Whistler? Yes, and He's Brought His Cat!

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Whistler

Whistler? Yes, and He's Brought His Cat!

Post by Whistler »

Some of you may remember me. I used to post here, but I forgot to bookmark the url and have spent the past year searching for it.

Anyway, I have been encouraged by Voronwë to post the following. As I am incapable of knowingly displeasing him, I have agreed to do so after no more than a few minor threats. And I don’t think he’d really drive by my house and throw a rock at the porch light, but there’s no point in taking such a risk.

Ladies and gentlemen! I direct your attention to my latest art acquisition…

Sir John Tenniel’s engraving of Alice and the Cheshire Cat, from Alice’s Adventures In Wonderland!

This image was printed from the original 1865 woodblock, which was never used in Carroll’s day. It is from the only edition of Alice illustrations ever made available for private collection, and it is the only version that is completely faithful to Tenniel’s intentions.

Here’s the story: Tenniel drew the original illustrations in traditional media, afterward using tracing paper to transfer each to a boxwood engraving block. These were then engraved (an unimaginably labor-intensive process) by the famous Dalziel brothers, whose name appears in each image along with Tenniel’s monogram. Bear in mind that the white spaces, not the black lines, had to be cut from the block: ah, there were craftsmen in those days!

When the complicated process was finally complete, the Dalziel brothers advised Lewis Carroll not to use the original blocks for printing the book: they explained that the wear and tear of printing would damage the images, ultimately ruining the fine work of one of England’s most acclaimed cartoonists.

Carroll saw the wisdom in this advice. Indifferent to the expense, he ordered the creation of copper electrotype copies of the blocks, and it was with these copies that the first edition of Alice was printed.

Tenniel hated the results: the second-generation images did not do justice to his work, and he requested that the whole edition (consisting of 2,000 copies, paid for by Carroll) be destroyed. There is some disagreement over the extent to which this was actually done: I have read from some sources that the inferior books were instead shipped to America for the “unsophisticated” readers there!

At any rate, another edition (strictly for the discriminating British) was ordered, and this time the printer had greater success. Carroll and Tenniel approved the new edition, though certain details of Tenniel’s designs were still indistinct.

Here again is the “real” Cheshire Cat, as printed from the original wooden block:

And here’s another version, printed from the duplicate copper plate--or perhaps from a copy of the copy. See how much detail has been blurred in the cat’s face, and notice the comparative harshness of the lighting. The darks are too dark, and the lightest areas (examine the tree trunk) drop out entirely. This is the sort of image that might appear in a typical modern edition.

Look at another example from elsewhere in the book. Here’s the “real” version of art from the Pool of Tears chapter, featuring a wide range of subtle grays and rich detail:

And here’s a second- or third-generation version. The softness of the original is lost entirely, and the effect is harsh and grainy.

The pictures in your personal copy may look better or worse than these “bad” examples. At any rate, you can see that the richness and depth of the images has varied considerably since the days of Tenniel and Carroll; and since both text and art are now in the public domain, the book has been subjected to every imaginable printing abuse.

Back to the history lesson:

The original, unused woodblocks were packed in a box and placed in a bank vault belonging to Macmillan Publishers. There they remained until everyone forgot where they were, and eventually it was assumed that they were lost. It was 120 years before somebody finally noticed them and decided that prints should be made from these blocks for the first, and last, time.

Extensive tests were conducted to determine which inks and papers most closely resembled those used for Victorian engravings. In the case of the paper, a new variety was created to exactly match that used for the book’s first edition. Small editions of each illustration (including those from Through the Looking-Glass) were printed then by hand. This process occupied three years.

The blocks were then returned to their vault. They will be displayed in museums from time to time, but they will never be used again. Future editions of the Alice books will feature digital reproductions of these original images; all existing editions of the books are now obsolete, as far as the pictures go.

A few personal notes:

I cannot tell you how important the Alice books have been to me throughout my life. I had them mostly memorized by early grade school, and passages from them are still burned into my memory more clearly than my home address. It was from these books that I really learned the power of the English language. They influenced me a bit too much: they made me a “British” writer for most of my school days, and when I recognized my strange proclivity I had to force myself to avoid the Victorian flourishes (often appearing in my school reports and homework!) with which I had become so comfortable. I am still a fish-out-of-water Victorian in my mind; and every day I wish I could pull my old top hat off the shelf and wear it (let’s say) to the grocery store.

As for the astonishing, absolutely essential Tenniel art… how can I overstate its importance to me, as an aspiring illustrator? I labored for years to master that intricate crosshatching style. I later developed a far less intricate, modern style that has worked well enough for me; but when I look at Tenniel’s pictures I am reminded of my fathomless mediocrity. (Fortunately I have a streak of artistic masochism that makes this experience weirdly exhilarating.) Tenniel gave indelible, living faces to characters who faithfully remained with me as real-life friends came and went. Today I would gladly be rid of any and all politicians and pop stars; but a world without Tenniel’s Mad Hatter, Cheshire Cat, Mock Turtle and Jabberwock is to me unthinkable.

There are two ladies at work who are waiting to see the engraving. Each has a little girl of almost Alice’s age when Wonderland was written. When I take the engraving to the office, I will surprise each lady with an un-birthday present for her daughter: a very fine hardbound edition of the Alice books, which neither child has read. Each book will be delivered with a custom-made, red-tasseled Alice bookmark featuring an Alice postage stamp from England, a quote from the book and a golden teacup charm. I have a special Lewis Carroll font, based on his actual handwriting; and I have written their un-birthday cards in that font. The letters are purple: Carroll liked to write in purple ink.

Oh, and there are tea biscuits, too! They might enjoy a tea party, mad or otherwise.

Why do I do all this? Because Lewis Carroll would have done it, and I have an absurd wish to think that I would please him.

And perhaps to say thank you, Reverend Dodgson.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Whistler, I am resolved to find a new edition of Alice with the proper illustrations as soon as it can be done. I realize from this demonstration that I have never actually seen Tenniel's work at all. Not as he meant it to be seen, which is the essential point.

Thank you for that fascinating disquisition.

As for your fortunate young friends . . . they may not yet have the discrimination to do this, so I shall

<sw00n for Whistler>

in their place.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Congratulations, Whistler! I remember well those wonderful drawings.

What a lovely idea, to present the books to the girls with those perfect little extras. They will be something to treasure!

Did anyone else have the LP recording by Cyril Richard? It came in a massive case with that very image on the front. I can't remember how many records there were. As I recall, he did the Queen of Hearts particularly well.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
BrianIsSmilingAtYou

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

Great stuff, Whistler!

I love the style of art, and it is a shame to see it abused--and wonderful to see it returned to its full glory!

BrianIs :) AtYou

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

:love:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

What a fabulous acquisition, Whis! Congratulations! :love:
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Wow, Whistler, that is so extraordinary that I am having trouble finding words to express it (and we all know how rare that is). Those illustrations really are extraordinary, and the difference between the prints from the original blocks and the later generations versions is immense. It is particularly evident in the illustration from the pool that you post.

I am not at all surprised to learn that Carroll's works have such an influence on you. That just seems ... right.

As does your generous gift to those two young girls. The cream always rises to the top.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Whistler wrote:. . . . .when I look at Tenniel’s pictures I am reminded of my fathomless mediocrity. (Fortunately I have a streak of artistic masochism that makes this experience weirdly exhilarating.)
"fathomless mediocrity"? Yeah, sure, you betcha!!! You know me, I don't know nuthin' about art, but I know what I like. And what I like better than picshurs is words and what I like about words is guyz like you who could write such sentences. Staggeringly untrue in many ways, but kewl to read.

Missed you, dear Whistler. :hug: And how lovely that you got such a treasure for yourself.

The weird thing is, I was thinking about you a lot lately and that's a true fact. I was scrolling through old threads and there you were. . . . and here you are. Now, are you here because I was thinking about you or was I thinking about you because you were on your way?

An unfathomable mystery. ;)
Dig deeper.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I've been thinking about you, too, vison. And about a lot of other favorite posters, as well.

I had to share this art with everybody because it's important from a literary standpoint as well as an artistic one; and one thing we all agree on is that we love books.

Do you realize that Alice was perhaps the first children's book, as we understand the concept? Of course there were plenty of books designed to teach children religion, manners, history and so forth. But all of these represented adults attempting to convey (or inflict) their interests and values to children who had no reading alternatives.

Alice was meant to be fun, and only that. A truly revolutionary concept, at the time.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I have a terrible confession to make. Are you sitting down?

Whistler, I have never read Alice In Wonderland. Shocking, I know, but true.

I hardly ever read any children's books and that explains no Narnia, no Alice. Lotsa Tarzan and Zane Grey, though, handed down by my Dad and his brother Clem. Plenty of old history textbooks, sad but true, since our school "library" had little else.

I'm glad you got your picture, things like that deserve to belong to those who deserve them and who value them for what they are, not just as "collector's items".

