Mark Lawrence Art

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Whistler, that is one lucky lady!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Whistler, do you have an opinion on the question regarding digital vs traditional art?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Whister, The Cross Triumphant is breathtaking. It is the sort of painting I could look at for hours and be drawn deeper and deeper into the mystery it touches. Do you sell prints of it? I can think of a couple of people I might want to give it to, in addition to purchasing it myself.

(And I'm glad your power has returned.)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Wampus: the picture is sized 40” x 48”, but it can be enlarged to as much as (roughly) nine by twelve feet without losing detail. And of course it can be reduced to any size, though it ought to be kept as large as possible for proper effect: it must absolutely dominate its environment.

If you want a large digital copy, I will send you one on CD if you send me your home address. If you really want one stretched on canvas, I will check on the price and have it printed, stretched and mailed to you.

I am now selling art to an online service, and I have submitted this one for review. If they decide to sell it, it will be available (and affordable) to anyone who wants it, albeit in a small size.

•••••

As to the question of digital versus traditional art…well, of course there is much about traditional art that we all love, and that we are always sorry to see taken away. Artists trained in traditional media (as I am) respond emotionally to the textures and smells of real paint and paper and canvas. There’s an almost Pavlovian response to it. Digital art lacks this dimension; all it offers is line, value and color.

Well, I think that would have been enough for most of the great masters. The impressionists sought to simulate the effects of pure light; with a computer they could actually have painted with it. And don’t you think Van Gogh would have given up his other ear for the miraculous experience of painting his sunflowers with yellow from God’s own palette, instead of with a glob of oil and chemicals?

You gain something, you lose something. That’s the way of the world. Your family bible is a pale shadow of a hand-lettered, hand-drawn, gold-tipped medieval tome; but in surrendering those features to the mechanical printing press the average individual gained private ownership of a book previously accessible only to a handful of priests and noblemen.

In the same way a digital picture, because it doesn’t exist in the literal sense, can be made to exist for the whole world. Joe Average can now collect the world’s greatest digital art. I don’t think we have yet begun to realize how extraordinary this fact is.

As to the value of the digital image as opposed to the “real” image…I don’t think there is much difference. If you don’t have a firm sense of color and design you will not produce a good digital painting any more than you will produce a good painting in oils. For me, the advantages are purely practical. A digital painting (once you have your computer and programs) can be created for free; an infinite number of changes can be made without damaging the image; size is irrelevant, so it is no more difficult to produce a large mural than a desktop image; and the “busy work” of waiting for paint to dry, etc. is eliminated.

I can come home after a ten-hour workday and complete a six-foot painting in two or three hours––a painting which, in traditional media, would have made a horrid mess in my studio and occupied a month of full-time labor. Would it really be sensible to reject digital methods out of some misguided devotion to artistic integrity––whatever that means?

Well, I am quite busy with hurricane cleanup and have simply jotted a few notes together. Later I will try to clarify, if necessary.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I wonder if in time it will seem as silly to deplore computers for making painting "easier" as it would be to deplore them for making writing "easier." Certainly Dickens and Austen scratching away with quill pens had a more "organic" experience of writing, but I wouldn't try to claim that their works were better because of that one factor.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts.

Whistler, :bow: Will you please let us know when that print is available online?

Lali
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes, please do!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Well, I don't know if they will like it or not. The only pieces I have online at the moment are cartoon illustrations, and I don't know whether they will think this is a good direction for me to follow.

But if they take it, I'll let you know.
Voronwë the Faithful

They would be fools not to like it. But foolishness has been known to happen.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

More often than not.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Primula Baggins wrote:I wonder if in time it will seem as silly to deplore computers for making painting "easier" as it would be to deplore them for making writing "easier." Certainly Dickens and Austen scratching away with quill pens had a more "organic" experience of writing, but I wouldn't try to claim that their works were better because of that one factor.
There are still people who swear that any ms. that doesn't start as pen/pencil on paper is morally deficient. I tell them to get back to me when their mud and straw bricks have dried.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I can't disagree with any of that or argue against it yet somehow I can't change my feeling that works like this fellow's are less appealing to me cuz they're digital. My loss, I suppose.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I feel the same way, yov. It's part of our nature to want things to be "real." That's why so many people, in these days of perfect cinematic CGI, still prefer to see miniature models and people in costumes. Ask around, and you'll find that most people liked Yoda better as a Muppet.

That thinking will probably change, over time. But it may be many years.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Well, what do you know?

The Cross Triumphant has been turned down as having no artistic merit and no likelihood of attracting sales.

Meanwhile, images like this are being approved:

Ah, the gentle ironies of life!
Voronwë the Faithful

We need a "head-shaking in disbelief" icon. I'm sorry Whistler; that is just so wrong.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Unbelievable. :(
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

:scratch: What is that photo being approved for, concrete sales ads?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Whistler

Post by Whistler »

The objection appears to be that the image has compositional problems (just what we need, an asymmetrical cross) and lacks "impact."

It must be fun to be an art expert!
Voronwë the Faithful

Lacks impact? LACKS INPACT? LACKS IMPACT?

Sorry to shout, but that's just wrong. Forgive my cynicism, but I suspect that what they are really saying is "too Christian."
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Bingo.

I was waiting for a non-Christian to make that observation.