Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows—NO SPOILERS OR YOU DIE!

Discussion of fine arts and literature.

How excited are YOU?

32%
No votes
16%
11%
5%
11%
No votes
5%
5%
16%

Total votes: 19

tinwë

Post by tinwë »

I must have gotten one of the ones that was missing pages. My book said nothing at all about Hermione being a guy, or Harry and Malfoy eloping, or Voldemort renouncing the dark side and becoming a florist.

:D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:x

I'm reading it by snatching it up whenever my daughter puts it down. I've gotten all the way to page 70. :roll:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Oy tinwë! No spoilers here!
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Griff and I bought two copies to make sure we didn't have that problem, Prim. :D

I'm done, and she's about 200 pages from finishing. I keep telling her fake spoilers of the ending.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

You're a crool man, Faramond. Crool.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

tinwë wrote:I must have gotten one of the ones that was missing pages. My book said nothing at all about Hermione being a guy, or Harry and Malfoy eloping, or Voldemort renouncing the dark side and becoming a florist.

:D
You still are missing pages. It's actually a menage-a-trois, featuring Harry, Malfoy, and Volde-florist.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Nel, I hate to break it to you, but you apparently got the special San Francisco Values edition.

The rest of us are reading something much more wholesome and uplifting.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

More uplifting than a wizard threesome?
Wow, no wonder this book's so popular.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Yeah. My copy has a big orgy in the great hall. Much more wholesome.
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

I got the illustrated version. =:)
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Can I have it next? Plz?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Ah. I see I was misinformed. Now I understand the midnight parties. :D
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

So, my book-getting experience wasn't all that great.

I got to B&N around 6:20pm and the line to get tickets was looong. I had to wait 50 minutes to get my ticket. :neutral: Judging by the group I was in, I was going to be around the 220th person to get the book...sooo way back in the line. I was contemplating not worrying about getting the book that night.

We got to the party around 10pm and it was fairly lame. :P Nothing to see or do really, so we went to Razoo's next door and had some drinks. We walked back around 11:30pm and wanted to walk around to the entrance of the store, but couldn't as there was some loud, shrill, annoying employee yelling at everyone to get off of the road (the parking lot road mind you...there was no traffic as they had it shut off...I guess the police wanted it empty for fire reasons). No one was allowed in the store because of fire code (fair enough) but there wasn't any room to walk on the sidewalk because people were standing on it all around the building. So we went the opposite way of her and managed to make it to the front of the building which had a bit more standing room.

We had to endure her shrill yelling some more as she made her way around the building over and over (people were starting to ignore her because she was so annoying). Finally my group was called and we rushed to get in line. Some lady and her teenaged daughters shoved in front of me and then had the audacity to complain about the line not being single file. I said this aloud to Nick in a volume she could definately hear. =:) Then the police officer starts to threaten all of us saying he'll shut this whole thing down if we don't move. Of course none of us knew what he wanted us to do. We were just excited about getting the book. Finally we understand and move, but still was all the threats and rudeness necessary? You could kindly ask people to move and they'd do it. It's supposed to be fun and exciting and it's crap to put a stain on people's experience. I heard one guy saying there was a cop writing $1,000 tickets. No idea if that was true or not.

I suppose it was interesting to see the whole phenomenon, but really, I could have waited until the morning like I did all the other times. :P I was too tired to read much of the book anyway. :P
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

Anyone can borrow my illustrated edition of HPXXX as long as they don't mind the drool spots on the pictures of Harry, Ron, Draco, etc. :D

Eru, that sounds like a frustrating experience! :neutral: I guess some people take any opportunity to exert control. Although I do understand how hectic the release must have been for all the bookstore salespeople and the cops and security guards involved.

When I got my book, the store employees only let one color wristband inside the store at a time after about 11:50. I waited in line for my wristband early, so luckily I got the first color and was able to get my book really soon. But a few security guards had everyone else stand outside one of the two entrances to the store. My car was parked near that entrance, so that's where I was planning to leave from...when I got there, the security guard told me it was best if I went to the other entrance because he wasn't sure I'd be safe going through this one with all the people. :shock: Apparently he thought it was likely I'd get mugged!
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

[In case anyone saw my VERY briefly posted response to Prim, I thought better of it and deleted it. I had a tongue-in-cheek response to "San Francisco values," but I wasn't sure whether it went too far with the innuendo and didn't want to force anyone to decide which side of the line my comment was on.]
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

[And if anyone saw my VERY briefly posted response, they know there was no problem. :P ]
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Prim, I had to do much the same as you...except my daughter wouldn't let go of the book until after she'd discussed it at length with her online buddies over the course of two days - she needed the book to type in copious quotes for her refutations and assertions. :D

She practised extreme self-denial; she had refused to go online at all between the official release time and the end of her first read due to fear of spoilers. I guess the brush with danger she'd had earlier with my offer to tell what I knew should she insist that I do so was warning enough to stay away from temptation. :D
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Upon reflection, I will continue my promotion of the San Francisco lifestyle. Here's what I had written to Prim.
Prim wrote:Nel, I hate to break it to you, but you apparently got the special San Francisco Values edition.

The rest of us are reading something much more wholesome and uplifting.
The San Francisco Values edition? Really, it's way cooler. In the SF Values edition of GoF, Rowling describes the streams from Voldemort's wand and Harry's wand interlocking to produce powerful magic (priori incantatem). It's a great read.

:cheers:

Now Prim, I'd just like to see your response to that. :P If you aren't too busy flying out to SF to buy our versions.
I won't just survive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform

But still I rise
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

<is already at airport>
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Wow. I can't believe the queue descriptions you guys have been giving.
In Cork, it was single file all day, no security ar police, no employees shouting shrilly about moving etc. It was very orderly and well behaved.
Except for one old woman who to be honest was a little scary.