunchback named Quasimodo or a beautiful Gypsy girl named Esmerelda. It is a book narrowly focused on the Cathedral of Notre Dame situated on the Ile de la Cite in the center of Paris.

While Quasimodo is certainly a core character, the book is a story about medieval Paris, the daily life of the city, the ordinary citizens of the growing city, the privileged class and themes of love, passion, death and honour. One of the things that makes the novel a masterpiece, besides the poetic descriptions, is Hugo's description of the cathedral of Notre-Dame and the city of Paris, and his discussion of how the arrival of printing press signaled an end to the importance as architecture as the expressive art of intellectuals. Hugo not only gives a historical and architectural prespective on the buildings in Paris, but also provides a word image of buildings, roofs, rooms, carvings, modernism, and more.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Notre Dame de Paris or Our Lady of Paris. But I've never seen it as Our Lady of Paris, which is odd. Why translate "de" into "of" and leave the rest? Very weird, if you ask me.
Dig deeper.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

This actually makes me want to read it. I've never really been intrigued before.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

vison wrote:Notre Dame de Paris or Our Lady of Paris. But I've never seen it as Our Lady of Paris, which is odd. Why translate "de" into "of" and leave the rest? Very weird, if you ask me.
How about we split the difference and retitle it "The Hunchback of our Lady".
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

And we haven't even brought up the other complication, the famous football program (with attached university) widely known here as "Noter Daym."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Elentári wrote:L_M wrote:
Elentári wrote:
btw, Hugo never wrote a book called "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"! It's called Le Notre Dame de Paris

If you read French it is . ;)

What Hugo wrote was a book called NOTRE DAME OF PARIS (in French: NOTRE DAME de PARIS). Some early translator gave it the name THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME. This is not a book that is primarily about a hunchback named Quasimodo or a beautiful Gypsy girl named Esmerelda. It is a book narrowly focused on the Cathedral of Notre Dame situated on the Ile de la Cite in the center of Paris.

While Quasimodo is certainly a core character, the book is a story about medieval Paris, the daily life of the city, the ordinary citizens of the growing city, the privileged class and themes of love, passion, death and honour. One of the things that makes the novel a masterpiece, besides the poetic descriptions, is Hugo's description of the cathedral of Notre-Dame and the city of Paris, and his discussion of how the arrival of printing press signaled an end to the importance as architecture as the expressive art of intellectuals. Hugo not only gives a historical and architectural prespective on the buildings in Paris, but also provides a word image of buildings, roofs, rooms, carvings, modernism, and more.
Of course, I was being a little facetious. Every English edition of the book has been called The Hunchback of Notre-Dame. AFAIK, English publishers thought that a book about a hunchback would sell better than a book about a Cathedral.

It’s interesting that Hugo doesn’t offer much commentary on the medieval church (and to me, refreshing, as there’s been book after heavy-handed book on it). He talks a great deal about the Cathedral, and its Archdeacon is a major character, but the church itself is more or less assumed. I like that, as it gives it a more genuine and realistic feel. I’ve always had an issue with historical writers who waffle on about things that would have been ubiquitious and commonplace to their characters, like those writers of Samurai fiction who make their characters repeatedly remind each other of the importance of honour. It’d be like modern people talking about table manners at every meal.

As to the translation issue, proper nouns never seem to be translated. That goes for British/American English as well. For example, harbour, but Pearl Harbor.