Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows reviews (SPOILERS)

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Northerner

Post by Northerner »

Finished it, loved it, can't wait for the movie. :D There are so many purely cinematic scenes that it was like watching a film in the reading.

I was saddened by the death of Lupin and Tonks, and don't think that their deaths were unnecessary. The contrast of orphaned Harry and orphaned Teddy reminds us of how far Harry has come from the beginning of the books. Teddy will grow up loved by his own people, while Harry had to fight for his emotional survival from an early age.

I was wiping tears from my eyes when Dobby died, so that worked for me. I was pleased that my faith in Snape was not mistaken, and a bit saddened to find that Dumbledore is no Gandalf. ]

I remain confused about the Elder wand, and I just think that there were too many twists about it.

I was worried that the final book wouldn't live up to my expectations, but JKR delivered, and then some!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

<happy sigh>

I am so relieved. After the bloat of OotP, only somewhat improved in HBP, I was afraid Rowling would not, or would not quite, come through. But for my money, she delivered a satisfying resolution to the story and also one of the most exciting of the books. As I read I enjoyed watching the little "payoff bombs" going off one after another after another, where this or that character or plot thread, or even incidents from earlier books that seemed like complete throwaways, were revealed/explained/brought to a conclusion. That must have been fun to write, but it must also have taken a heck of a lot of planning.

There were a few stretches where I felt conscious of the number of pages that were going by, though mine probably weren't the same as most other people's. I tend to get bored during gigantic battles. :P I kept having to back up a few pages and figure out who was where doing what. I was too eager for the resolution to enjoy the fighting itself.

The deaths were the right ones (ones I would have felt "better" without). I am glad she didn't kill Harry, Ron, Hermione, or Ginny. I really think that would have cast a shadow over the whole series. It might have delivered a more conventionally "wrenching" ending, more powerful and satisfying for adult readers, more "mythic"; but honestly, it might well have wrecked all seven books for many of the young readers I know. And those are the readers who'll keep this series alive for decades to come.

I'll definitely be buying these for my grandchildren, when I have them.

Finally, about the epilogue. I did find this satisfying, to know that Harry had finally found a real family and happiness. No, we got no details of the main characters' actual lives, beyond the names and ages of their children; but I suspect that was deliberate. Rowling was probably leaving the door open for future books—not about Harry Potter himself, that story is over, but possibly about the next generation, meaning Harry and the others would be peripheral but important characters. Anything Rowling specified in this epilogue would tie her hands for the future. I can completely understand why she didn't choose to do that.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
eborr

Post by eborr »

I think the epilogue was a dream - he was back at kings cross afterall
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Now that's a depressing theory. . . . :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

She has revealed more details about the characters and has said she may even do a sort of encyclopedia so fans can get even more information:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959323/
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

I finished it yesterday (or rather, early morning today :blackeye: ) and LOVED it. :D

Haven't had such a riveting read for years! I haven't had such palpable fears about things turning out differently from what I thought they should since being worried sick that Tolkien might kill off anyone of the fellowship. :blackeye: :love:

I had been pretty sure that Harry would survive - but, wow, when Dumbledore asks Snape to tell Harry he'd have to sacrifice his life was a blow. :shock:
I started feverishly thinking of ways he could still live through this, and must admit that I found the resolution as it was handled a bit confusing. It might have had to do with the fact that it was past five in the morning, and I'd been up since six that day, and I'll probably re-read some bits there to see if I missed something, but it seemed to me Rowling had three or four different ideas of how to resolve this and tried to combine them all into one. First, Harry is the last Horcrux and needs to destroy himself to destroy Voldemort, then Harry gets to choose whether he wants to survive, then Voldemort's wand is not powerful enough to kill him anyway, because Draco mastered Dumbledore (when did that happen? :scratch: ) and should be the owner of the wand, and then people can't be killed by Voldemort because Harry meant to die to protect them... :scratch: :help: Just a bit too much, I thought.

Still, the idea that Harry, carrying a bit of Voldemort's soul, needs to destroy himself to destroy V., and agrees to do so - AWESOME, shattering, deeply moving.

