Science fiction: what do you recommend?

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Dune, definitely; Dune Messiah, okay; for me it lost a lot of steam after that, but other people's mileage varies!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'm not sure that I'd recommend Earthsea for an eight year old. The language and concepts are quite adult. Looking back, I suppose the obvious "beginners" books for Fantasy are "The Hobbit" and "Chronicles of Narnia". I wouldn't have a problem with the Dragonlance type books as they are an introduction to the Genre and are reasonably well written, particularly for an eight year old. I look on books for that age as gateway books. I recently bought my nephew the first few books of the "Young Jedi" series because he loves Star Wars and it's a way of hooking him into sci-fi novels. That's why I also like game and film tie-in books. Anything that encourages reading is "a good thing". There are also many older books that have an element of the fantastic, like E. Nesbitts books, which I think are suitable for kids of any age.

My 7 year old is currently reading Secret Seven, but I'm looking forward to initiating her into my world....
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

When I think back on the books I read as a kid, an awful lot of them were away over my head but I loved them anyway. I guess I think if a kid can read it and enjoy it, it's not too old for him.

I've read so much sci-fi and have read hardly ANY of the ones you guys are talking about. I feel like, hey, I missed all this?

Well, that can be fixed. Printing out these lists.
:D
Dig deeper.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Alatar, this morning I was browsing the shelves of a second hand book store (my favourite place to browse! I can walk out heaving a huge armful of books and spend under $10) and found a Dragonlance game book and another Dungeons and Dragons book - the kind where you have to throw dice to make decisions and one decision takes you to X page and another decision takes you to Y page. I figure he'll enjoy that a lot! Plus...it cunningly leads to RPG.

Baby steps; as long as he's reading and having fun, the habit will build.

My boy read all the Famous Five, but lost interest in that genre and didn't want to go on to the Secret Seven. Ah well. He's on the SciFi/Fantasy track now.

Vison, I feel much like you! How did I miss these, when I read so much in the genre as a young 'un? I guess I just went with what my local library had on the shelves - and perhaps I did read some of them but have forgotten the names (very likely).

I enjoyed Dune very much! The first trilogy was very satisfying and created a very comprehensive and believable universe. The ones written after that were not so good. He ran out of steam, I think, and the plots were all over the place; no tension, the characters became flat.

And the "prequels" turned out by his son and a collaborator after Herbert's death are not good at all. My brother in law is a Herbert fanatic and he lent me one of them, "House Harkonnen" I believe it was; I tried repeatedly to read it and couldn't get past the first chapter. So loooong, and to no purpose at all.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Primula_Baggins wrote:Dune, definitely; Dune Messiah, okay; for me it lost a lot of steam after that, but other people's mileage varies!
You know, Prim, most people that I speak to share your opinion. I one of those few I loves the whole series that Herbert wrote. Strangely, though, I have had little interest in checking out the "prequels" that his son has written with Kevin Anderson; I just can't imagine that they would stand up. I suppose I should check them out someday, though.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Not worth your while, Voronwë; a turgid mish-mash, plotless, riding on the tail of his father's reputation.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I should try at least CHILDREN OF DUNE again. I think my problem with the sequels was that they aren't DUNE. :) DUNE is one of those books I reread every few years, and I still remember the impact of the first time I read it. The world he creates is so huge, so old, and so filled with eerie detail. . . .
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I read the trilogy as one; I received all three in one hardback volume as a birthday present so to me it was one long chronicle. Enjoyed them very much indeed! And yes, that universe is so complete, so deep, so old, so vast. An inspired creation, and there are so few of those.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks, Imp. Just as I suspected.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

Alatar wrote:I'm not sure that I'd recommend Earthsea for an eight year old. The language and concepts are quite adult. Looking back, I suppose the obvious "beginners" books for Fantasy are "The Hobbit" and "Chronicles of Narnia".
I would also recommend Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles. They are kind of recombinant Celtic mythology, but very well done and definitely designed for a younger reader. The titles are:

The Book of Three
The Black Cauldron
The Castle of Llyr
Taran Wanderer
The High King

I read them to my son when he was 7 or 8 and he loved them. I enjoyed them as well, which was by no means true of all the books he enjoyed. Lloyd Alexander wrote another fantasy book that my son loved too: The Amazing Journey of Prince Jen. In fact that's one of the few books I read to him in childhood that he has reread as an adult.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Thank you Ethel; printing out this list too. :)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Imp:

I used to adore those Gamebooks. I played most of the "Fighting Fantasy" series by Steve Jackson and also the "Lone Wolf" series. I even have 3 Tolkien based ones, which are probably extremely rare as they were recalled soon after publication due to licensing issues. Apparently ICE had the "gaming" license but Tolkien Enterprises classed them as books, so they were pulled from the shelves. They were called "Treason at Helms Deep", "A Spy at Isengard" and "The Mines of Moria". They were fun, but nothing special. More interesting as a curiosity than anything else!

Ethel:

Ah yes, I forgot about those! Make sure he doesn't pick up the dreadful Disney version of Black Cauldron though...

Voronwë:

I also loved the original Dune Trilogy. I think that the recent SciFi Miniseries did a very good job of adapting and compressing Dune Messiah and Children of Dune into one compelling narrative. The first Miniseries was good also, but the CG effects were not really very good. That said, the increased prominence of Irulan was a nice idea and the adaptation was pretty good.

Thank God they didn't attempt to make "God Emperor".
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Hasn't anybody mentioned a couple of classics that you absolutely should read: War of the Worlds and The Time Machine by H.G. Wells? :shock:
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I must've read War of the Worlds sixteen times before I was 11. I still remember the hot pink cover of the copy in our school library. I have no idea how I forgot that one. I must have been about 8 the first time I read it. It still scares me.

The Time Machine I didn't find until I was an adult—it wasn't in the school library. But I read the "Classic Comics" version. :blackeye:
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

My first introduction to War of the Worlds was Jeff Wayne. Now that I'm older and wiser I know that most of it is sad early techno, but I can't help but love it :)

Besides Richard Burtons monologue in "Forever Autumn" is still wonderful.

Never before in the history of the world had such a mass of human beings moved and suffered together.
This was no disciplined march - it was a stampede - without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong.
It was the beginning of the rout of civilization, of the massacre of mankind.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

We have that, too, Alatar!

I don't know why it gets bashed so much. I think it's evocative and fun to listen to. But then, what do I know about rock? At least post-1975. :P
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I find listening to it now that there is a very strong disco beat in "Eve of the War" which dates it quite badly. I'd be interested to see if a re-orchestration would improve it or rather destroy its charm.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Did I hear that someone was preparing a stage version? :scratch: I'm almost sure I did, back around the time the new WoW movie came out. It wasn't going to be a fully staged musical, just oratorio style, if one can apply that term to rock.

On the other hand, I may well have been deluded.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

No, I remember hearing something similar. There's a performance in Dublin this year, but I don't know if it's staged in any way.

There's also an animated film being made which will simply put the Album on screen. I hope they have the rights to use Burton and Lynotts voices.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I saw an unstaged performance of JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR when I was 12 or 13, and it was very powerful. This could work.

As for the animated film, do you mean they're just illustrating the recorded album? I've never heard of that being done before. It seems like asking for problems! It's much easier to tweak the score than to tweak animated visuals, as far as I know. . . .