Duncton Wood

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Duncton Wood

Post by Alatar »

Mentioning "Longest Day" in another thread reminded me of this book. It was once described as "Watership Down meets Lord of the Rings" and thats not a bad description. Instead of Rabbits or Hobbits, however, the protagonists are Moles, who live in a burrow close to an older and more ancient burrow.

Our hero, Bracken, is the runt of his litter and to survive has had to use his wits instead of his strength. Over the course of the book we find out that there were once 7 great burrows in Moledom, each surrounding a standing stone. Bracken ends up on a quest to the Great Stone to find his destiny and save his burrow and the religion of the old ways. Its a clever mix of pagan mysticism, political intrigue, power struggles and an adventure quest.

In the giant mole Mandrake, we have one of the best drawn villains I've ever read. Viciously terrifying, but also vulnerable and lost, a product of his birth and survival in the wastes of Siabod under the shadow of the stone. Added to that we have the complication that his daughter Rebecca is loved by Bracken, and in eternal fear of her father, while also pursued by the insidious Rune, a power hungry politician of the worst kind. In fact as the book develops we find that the real power and terror resides in Rune, not Mandrake, the power behind the throne as it were.

Now, much as it might sound like it, I have not given you even close to a synopsis of the story. Its wonderfully detailed and epic in nature. Also, despite having animal protagonists, this is not a kids book. There's sex and violence, even a suggestion of rape at one point, but I think probably disguised enough that a younger reader could miss it.

So, has anyone else read it? Loved it? Hated it?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Years ago. It was pretty good.
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It sounds good. This is the first time I've heard of it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King