Snape - I'm one of those "I trust Snape" swooners, longing for an ending that would show Snape to be one of the best. From the previous experience with Rowling's way of thinking, esp Book III, I felt justified to hope she would have him turn out a hero - but, man, did she do a good job for the first 300 or so pages to convince me she might not. :shock:

And, as it was - well, I'm pleased to see that everything concerning his role in Hogwarts, in killing Dumbledore and in working for Voldemort turned out just the way I would have it turn out, but I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with his motivation. All just out of love for Lily?
I mean, that's sweet and deeply human - but not all that noble, IMO.
Also, while I personally would have let him live, I was expecting him to get killed, it seemed the obvious thing to do - but I would have preferred if it had happened in less casual, meaningless way. Poor Snape. :(
Totally thrilled that we finally got the full story of his youth etc, though. :D

I loved the fast pace of the first half - unlike the three books before, it didn't get lengthy until well into the second half, and even there it was bearable.

I also really liked the epilogue, even though the nature of everybody's future lives made me smile, it was so typical for anglophone cultures. ;)
But we needed a rounding off, a finishing "what became of them", and doing it as a single scene, rather than narratively was pretty nifty, I thought. I mean, it reminded me of the epilogue of 'Tale of two cities', and it had all the same info, and I was surprised Rowling managed to give it without the narrator coming in explicitly.

I also really liked humanising Draco and his parents. But, because of that, I was also a bit disappointed that there wasn't more of a reconciliation.

Also, at one point towards the end I loved it when someone says "We sort too soon", I thought 'YES' - but, then, nineteen years later, they are still doing it, and the old prejudices persist. Bad habits and old enmities die hard, I guess. :(

And wasn't it an odd ending? I'm not sure if we are supposed to be sure that if Voldemort hasn't come back in the last twenty years, he's not going to come back at all, or whether we are supposed to stay aware that he might still come back at any time, Harry's just been lucky to have had twenty years of peace.
Not a bad idea to keep it ambiguous, though. :)

A few things I didn't like:
- too much duelling and general 'action' on a rather childish level (breaking into Gringotts, for example).
(But, then, it is a book for younger readers, so one can hardly complain.)
- everybody... really, everybody... popping up out of nowhere for the great showdown.
- the showdown as such, the kids taking the lead, school revolution etc - all a bit simplistic, for my taste.

Some more good things:
- Hedwig getting killed was an amazing idea - what a blow so early on in the book! :shock: Gave me quite a lump in the throat, too.

- Dobby's death, Harry's mourning for him - really moving.

- Ron and Hermione's love :D

- Luna and Dean - wasn't he the Quidditch Captain? I read someone in the first posts here said what a pity Luna didn't get someone, but she seems to be hooking up with Dean at the end, I thought. Case of geek girl gets captain of football, er, Quidditch team. :D

- hearing more about Petunia and Lily: one can understand Petunia's resentment, but it was also clear how much she lacks the generosity of character Lily possesses.

I'm sure there would be more, but I'm a bit tired still. Also, I'd like to try to respond to posts in this thread better, but couldn't both respond and write up my own first impressions at the same time, so more later, I hope. :)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

because Draco mastered Dumbledore (when did that happen? )
In Half Blood Prince, when Dumbledore and Harry turned up on the top of the astronomy tower after Dumbledore drank the potion around the locket horcrux. Dumbledore, in his last act with his wand, immobilized Harry and Draco blew Dumbledore's wand away (can't remember the scene exactly, still have to re-read it!).

I agree with the :scratch: about Snape's love for Lily though....seemed somewhat unlikely of a reason; the other thing I didn't like about it is that it should have been obvious to James, Sirius, and Lupin, since Snape and Lily had been "best friends" for years, and thus it seems unlikely that Harry wouldn't have known about it.

But overall, though, the wrap up, and the tying up of loose ends, was really amazingly done.

Eru, thanks for the link! I like that Harry is head of the Auror department. However, I'd also like to think that Harry becomes Minister of Magic (remember Trelawney's prediction)? :)
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Thanks for the link, Eru. That did answer some of my nagging questions about the characters' future.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Though they must have gone back to school—either that or gotten a whole slew of credits for Life Experience.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Primula Baggins wrote:Though they must have gone back to school—either that or gotten a whole slew of credits for Life Experience.
Harry set Kreacher to work on the Hogwarts computer database. Graduation with highest marks for all!

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Now, would Jo Rowling countenance such shenanigans?

. . . Errrr.

But would Hermione? :P
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

More info, from an Associated Press story about Rowling's webchat:
Rowling said the world was a sunnier, happier place after the seventh book and the death of Voldemort.

