Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows—NO SPOILERS OR YOU DIE!

Discussion of fine arts and literature.

How excited are YOU?

32%
No votes
16%
11%
5%
11%
No votes
5%
5%
16%

Total votes: 19

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I think it depends on who's in charge. The Borders I was at had a huge crush, but no yelling and no unpleasant incidents that I witnessed. The employees and customers were both patient.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

There was no one in line at the grocery store at midnight. There were no riot police present, no obnoxious employees, I'm pretty sure the security guard was in the back room sleeping. I went through the self-check out lane so I can't even say the cashier was curt. I feel deprived somehow.

On the other hand, I was at home reading by 12:30, so maybe not.

:D
nerdanel wrote:The San Francisco Values edition? Really, it's way cooler. In the SF Values edition of GoF, Rowling describes the streams from Voldemort's wand and Harry's wand interlocking to produce powerful magic (priori incantatem). It's a great read.
Wand. Heh-heh, you said wand, heh-heh.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

We walked by a huge pile of DH books at Costco on Monday. Marked down to $17. I don't think anyone gave then another glance. I still don't have mine, but I got an even better deal from Amazon.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

On the day it was released, many bookstores had a rush, and some of them sold out. But, a few days later, I simply walked into a department store, and there were several copies of the book available. No rush, no inconvenience, no need to stay awake and queue through the night... :P
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Well, to be fair, the excitement of the release party was fun for its own sake, for a lot of people, and worth the crowds and queuing.

If I'm eager to see a "big release" movie, I love to go on opening night, even if that involves some line time. There's just an energy to it that I enjoy, and so does the rest of my family.

But I can also understand that the hassle and crowds would not be worth it for everyone.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Actually, I picked one up the day after with no queue either. That said, I already snagged it and read it to avoid spoilers.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Ah, but the queueing was so much fun!
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

Sure, line parties and costumes are great fun, if you're really into it. But as for me, I've got more comfort-loving with age so, I'll rather wait for a day or two. :P
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I would have been satisfied to do the same, frankly, but the kids outvoted me.