Mysteries of the Middle Ages by Thomas Cahill

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Mysteries of the Middle Ages by Thomas Cahill

Post by Lalaith »

Is anyone else reading this book? Has anyone else read any of his other books, such as How the Irish Saved Civilization?

I am thoroughly enjoying this latest book so far. :)

True geek confession time: I keep my own "Book of Time." It's a timeline that I add things to as I learn about them. It's nothing fancy; I keep it in a plain binder and use regular notebook paper. But I have each page marked off into a specific chunk of time. (The earlier times might have a space of 100 years on a page; later times have maybe only a 5-10 year span on a page.)

But I get really excited when I can add something interesting to my timeline. I have been doing that now while reading this latest book. :oops:

Lali
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Lali, I haven't read anything by Thomas Cahill, but I just had to comment on your "Book of Time". That is so cool!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I was just going to post the same thing. Extremely cool!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:oops: Thanks.

(I know it's incredibly geeky, but when I started the girls doing theirs for schoolwork, I liked the idea so much that I made my own. I often copy pictures for the girls from books we read or find relevant pictures online, and they glue them into theirs and then write additional, pertinent information. I can't claim the idea, but it is really cool. I suppose its proper name is the "Book of Centuries," and it is a Charlotte Mason education mainstay.)

Lali
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I keep meaning to read "How the Irish saved civilisation". Someday...
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Lalaith, you are such a Ravenclaw. :D :)

Which is a very cool thing to be, by the way. (I have no idea how familiar you are with the Potterverse!)

I love your Book of Time! What a fantastic idea. :)

And yes, I've read 'How the Irish Saved Civilisation' and love it. :) Cahill is a great popular historian.

I've read the follow-up, 'The Gifts of the Jews', which is equally wonderful and made me think in a whole new way about the development of monotheism in Judaism and how the linear concept of time comes directly from monotheism. Fascinating! Made me appreciate the Bible even more.

I've yet to read any more Cahill, but he's certainly on my reading list. :)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Well, I don't know much about the Potterverse, as you say, so I'll take your word on the Ravenclaw thing being a good thing. :)

I've not read Gift of the Jews or Across the Wine Dark Sea (about Greece), but I plan to do so. He's a good writer and makes it all very interesting. I highly recommend the current book.

Alatar, How the Irish Saved Civilization ought to inflate your sense of patriotism to near typical American levels. ;) Seriously, it's a very cool book, and I find myself telling the basic story whenever possible.

(My word, I'm sure that's boring for the people around me, though. :shock: "Oh, no! She's on about the Irish again! RUN!")

Thanks, guys, on the positive comments on my Book of Time. You are reinforcing my nerdiness. Image

Lali
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Lalaith wrote:Well, I don't know much about the Potterverse, as you say, so I'll take your word on the Ravenclaw thing being a good thing. :)
Ravenclaws are the intellectuals. And their common room looks over the mountains of a Scottish loch. 8)
Alatar, How the Irish Saved Civilization ought to inflate your sense of patriotism to near typical American levels. ;)
No kidding. :D

The Irish saved European civilisation and preserved its Christian heritage. :) :love:

One of the most wondrous things I've ever seen in my life is the Book of Kells at Trinity College, Dublin. :love:

Much to the bemusement of my half-brother from Ulster, who was a little gobsmacked that I was getting so excited about a 'holy book'.

"It's a 900 year old holy book!" I said.

And it survived Viking raids. :shock: :)
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I've read about "How the Irish saved Civilisation"

I think I asked for it as a birthday present...
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:D

Okay, then, I'm a Ravenclaw! I like that! :) The Scottish loch sounds lovely, too.

Our local library has a replica of the Book of Kells. :love: It's not the real thing (obviously!), but it's still beautiful. It's one of the few exact replicas in the world.

I would get excited about a 100 year old book, let alone a 900 year old book! One of these days I'll get to see it....

Crucifer, put it back on your birthday list, unless Christmas is coming first for you.

Lali
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

It never came... :bawling:

Ach weel. I'll just get it for myself when I get paid at Christmas.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I've had Cahill on my Must Read list for years and I wish I could get to him.

I got to Jared Diamond, so maybe I'll get to Cahill soon.
Dig deeper.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I've read (and greatly enjoyed) "How the Irish Saved Civilization," "The Gift of the Jews" and "Desire of the Everlasting Hills," which is about Jesus and the early Christian Church. All three are terrific, and I feel sure I'll get to "Mysteries of the Middle Ages" one of these days.
Last edited by WampusCat on Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Wampus, I want to read the other two you've mentioned as well. I was lucky enough to find How the Irish and Mysteries of the Middle Ages at Half-Price Bookstore. :woohoo: So I now own them. :love: (I was particularly thrilled with finding Mysteries because it's a new book. I found it in hardback, and the book is beautifully illustrated/illuminated, if you haven't seen it. It's one of those "pretty" books that gives you a little thrill when you leaf through it.)

Lali
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Great find, Lali! I'll add "Mysteries" to my wish list.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup