Mark Lawrence Art

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Mark Lawrence Art

Post by Lalaith »

(If there is an existing thread where this would fit better, please let me know, and I'll put it there instead. I didn't see one.)

In doing an internet meme last night, I discovered an artist I really like!

(You can see the meme here: Lali's Blog.)

The artist is a Christian abstract artist, and I have just enjoyed looking at his pictures this morning (and last night).

http://www.versevisions.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marketseq/2503204457/

(One of my favorites, posted on flickr.)

Anyway, I thought some of you might appreciate viewing his artwork. :) My daughter and I have enjoyed it. Sarah could tell easier than I could what the painting was probably about. I figured she would be able to. She's even better than I am at picking out the abstract and making it concrete. (She's always noticed the "faces" in things, like shower curtains and designs. Even when she was a toddler.)

(Does anyone else do that? I know I do, and Sarah is even more likely to do so.)

Lali

Edit to fix coding issues! My mind is thinking html instead of BBCode.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks, Lali! I like his work. And I'm not usually a big fan of abstract art.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Oh wow. Wow wow wow. I absolutely love it. Like, seriously, I'm blown away - they feel like a vibrant blend of the sensibilities of three of my favorite artists: Van Gogh, Klimt, and Kandinsky.

A couple stands outs for me amongst a lot of great stuff:

Man, I seriously love it. Thank you Lali! :love:

On a separate note, and maybe something that could generate a little discussion (I'd love to hear Whistler's thoughts in particular) - I can find no rational basis for it and I can't really explain what it is that makes me feel this way, but I always find myself a little disappointed when I see art like that and then find out...it's digital. :neutral: And somehow that makes me love it a little less. That's not fair and I don't understand why I react like that. I mean, beautiful is beautiful, right? Why should it matter if it was made with paint or with pixels as long as it looks great, right? But I can't shake that feeling and I gotta say, I love this man's art but boy! if they were only "real" painting how much greater they would be!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'd also love to hear Whistler's thoughts. Those images are gorgeous, and my instinct is to say that it shouldn't matter how they were made; they're still a product of the artist's imagination and skill.

And yet when I've seen great paintings in person there's a whole layer of pleasure on top of the marvelous familiar image; standing four feet away and seeing Rembrandt's brushwork makes the painting seem like a living thing for the first time, something created in a process that I don't understand but can marvel at.

And yet, digital art calls for a whole other range of skills while still demanding the same imagination and the same "artist's eye."
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:love: I'm glad you guys enjoyed it! I feel about it like yovi does.

And I have mixed feelings regarding it being digital, too. I think the artwork is fantastic. But I also think that almost anyone* could create something similar; that somehow makes it less special.

But, otoh, it inspires me, making me wonder just how much more I could do with PhotoShop. Then I wonder if this is just the trend of the future, and does it really make it any less special if it's created digitally or not?

I know, from creating art on PS (or the computer), that it still is an artistic outlet. It still requires skill; the neat thing is that you can accomplish things on the computer that you wouldn't be able to otherwise.

Hmmm, anyway, I don't know.

Some favorites of mine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marketseq/2599773872/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marketseq/2503204457/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marketseq/2518056291/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marketseq/2378300597/

(It wouldn't let me copy the pics to show here, which I can understand. I also have more but will stop. :D)

Lali

*See correction a couple of posts down. :)
Last edited by Lalaith on Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

I also think that almost anyone could create something similar
I can't agree with this, Lali. Good art requires a certain inspiration, no matter how it is created.

I too would really love to hear Whistler's thoughts about this.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I guess I should say that it opens up the possibility to more people, not that almost anyone could do it.

(My sweeping generalizations get me in trouble all the time, er, I mean quite a bit of the time, or, even, really, just sometimes.)

;)

Lali
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I can't agree, either. My son does digital art, so I'm familiar with some of the tools it gives him. Using those tools, I could create a realistic landscape much more easily than I could with traditional tools. But there's a difference between a realistic image and art.

And it's more complicated than it looks, with the professional-level tools. My son had to spend a fair amount of time reading up on optics to understand how to make different kinds of surfaces reflect and (partly) absorb and (partly) transmit light in the way real surfaces do. Getting from the image in his mind to an image that looks real is a different process than a painter follows, but it's every bit as complicated in its way.

