Tony Hillerman

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Tony Hillerman

Post by narya »

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference ... ne=nyt-per

:bawling: Tony Hillerman has died. No more facinating mysteries about the Navaho Tribal Police.

Have any of you read his books? Care to share how you feel about them? I read "Thief of Time" first, and it was always my favorite. According to the article linked above, it was his favorite as well. If you haven't read any of his books, I can strongly recommend that one. It is not just a murder mystery, but an insider's and outsider's view of death in our culture and a very powerful and thoughtful book.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

That's really sad news. :( I read many of his books. The humanity of his detectives and the way the drew on their ancient tradition while dealing with the modern world made the stories resonate beyond the mere plot..
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Oh, no! I'm sad to hear this news! I thought of him as a solidly middle-aged person, no older than that. And there was a period some years ago when I read his books with great delight.....
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I heard an interview with him today on Fresh Air that Terry Gross did some time ago. Interesting guy. I'm sorry he has passed on, but it sounds like he had a full life. I'll probably try to pick up some of his books, which I have not read but which I think I would enjoy.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Love his books, and so does my husband. Also love the TV adaptations, starring Wes Studie and the other guy. Very well done.
Dig deeper.