Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows—NO SPOILERS OR YOU DIE!

Discussion of fine arts and literature.

How excited are YOU?

32%
No votes
16%
11%
5%
11%
No votes
5%
5%
16%

Total votes: 19

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The One Ring wrote:Apparently one of our radio djs yesterday did a riff on the new Harry Potter in an afternoon talk show and pretended to reveal which of the characters died. I didn't hear the show so I don't know which character it was, and when they were talking about it today they were not permitted to repeat what he had said. But it seems that his riff talked about reading the book, saying it was only 40 pages long, and [character x] does die in a car accident on I-95! And then he went on to describe Hermione's reaction to the death by repeating some well-known scene from the Sopranos or something like this.

It was supposed to be so obviously not true that people would laugh.

The talk show is aimed at adults, by the way; it's not a children's show, judging by the language. But it seems that a lot of kids (teenagers probably) heard this, and thought that the dj had really revealed the ending of the new Harry Potter book, and there was a storm of parents down at the radio station demanding that the dj be fired.

And ... guess what? The management put him on a one-day suspension for spoiling Harry Potter.

Another day in the life of popular culture!
:shock:

The modern day equivalent of The War of the Worlds! Somehow I don't think that Orson Wells got a one-day suspension for causing mass panic about the invasion of the Martians. This says something about how things have changed in the past 70 years, but I'm not sure I want to speculate about exactly what it says.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Oh no, that's the real book. It's 40 pages of text and 740 pages of artwork. In essence, Voldemort takes over a Mercedes-Benz dealership, kills all the Muggles, and turns the car into a Horcrux. He's speeding down I-95 with Wormtail at his side, poking the six-disc CD player with his wand, when Fred and George approach from above in their dad's bewitched flying Muggle car, destroy the Mercedes-Horcrux, and kill Voldemort by repeatedly exposing him to the music of Paris Hilton. When Hermione hears the news, she says, "Way cool, dude. Let's get a butterbeer." And thus the book ends.

*relies on the goodwill and mercy of the Marshals not to get banned*
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

nel wrote:Oh no, that's the real book. It's 40 pages of text and 740 pages of artwork. In essence, Voldemort takes over a Mercedes-Benz dealership, kills all the Muggles, and turns the car into a Horcrux. He's speeding down I-95 with Wormtail at his side, poking the six-disc CD player with his wand, when Fred and George approach from above in their dad's bewitched flying Muggle car, destroy the Mercedes-Horcrux, and kill Voldemort by repeatedly exposing him to the music of Paris Hilton. When Hermione hears the news, she says, "Way cool, dude. Let's get a butterbeer." And thus the book ends.
Wow. If only Rowling could hone her skills to create that kind of literary masterpiece.

I'm studiously avoiding the spoilers thread because I won't be able to get my hands on the book until tomorrow........'tis hard, don't ya know. :help:

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

I was amazed that the queue last night was so incredibly orderly. My friend and I went in at 7.30, to get good spots in the queue. Her parents, who were giving me a lift home afterwards, didn't get there until 11. I got my book at 00.10. We didn't get out of there until 2.30.
Why is the duck billed platypus?
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

Perfection. :)

I got my book by 12:15, thanks to my shiny wristband with #11 written on it, and was home reading twenty minutes later. Just now finished.

:)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

My 19-year-old son was so agitated just before finishing the book that he had to go out for a walk. Then when he finished he was very odd and elusive. About an hour later he admitted, "I cried. I cried a lot."

My daughter has it now. Then it's my turn!

Here's some of the Weasley family last night. Left to right: Ginny (my daughter); Mr. Weasley (my son); Mrs. Weasley (my son's girlfriend).

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Hem hem.

How does one post pictures?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

(1) We have a gallery, which <looks shiftily both ways> I've never learned how to use. I really need to do that. The gallery hosts the images here, and we have plenty of bandwidth.

(2) Not knowing how to use the gallery, I use Photobucket. You open a free account and upload the photo you want to post. Photobucket stores them for you neatly, and there's code under each photo that you simply copy and paste into your post (the [ IMG ] codes are what we use here). The photo will appear where the [ IMG ] code is in the post.

Caveats: JPGs, please, and as small a file as gives a reasonable image. You can keep the size and reduce the quality to save file space, and it won't be visible over the Web. People with dial-up connections and/or old computers need the consideration.

Also, please don't make the images more than 600 pixels wide (the width of my image above). This is plenty big but doesn't stretch most people's screens.

PM me if you have any questions. :)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

So it's like [img]photobucket%20code[/img]

And it comes up? Photobucket.com?

One member of the Weasley family (Percy) was in Cork you see.
elfshadow
Dancing in the moonlight

Post by elfshadow »

Crucifer wrote:So it's like [img]photobucket%20code[/img]

And it comes up? Photobucket.com?

Yep. :) It's even easier than that, actually. Once you upload an image to photobucket it should have lines of code below it or beside it. All you have to do is click inside the box that says "IMG Code" and your browser will automatically copy it, then just paste it into the reply box.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Right. Let's get this thread back where it should be so. Thanks for the help.

So here's me, as Percy Weasley, being all stern and imposing and stuff. I'm in black because I'm in mourning, because it's all over, and also because Dumbledore's dead.

Here's my friend Muireann, as a Witch dressed as a muggle, 'tho you can't see the whole outfit.

[Edited by friendly shirriff to fix photos - VtF]
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Crucifer, great photos, but they're way too big.

You can cut them down right in Photobucket—I think you select the photo, then click Edit. They may also let you rotate the first one so it's upright.
Athrabeth

Post by Athrabeth »

<remembers discovering Photobucket> :love:

<remembers first disasterous attempts to post pics on a messageboard> :oops:

Crucifer, Prim's right.......the editing options are really easy to follow. :)

And thanks for the posting the pics. You know, you DO rather look like how I imagine ol' prissy Percy in that photograph (I've totally forgotten what Percy looks like in the films.....I guess it's been a while since we've seen his character!)

Who could be so lucky? Who comes to a lake for water and sees the reflection of moon.
Jalal ad-Din Rumi
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Boy, are we seeing some Very Convincing Weasleys in this thread! :D
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Ta, VTF, for cutting them down to size.

I'm not very good at that sort of thing.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:shock:
Magic missing for some 'Harry Potter' readers
By Craig Harris
Seattle Post-Intelligencer
At least 200 people across the country who bought "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" this past weekend could use a little wizardry to help them get through the book.

And it's not because the final installment of the series about a boy wizard, Muggles and Hogwarts is too long.

The books, first made available Saturday, have printing errors that include missing pages. At least three QFC stores in the Renton/Maple Valley area had problems, with one book missing at least 30 pages.

Kristin Maas, a QFC spokeswoman, said the grocery chain has made calls to Scholastic Inc., the U.S. publishing giant that sold 8.3 million "Deathly Hallows" books in the first 24 hours, and will replace any books with errors. Maas did not know how many books had problems.

"Printing and distributing 12 million copies of a book is a Herculean task, and it is not surprising at all that some would have printing errors," Scholastic said in a statement Monday morning.

Scholastic initially said it had just 21 books with errors, but that number had increased to 200 by early afternoon.

Sara Sinek, a Scholastic spokeswoman, said the errors were reported in different parts of the U.S., and the company expected to have a handful of problems because the seventh Harry Potter book, at 759 pages, had such a massive run.

Sinek said it took 288 million blocks of text or sections to create 12 million books.

"That puts into perspective the huge quantity we are talking about," Sinek said.

The problems, however, could be growing.

A handful of readers on message boards at Amazon.com and eBay voiced complaints Monday over missing pages, and the BBC reported that a batch of books in Australia and New Zealand had two chapters gone.

Scholastic said it will replace any book that has an error; customers may call 800-724-6527 for a replacement. Sinek said customers also could return a problem book to where it was sold.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

My pleasure, Crucifer. It's great to see what you look like. I'll bet the young women swoon (despite the stern and imposing expression).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

the seventh Harry Potter book, at 759 pages, had such a massive run.
But there are 607 pages...
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I think I remember reading somewhere that the U.S. version is longer. No extra words, just differences in appearance.

Unless pages are missing, of course.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Bigger type, more white space, I believe.