Harry Potter, who always voiced a desire to become an Auror, or someone who fights dark wizards, was named head of the Auror Department under the new wizarding government headed by his friend and ally, Kingsley Shacklebolt.

His wife, Ginny Weasley, stuck with her athletic career, playing for the Holyhead Harpies, the all-female Quidditch team. Eventually, Ginny left the team to raise their three children - James, Albus and Lily - while writing as the senior Quidditch correspondent for the wizarding newspaper, the Daily Prophet.

Harry's best friend, Ron Weasley, joined his brother, George, as a partner at their successful joke shop, Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. Hermione Granger, Ron's wife and the third person of the series' dark wizard fighting trio, furthered the rights of subjugated creatures such as house elves in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures before joining the magical law enforcement squad. The couple had two children - Rose and Hugo.

Luna Lovegood, Harry's airily distracted friend with a love for imaginary animals who joins the fight against Voldemort in the Order of the Phoenix, becomes a famous wizarding naturalist who eventually marries the grandson of Newt Scamander, author of "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them."
Ginny a pro jock? Do you think she used performance enhancing spells?

Ron filling in for Fred as George's partner? Will he always be the sidekick? Did they continue to make piles of galleons?

Hermione: activist and lawyer? Perhaps she will become Minister of Magic.

Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Well, Tom took over the ministry, right?

It was shown to be corrupt, right?

So surely, it was changed with the destruction of Tom and all his minions.

So perhaps the Newts system was changed...

ALso, due to the havoc created by the Battle fo Hogwarts, I doubt anyone took Newts or Owls that year...
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Surely they give you an honorary degree for killing a dark lord?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yeah, and that and three bucks will get you a small coffee at any Starbucks in the kingdom. ;)

I thought in the NBC interviews she said Ron was also an Auror?
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Ron is an auror, but he's gone undercover at the joke shop to bust George for selling illegal artifacts.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It fits! :D
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

In Half Blood Prince, when Dumbledore and Harry turned up on the top of the astronomy tower after Dumbledore drank the potion around the locket horcrux. Dumbledore, in his last act with his wand, immobilized Harry and Draco blew Dumbledore's wand away (can't remember the scene exactly, still have to re-read it!).
Ah, okay - thanks, Ellie. I thought it might be that, but didn't quite remember what happened, except that it wasn't Draco but Snape who finally acted, so I wondered why Draco would be the winner.
the other thing I didn't like about it is that it should have been obvious to James, Sirius, and Lupin, since Snape and Lily had been "best friends" for years, and thus it seems unlikely that Harry wouldn't have known about it.
Good point. Although I think that James & co. seemed to live very much in their own world, and if Lily wanted to chat with that (in their eyes) freak Severus, I guess they'd let her, but they'd still be far too arrogant to notice any feelings on Snape's part.
Comparable to Dumbledore pointing out they wouldn't notice feelings in a house-elf, maybe.

And I don't so much think that it's not an understandable reason, but that it's not a noble enough reason, in a way...still thinking about that, though. :)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Pearly Di
Elvendork

Post by Pearly Di »

Great review, Hobby! :)

(I didn't find the ending ambiguous, btw ... Voldy is deader than a dead doornail, deader than the parrot in the Monty Python sketch!)
truehobbit wrote:Still, the idea that Harry, carrying a bit of Voldemort's soul, needs to destroy himself to destroy V., and agrees to do so - AWESOME, shattering, deeply moving.
JKR completely slew me here. She slew me. SLEW me. :bawl: :bow:
Some more good things:
- Hedwig getting killed was an amazing idea - what a blow so early on in the book! :shock: Gave me quite a lump in the throat, too.
I've already enthused on my Live Journal about what a great, GREAT moment this is. A master-stroke on the author's part, placing this particular death so early on in the book. Bang goes Harry's last thread to his childhood. Poor dear Hedwig! :cry: And she was in a sulk with him to the last, bless her snowy feathers! Harry's reaction totally got to me, because he's so horrified and distraught but uppermost in his mind is his terror for his friends, who are laying so, so much on the line for him. Awesome, JKR. :bow:
"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... "
Letter no. 246, The Collected Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Avatar by goldlighticons on Live Journal
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Pearly Di wrote:Bang goes Harry's last thread to his childhood.
He still has Hagrid (who bought Hedwig for him.)