Edit: You're right that it opens the process to more people. As I've said elsewhere, my son's got a disability that keeps him from being able to finely control a pen, pencil, or brush, so traditional media are impossible for him. Digital art freed his visual imagination. I don't know if he would ever have discovered that he's good at film if he hadn't first discovered that he could make things he imagined into real images. He's starting film school; maybe he would never have gotten there without digital art.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I don't think it's a bad thing that it opens up the possibility of creating art to more people! In fact, from a very selfish point of view, I am thrilled by that! I can do things I wouldn't be able to do otherwise, and, yes, it is quite complicated. (I don't even have any professional tools--just CS2.)

I have a tendency to think that if I can do something, almost anyone can do something--hence, my sweeping generalization that is now corrected. ;)

I don't know how art critics think about digital art. Does it require the same skills as non-digital media? (I think there's at least some cross-over, as Voronwë pointed out.) Does it deserve its own respect based on the different set of skills it requires?

As I look at this man's artwork, I'm still left going, "Wow! I LOVE that!" I want it on my walls, so that I can look at it whenever I want. I tried to explain to Freddy last night that it was like a happy drug for my eyes and my mind.

ETA: To expand on the thought in the first paragraph a bit more (I'm posting before fully thinking this morning :( ): I can't stress enough how grateful I am to digital media for allowing me to have an outlet for my creativity. When I create something in CS2, I feel the same as I do when I am creating something non-digitally. It's an artistic process; it's a creative moment. Photoshop has allowed me to accomplish things I don't have the skills to accomplish elsewhere. IOW, I can actually (sometimes) get the image in my head onto "paper."

I guess my own personal issues come into play here when I say that I don't really think of myself as an artist, though (the same way I have a hard time calling myself a musician). I am not a "real" artist. I can't pick up a brush and paint a masterpiece. Heck, I couldn't even paint a mediocre painting! I can't take a lump of clay and make a dazzling sculpture. (I can, however, make a reasonably good ash tray, if people still used such things.)

My heart feels like an artist, but, until I discovered what I could do digitally, my hands never did and my creations never did reinforce that feeling. Now they do, but I don't know whether it actually "counts," if that makes sense. :neutral:

Lali
Alys

Post by Alys »

I really, really like these, thanks for posting them Lalaith. :D

I've been looking at them for ages now but couldn't begin to pick a favourite, though I think the 'Klimty' ones may just have an edge...
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

It's particularly weird for me because I'll argue strongly that technical skill should be a minor consideration when judging and appreciating art. For example, I remember stating in some thread around here that while Van Gogh's paintings are certainly easier to paint than something like a Vermeer (from a purely technical standpoint), that doesn't automatically make Van Gogh the lesser artist (he's actually my favorite artist though Vermeer is wonderful too :)). So whatever it is that makes me appreciate digital art less, it's not that it seems "easier". It's something else I can't put my finger on. It's just less...I don't know...it's just less something!
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

The serious commercial tools for digital artists are not all aimed at creating art as such. My son's program, for example, comes with a number of different types of botanically accurate trees you can drop into your work. That would raise my eyebrows a bit if the purpose of the work was to show people what the artist saw (in imagination, in life) and what he felt about it: a prefab tree is someone else's vision plunked down in the middle of that. (And they look prefab; it takes a lot of time and trouble to keep the human eye from spotting a repeated pattern.)

But a lot of digital art is commercial—advertisements, architectural renderings, even matte paintings for movies and television. There what matters is a reasonable degree of realism and an efficient production schedule, so prefab trees make sense.
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Thanks for the links Lali. This one is my favourite:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marketseq/2751402198/

I'd love to buy a print of it but I'm sure it would cost loads to have it delivered to the UK. :(
Last edited by Erunáme on Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Well, ten minutes ago the power we lost in Hurricane Gustav (on Monday, mind you) returned…and what did I do, first thing? Take a hot shower? Catch up on my soap operas?

No! I came here, in keeping with my contractual obligations. And immediately I found a thread devoted to…abstract Christian art! Well, I have plenty of thoughts on that topic.

To begin with, I don’t believe (and I don’t think this artist does, either) in Christian art as some well-intentioned oddity existing in its own universe. I feel the same about Christian music, Christian books, Christian aerobics and Christian what-have-you. A thing does not become Christian through the tacked-on addition of a dove or cross; nor is a thing non-Christian because it lacks the usual attendant Christian graffiti. Only people can be Christians, and if they are Christians then everything they produce ought to reflect that fact in some manner, whether overtly or not. Martin Luther said that the cobbler praises God when he makes a really good pair of shoes. I think so, too––and a bad pair of shoes is of no more use to God than to man. If Christian art works only in Christianland, it’s worthless.