And stop leaving your top hat on the tea table, sir. There is a spot dedicated to that hat on top of the coat rack in the hall. Have your man attend to it, please.
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Whistler's turned his man off for debauchery, I believe. Or perhaps it was unpunctuality—I do confuse the two at times.

vison, though the Alice books were written for a child, there's nothing twee about them. They aren't written "down" in the Narnia sense (and I love Narnia, but I hear that tone, too). An adult can revel in them. I didn't read them until I was an adult—the Disney movie made the story seem too boring to bother with, for some reason. But they're wonderful, and well worth your time.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Vison, you might enjoy hearing a good reader (Sir John Gielgud comes to mind) performing the books, if you don't care to read them.

Do you know that Alice is the third most-quoted book in the English-speaking world? The first is the Bible; the second is Shakespeare.

Then Alice. That's absolutely amazing, given the fact that it originated with a stuffy mathematician casually making the whole thing up (reluctantly, for he was quite tired) to amuse a single little girl.

Then the little girl said, "That was a good story. Would you write it down for me?"

And so originated a book that now resides on shelves alongside War and Peace and Don Quixote. The story is almost strange enough for Wonderland.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Oh, it's not that I don't want to read it. Good heavens, no. I'm not opposed to it in any way and I might even do it. The fact that it's Victorian is an incentive for me rather than not. It's just that so far, I haven't.

My Mum listens to audio books all the time, but they don't work for me. My mind wanders. About the only thing, actually, that keeps my mind from wandering is the written word - the rest of the time my mind wanders hither and thither.

*is vague, and stares into the distance*

*pretends is thinking deep thoughts*

I guess we all have a life list of books we "must read". I had such a list once and I began a rigorous schedule with "Ulysses" by James Joyce. That sobered me up pretty quick. Twice through that, because I was so sure I'd missed something, then I gave the whole project up in disgust and decided I'd only read what I liked. Remnants of this idea washed me on to the shores of isle de Henry James recently but luckily a handsome Jump Pilot came and rescued me. :D
Dig deeper.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Yes, it's just impossible to get to everything, even to everything that ought to be called "essential reading."

But if it comes down to a choice between Alice and Jackie Collins...well, do choose wisely.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I'm shocked to the backbone that you even know that Jackie Collins exists!!!!

Collins mere et pere have a great deal to answer for, if you ask me. :x

While I have read my share of dreck over the years, I can state proudly and without fear of contradiction (love saying that) that I have never read any of Ms. Collins' oeuvre.

*is pleased managed to get italics into every sentence.*

eta: Take that, Mr. Fancypants. :x
Last edited by vison on Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dig deeper.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Except the last one. :D

Even on the monitor the difference is close to night and day on those prints. Wow.
Do you realize that Alice was perhaps the first children's book, as we understand the concept?
Interesting idea, and it's true that I at least can't think of one from before. Stories that eventually became "children's stories" were in circulation then, including Bros. Grimm and the like, but those were not intended for kids when written to the best of my knowledge. The Grimm works were half proto-anthropology.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

What's interesting is that the books were not written for children, but for a child. Just one child. Publication was not even on Carroll's mind until George MacDonald, himself a writer of fairy tales, encouraged Carroll to take that step.

I'm not sure there is a muse quite comparable to Alice anywhere in literature. She must have been been quite overwhelmed, as she grew to adulthood and then to old age (she died at 82), to realize what she had inspired.
Voronwë the Faithful

I never knew until I started reading scholarly works about Tolkien that Jacob Grimm is considered probably the greatest philologist of all time. And (moving back somewhat on topic) Tolkien was a great fan of Caroll's works. There were, of course, a lot of comparisons made between Tolkien and Caroll after The Hobbit came out, since they were both Oxford dons who wrote "children's books". There aren't a lot of obvious similarities between The Hobbit and the Alice books, but I bet a closer analysis would come up with some interesting ones.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I honestly did not know that Tolkien liked Carroll; and I suppose I always assumed otherwise. I remember the old paperback LOTR from the sixties, in which there was a review excerpt describing the book as "not for Alice quoters." I always imagined Tolkien regarding the books as trivial and embarrassing, given the fact that he was usually a tough critic who cared for little outside the realm of his personal passions. It's good to hear that this was not the case.

Two new Alice films are in the works, by the way: one will be from Tim Burton, who should give us a properly bizarre alternative to the goofy, cornball Disney version; and the other will be (and I write this with no pleasure) from the semi-human Marilyn Manson. This version will focus on Carroll himself, who will be presented as a semi-psychotic torn by personal demons and pedophilic urges.

Oh, and he'll live in a castle. Sure, why not?
Voronwë the Faithful

Oh, my! :shock: :shock:

Well, the Burton version sounds promising, anyway.

I'll try to gather up some quotes from Tolkien about Caroll when I get a chance.