Links for the less than entirely serious

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Links for the less than entirely serious

Post by Primula Baggins »

Consonant with my continuing tradition (or lamentable habit) of being a less than entirely serious person, I think the Library needs a thread for links to satire, pastiche, literary humour (always "humour"), sarcasm, writerly insult, and other fun stuff. At least, I keep finding them and wishing I could share them with some of you similarly less than entirely serious people. And so *ting* I shall.

In that spirit, I offer a classic post from a blog I love, one I make time to read daily if I can (Making Light, by Teresa and Patrick Nielsen Hayden). They have the kind of comment threads that "degenerate" into rewriting classic poetry in Lolcatz, and the Divine Comedy as an Infocom game—but that's just this post; every post is different, and often the comments are the best and funniest part.

The post includes links to some of the best comment/poems.

http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/ar ... 09050.html
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
BrianIsSmilingAtYou

Post by BrianIsSmilingAtYou »

I love it, Prim!

There's some really brilliant stuff on there.

BrianIs :) AtYou

All of my nieces and nephews at my godson/nephew Nicholas's Medical School graduation. Now a neurosurgical resident at University of Arizona, Tucson.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

These are some seriously smart people.

I've been lurking there for more than a year and have never yet registered or posted, for just that reason. :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King