So I was very pleased to find this art mercifully free of the usual trite, sugary claptrap that so many Christian artists seem bound and determined to inject into their work, hoping to “sell” it to the clueless and tasteless masses. This fellow wants first to create strong images that mean something to him personally, and I think that from a graphic standpoint he has created some pretty strong pieces. I won’t go into detail (not yet, anyway) but I must admire his fine sense of color and design.

As regards his message, I have mixed feelings. I don’t think it should be necessary (as I think it is, with these paintings) to explain a painting’s meaning to the viewer. A little hint is fine, but…well, would you have a clue what any of these pieces means, without reading their titles and commentary? If the artist wants to preach (and I admire him if he does) I would suggest that he steer slightly away from pure abstractionism and retain some link, however subtle, with concrete reality.

I don’t think there are any inherently evil styles of art, but there are styles more suitable than others for conveying certain types of messages. I have heard of Christian heavy metal bands, and while I won’t condemn them I cannot help but wonder whether, in choosing an art form created for the purpose of expressing raw sexuality and rebellion, they have made their goal of evangelism unnecessary difficult.

That’s an extreme example, of course, but it is also true that pure abstractionism has its roots in the nihilism and anti-deism of many late 19th- and early 20th-Century philosophies. Again, it isn’t anti-Christian in itself; but it originated largely among the irreligious, and for their purposes. So the Christian artist who adapts it must be pretty sure of his intentions, and must be the absolute master of his craft, or he’ll be forever weighed down by the baggage that the style carries with it.

Oh, but I am thinking too much. I love the paintings, and if the artist is not entirely successful in his ultimate goals…well, how many artists (or cobblers) ever are? I find the pictures very inspiring and refreshing.

I dabble in abstractionism myself, though it is by no means my usual style. I have created two semi-abstracts with Christian themes, and I will post them here because they do contain at least a hint of physical reality. The first is called The Cross Triumphant and the Multitude of Heavenly Hosts. It’s really just a graphic design, not a picture in the usual sense. The cross is composed of pure light, and the flickering shapes in the background are meant to suggest thousands of beings (probably angelic) engaged in rapturous worship. Of course there is a strong hint of medieval stained glass here, as well:

The second piece surprised me, as I had no idea what I was painting until I had painted it:

It’s called Pillar Of Salt. It depicts the fiery destruction of Sodom (you can see the toppling towers and streaks of flame and ash) and the route that God has provided for the exit of Lot and his family into the cool and comforting blue landscape. When I realized what I had painted, I added the (very) tiny figure of Lot’s wife, now transformed into a pillar of salt, on the top of the hill. If you look closely, you’ll see her.

All right, that’ll do for now. I think that hot shower is calling.
Voronwë the Faithful

Thank you, Whistler, for that wonderful post, and the even more wonderful artwork. I really love those, both of them.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Oh, Whistler . . . how glorious. The Cross Triumphant especially. And as a stained glass window . . . words fail me. Walking into a church and seeing that would reduce me to tears.

. . . And I am so grateful that you can have that hot shower—I mean, that you have power again.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

The Cross Triumphant brought tears to my eyes now; I couldn't imagine it in a church as a stained glass window. It would be glorious!

Both are gorgeous, and thank you for your post. I feel like doing this: :bow:

Lali
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Man I love Whistler posts.
-The Decemberists

Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Here's another painting, designed to suggest night life and fun in New Orleans and featuring an abstracted form of the city's symbol, the fleur de lis.

The image was created on my desktop and then transferred via the giclee process onto a stretched canvas, exactly like a traditional painting. It was a gift to the lady who poses with it.

One advantage of working digitally is that size is irrelevant. On my screen, the picture is the size of a sheet of plain paper. On canvas, it's six feet long. To physically paint the image in that size would have been prohibitively time consuming and expensive; digitally, it's just a matter of doodling.

You will now find giclees in virtually every major gallery. Even artists who work in traditional media are offering giclees for art lovers who want a "real" painting, but cannot hope to afford one. Usually the artist adds a physical brush stroke or two, then signs his name. The result is then regarded as a genuine and unique painting.
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Lawrence's art may be inspired by his faith, but the abstract style makes the message so subtle that anyone can enjoy his paintings as works of art. Actually, it's just the same as with Tolkien's books. :thumbsup:

And, Whistler's first painting would make a great altarpiece in some modern church. :)
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu