Let's read "Werther"

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

Crucifer wrote:So it's a little bit Wagnerian? A big bit, even?
Jules Massenet, actually. :D

I've never read Werther, but I have sung the very beautiful aria "Pourquoi me Reveiller" from Massenet's opera. :)
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

Tom, why don't you join us in reading it now, and when we're through, you can post a comparison to the opera.

You know...adaptation... ;) :D

I'm hoping people will get back to the book once we've digested the new Harry Potter. :)
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

My brother has read it (in German), perhaps I can just get a summary from him? :D (I do recall him mentioning someone about Werther's lack of maturity or some such.)

I'm afraid that to make a comparison between Goethe's work and the operatic adaptation I'd have to become more familiar with the opera. I have a recording, but have only listened to it once or twice and have not taken the time to follow it with the libretto.

I'd like to join but I'm afraid I'm not doing much reading these days. I try to read a little during my lunch break at work, but more often these days I spend it speaking with co-workers. I used to read a bit in bed before turning out the light but I get to bed so late these days that I cannot read more than a sentence or two before setting it back on my nightstand.
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

My brother has read it (in German), perhaps I can just get a summary from him?
No Cliff Notes here, I'm afraid, Tom! :P ;)

I'd have to become more familiar with the opera.
Doesn't sound so horrible to me. :D

But it's ok, it just was worth a try to poke you to join. :)

:hug:
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
truehobbit

Post by truehobbit »

Seeing how inactive the group-read is, it doesn't seem to make sense for me to try to suggest the next steps and what to discuss. I've subscribed to the thread, so if anyone is interested in continuing reading or discussing something they've read, just post, and I'll get back in here. :)

elsha, I hope you get back to picking this up, it was a great start! :hug: