Your 5 favourite books

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
vison
Best friends forever

Your 5 favourite books

Post by vison »

I know it's been done before, but let's do it again, okay? Just for me? Please?

I will not put LOTR on my list. I regard it as a "given", a "freebie".

My 5 are NOT in order of wonderfulness, they are all equally fabulous and readable.

1. Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder.
2. The Horse Knows the Way by John O'Hara.
3. The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury.
4. The Barsetshire Chronicles by Anthony Trollope.
5. Nana by Emile Zola.

This list tends to change from moment to moment, but here it is for today.
Dig deeper.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Okay Vison - my top five non- JRRT books

1- Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
2- Generations - Strauss & Howe
3- Panati's Extraordinary Origins of Everyday Things
4- Shogun - James Clavell
5- The Age of Roosevelt - 3 volumes - Arthur Schlesinger, Jr.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

My top five...hmm....let's see

1. The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco
2. The Eight - Katherine Neville
3. Beauty - Sheri S.Tepper
4. Lorna Doone - R. D. Blackmore
5. Mordant's Need - Stephen Donaldson
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

3. The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury.
That's one of my favorites too!! :love: :love:
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

five? Why five?

I like way more books than five. I don't have just five favorites (including LoTR). I could almost do this by age.

As a kid
1. Alice in Wonderland
2. The Little Prince
3. Prince Caspian
4. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
5. Black Beauty.

All of which I was trying to read before I even went to school. Alice was read to me by my grandmother and I was so entranced by the book that I forced myself to learn to read. I loved the tea party, had to re-read it multiple times and luaghed every time. I must have been around 4 or 5, but I distinctly remember it.

As a teenager...

1. Steppenwolf
2. Red Badge of Courage
3. Don Quixote
4. Thousand and One Nights
5. The Illiad and Odyssey.

As an Adult

The list is too long.

The Kid list also includes The Hobbit. The teenager includes LoTR. I tried reading LoTR too young and was totally confused so at about 11 or 12 I read them again.

Now I read and take my time and digest the books and heaven forbid the books reference something else because sometimes I get too involved in looking up the references.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I know how long my list would be. Still, if I was going to be stranded on a desert island (or a dessert island, for that matter :D ), I might just take just the books on my list.
Dig deeper.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

If I was on a desert island, I'd take some bad books too, fire starter and all that.

If I was on a dessert island, I'd take a spoon.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

In England we have a long-running radio show called "Desert Island Discs", where the celebrity interviewee has to chose 8 discs to take with him to said island, out of which one is nominated as the ultimate choice. He/She also gets to choose ONE book, as well as the Bible and the complete works of Shakespeare, and one luxury item.

:tumbleweed:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

ONE book? :scarey: Even with the Shakespeare, that's far from enough.

I've always wanted to try to claim that Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin books are really a single unfinished novel in 20 substantial volumes. . . .
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

The list (today's version only):

David Copperfield
Emma
Alice Through the Looking-Glass
Ozma of Oz
Finn Family Moomintroll (Tove Jansson)

Tomorrow I think David Copperfield will still be there, but all the others may have shifted.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

He's on my list, too. Who could be lonely on a desert island with that cast of characters for company?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Can the luxury item be another book? :whistle:
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

A fully loaded ebook player. . . . :twisted:
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

People.

You guyz are such cheaters!!!

I have this nightmare that I'll be stranded with my books and no reading glasses.

THAT is horror. :shock:
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Oh, yeah. :shock:

This is why I own about ten pairs (the el cheapo kind). I can always find a pair within a couple of minutes.

On a desert island I'd want to be sure to have the pair that are sunglasses with reading lenses built in.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Wasn't that a Twilight Zone episode?
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Yes!! The guy who was in his nifty bomb shelter, all happy and fixed up, thinking he was Mr. Smartguy and then - broke his glasses. Served him right.

I have many pairs, but I there are times when I can't find any. I have actually, and I blush :oops: to admit it, have actually had them on my head and have been running around the house shouting at myself about where my bloody glasses are. Chris and the boys laff. Brutes.
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I tried for a while hanging them around my neck on one of those chains but (a) the kids laughed at me. Hard. and (b) having them in the way when I don't need them was not much better than not having them when I do need them. So I bought a couple of three-packs at Costco and was good to go.

I do like the combination of contacts and reading glasses much better than bifocals. Bifocal designers assume everyone reads by peering down their noses at the page—or worse, the screen. When my contacts are out and I'm in my bifocals I at last understand the tilted-up-nose, arched-eyebrows pose so many Ladies of a Certain Age affected when I was a kid. They weren't trying to look like Joan Crawford (my early theory), they were just trying to read something.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

The other five which are not LotR:

1) Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier
2) Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh
3) Possession by A.S. Byatt
4) Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks
5) Shadows and Strongholds by Elizabeth Chadwick

Numbers 4 and 5 are movable feasts. 8)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I expanded on this theme on Facebook. :D