Harry Potter - From the Beginning! (May refer to Book 7)

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Harry Potter - From the Beginning! (May refer to Book 7)

Post by Alatar »

I'm currently reading the coimplete Harry Potter series from the beginning again. I originally read books 1-4 in one go, then the others as they came out. I have not revisited any of them before now, except via the movies.

Anyone interested in joining me in a group read?

Anyway, thoughts so far on Philosophers Stone. I have read up to the end of "The Sorting Hat".

Very childish writing style initially. It's a little like trying to treat The Hobbit as the first few chapters of Lord of the Rings. The gulf in writing style is huge.

Its hard to reconcile the Dumbledore of later books with the guy who has all the students singing "Hogwarts Hoggy Hogwarts" at the top of their voices in different tunes. Also, its noticable that Harry's first scar pain is when Snape sees him. I wonder if this is because Quirrel (and therefore Voldemort) is present, or if its Snape himself.
Professor Quirrell, in his absurd turban, was talking to a teacher with greasy black hair, a hooked nose, and sallow skin.
It happened very suddenly. The hook-nosed teacher looked past Quirrell’s turban straight into Harry’s eyes — and a sharp, hot pain shot across the scar on Harry’s forehead.
Harry has already met and talked to Quirrell without feeling this, so I'll be paying attention to see how its handled in later encounters.

As an aside, I'm starting to appreciate how well Columbus and his screenwriter translated the book to film. Not quite as slavish as I thought. The really cringy things like the sorting hats song and the Hogwarts anthem were thankfully dropped.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I did one of these las week , but I'll gladly join in. I agree about both songs. Unecessary, childish distractions.

The writing style is so incredibly different, it could be by a different author.

I've always wondered about that scar hurting business. It's when he meets Snapes eye that it hurts, but that might just be coincidence.

I wonder why the Dark Mark on Snapes arm didn't become clearer while Tom was drinking the Unicorn Blood and gaining strength...
Why is the duck billed platypus?
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

The kiddy stuff makes more sense when you think about the project as a whole, perhaps--the targeted readership (as I understand it) is always about the same age as Harry. Thus, when Harry is what, 10? there's going to be some juvenalia about.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I never thought of it like that.

I just assumed that as she wrote more, her writing style matured.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

That's also possible, certainly. But when the first HP came out, it was very much a Children's Book. The last one was very much NOT one.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

True, true. I suppose, because I read the first one as a child, and the last one as an adult, I didn't really notice that much.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

There you go. Her insidious Master Plan worked. :D
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I thought her insidious master plan was to make millions of people cry their eyes out... :scratch:
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Yes, first as children, then as young teenagers, then as young adults, then as adults. The JKR 10-year plan. 8)
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

And it worked. My my, she should stand for election.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

What, and lose all that respect? :D
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Good point.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

So. Book one finished and a few points of note. Firstly, it feels like it was intended as a completely standalone book. There's obviously sequel material, but not ominous overtones or cliffhangers. In fact, we see Harry heading off to Privet Drive quite cheerful about the prospect of pretending to do magic on the Dursleys.

The pain in Harry's scar had absolutely no consistent relevance. It wasn't shown to be either Quirrel or Snape related and was left vague.

Finally, we are told that the reason Snape hated James more than anything was because he saved his life. Now, maybe I'm missing something here, but I have no recollection of this. Perhaps Dumbledore is speaking figuratively, in that he saved Snape from being a DeathEater, but that was really Lily, not James.

On to the Chamber of Secrets (My least favourite book or movie of the series)

Anyone else reading?
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Alatar wrote:Finally, we are told that the reason Snape hated James more than anything was because he saved his life. Now, maybe I'm missing something here, but I have no recollection of this. Perhaps Dumbledore is speaking figuratively, in that he saved Snape from being a DeathEater, but that was really Lily, not James.
I think that in the PoA, we learned that James saved Snape from being beaten to death by the Whomping Willow after Sirius had set him up.

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

No. He saved him from bing savaged by Lupin in werewolf form. Sirius told Severus about the knot in the Willow, and Severus followed Lupin down, and James just cought Severus in time to save him from being savaged.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Hmm. Sounds like a fudge to me. In the first book we're led to believe that this is the real reason he dislikes Harry, whereas we know there's far more to it than that. I know we can give a logical explanation for it, but it "feels" like JK did a little correction after the fact.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I am sure she did, Al. :)

I find it hard to believe that she had every plot twist and backstory cemented 10 years ago, no matter that the epilogue was down in ink on paper before the second book was published.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

James Saved Severus' life. unfortunately, Severus thinks James was in on the joke.
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

Alatar wrote:Hmm. Sounds like a fudge to me. In the first book we're led to believe that this is the real reason he dislikes Harry, whereas we know there's far more to it than that.
Well, of course there's far more to it, but surely Rowling wouldn't have had Dumbledore telling Harry that James and Sirius had bullied Snape or that he was deeply in love with Lily. To me, it fits perfectly with the gradual unfolding of Snape's backstory and the final revelations of the tale. From what we know now about Dumbledore, I'd say that this first explanation of Snape's feelings for Harry would have been quite.......expedient for the old chessmaster at that particular time. If the incident had never been referred to again or was replaced by something entirely different, then I'd have to agree that Rowling really had little or no idea where she was going with the Snape/Potter sub-plot. But it does become an important point in the PoA, and again, it does lead the reader to believe that this can serve as a very reasonable explanation of Snape's hatred for James and his grudge against Harry.
Crucifer wrote:He saved him from bing savaged by Lupin in werewolf form. Sirius told Severus about the knot in the Willow, and Severus followed Lupin down, and James just cought Severus in time to save him from being savaged.
Thanks for the correction, Crucifer! Sirius certainly has an extremely dark side as well. It's one of the main reasons why I respect these books so much. Rowling doesn't dress up her characters in pure white or black, but rather creates layers that the reader can peel back in order to better understand them. In the end, it is the wonderfully complex humanness of her characters that I think resonates for me more than any other aspect of the tale, and that has come as quite a surprise.

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Ah yes, I know it can be explained logically. Its not quite like Tolkien rewriting "Riddles in the Dark", but its like, say, the Babylon 5 episode where Sheridan and Sinclair both are "the one". Very cleverly tied together in a neat package, but still quite clearly not what was originally intended.

I don't deny her skill in tying it up neatly, but I don't credit her with it being that clearly thought out in advance. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. :)