500 years of women in portraiture

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

500 years of women in portraiture

Post by Impenitent »

Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

That is pretty neat. It is interesting to see how women and art have evolved through the years. It was very well done.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

That was lovely, Impy. Thanks for sharing. :)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Absolutely beautiful, and for some reason it made me tear up.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

It was absolutely lovely. But, Holbytla, I disagree with you: they could almost all have been the same girl! Just beautiful.
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

What got to me (I think) was the occasional really expressive ones, the ones with a look that said there was more to them than met the eye. You think about all the centuries when that was how even beautiful and aristocratic women said what they really thought: through their eyes. At least around men.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Yes, I felt a tear or two in me eyes, too. So young, so lovely, and so long dead.
Dig deeper.
samaranth

Post by samaranth »

It's almost hypnotic. It does all revolve around the eyes, and each of them expresses so much: hope, shyness, confidence, sadness, innocence, happiness, sensuality, propriety. The whole gamut of young life (especially the hope part). Looking out at us even when they are long since gone.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

They look so much alike, all through the ages. Even the modern ones. So are they really gone?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I almost said "they're our moms," except my moms were Scandinavian farm wives, and nobody ever painted them, even if they could have afforded to sit still that long.

But I do wonder what some of those privileged and possibly quite accomplished women would make of their opportunities today.
Siberian

Post by Siberian »

Why no old ladies? Or not so pretty ones?
I'd say it's discrimination :D
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I really wouldn't call Picasso's and such pretty. :P

( :wave: btw :))
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Siberian

Post by Siberian »

But they're still young
I definitely remember seeing some portraits middle-aged and older ladies in the European galleries.
BrianIsSmilingAtYou

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

Siberian wrote:But they're still young
I definitely remember seeing some portraits middle-aged and older ladies in the European galleries.
4/4/2009 - In Silence at Her Portrait

BrianIs :) AtYou

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That was very neat!

I was left thinking how beautiful women really can be.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

The first half was definitely the Western European standard for beauty (young, healthy, well-proportioned, pale skin, no acne), but if you stop to look at some of the individuals, you can see that fashions change (plucked eyebrows, plucked eyelashes (!), rouged cheeks, hairstyle, tendency to smile, and of course, clothing). Those individuals if looked at alone might not fit today's idea of "beautiful", but together they do flow as the many moods of one woman.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus