The Chalet School series

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

The Chalet School series

Post by Alatar »

Just throwing this one out there... my niece has been reading these books that were handed down from my Mother, to her mother (my sister obviously) and now to her. She has about 15 of them in hardback and would love to get more of them. They are of course, long since out of print but I'd like to get her some for Christmas if I can find a suitable reseller. I would prefer to be able to get her the hardback versions to match her own if possible. They are not "genuine" hardbacks as in leather bound, more like a heavy card.

Any suggestions would be a help.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Alatar, I do all my book shoppiing at:

abebooks.com

It's a trade association website and booksellers from all over the world post descriptions of all the books they have for sale. You can do an advanced search of the site for the kind of binding your want or the country the seller is in, etc. Very helpful place. Good for price comparison.

Jn

p.s. you can buy using paypal
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

ABE books is a great institution!!!

I have been able to track down some pretty obscure books from my childhood days. "Tahara, Boy King", "The English Orphans", "The Green Madonna".

I have to stay away from ABE, even second hand if you buy 1,000 books it costs money, eh? ;)
Dig deeper.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

vison, tell me about it!

Jn
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Thanks Guys. Do you by any chance know if the shipping prices there are "per book" or will be less for a bulk order?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

The thing is, you aren't buying from a central warehouse, the books are all at different booksellers, but listed on the same site. There have been times when I found 2 or 3 books at the same store, but usually not. You order from the individual stores.

I don't remember ever seeing any Irish booksellers on the site, but there are plenty in England. Make sure when you "go" there that you hit "UK", and not "US" or "Canada".

If I can't find the book I want in Canada, then I check the US, and last of all I check the UK. But usually I find the book I want on this side of the big water.

One really big store with a really big stock is in Oklahoma or someplace weird like that, don't know what that's all about.
Dig deeper.
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

One really big store with a really big stock is in Oklahoma or someplace weird like that, don't know what that's all about.
Well read cows. Intellectually superior beef.

ttbk
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Yes, I believe Bossy's grandmother was from Oklahoma.
Dig deeper.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

There's a good chance, though, of finding many of the same series at one bookseller because the used booksellers get their stock from estate sales. If they "hit the right attic" they may have an entire series available for just the right buyer. Legitimate booksellers do not look upon shipping fees as a source of revenue, so if there's a postal discount associated with a bulk shipment they will pass that along to you and not charge you more than it actually costs to ship. I've also been able to wrangle price discounts for multiple purchases because they're as anxious to move inventory as everyone else is, and for some of these books the market of collectors is rather small. The seller is as happy to find you as you are to find him/her.

Jn